The online racing simulator
the problem with smokemod (much less LFS) .. sand and grass dont mysteriously form into a yellowish or green cloud of dust, grass splurts everywhere in patches, and sand just falls to the ground quickly

while smoke on the other hand pours out (keyword being pour) not shot out like it is now (and what the smokemod does)
Smoke suggestion (NB: dont judge a thread by it's title)
Ello,

I did a bit of a search and came across a few threads that have people asking for "more smoke" but that's not quite what this is about.

Being a bit of a drift lover, i quite often get out on the track and throw the ass end of my car around. One unfortunate thing is that the smoke doesn't appear until the tyres are red.

I've attached a demo below of me drifting till my tyres pop and as you can see, the smoke starts pouring out once the tyres are red. Problem being that by the time the good stuff happens (the smoke), the tyres are dead.

My suggestion to improve would be:

"DUST/SMOKE LOD" on maximum, enables instant smoke as though they tyres were red, and perhaps a hell of a lot more smoke once they are warmed up too. This gives the people with high-end PC's the enjoyment of nice thick, realistic smoke. Basically as soon as you start spinning your cold tyres, the smoke starts bellowing as it does IRL, and for added effect, once the tyres are really cooked, the smoke just becomes rediculous, allowing for some nice burnout shots. -> http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/1582/burnout5qj.jpg

Plus with the option of turning down the "DUST/SMOKE LOD" it gives the low end PC users the ability to play the game at a decent frame rate.
Attached files
drifttillpop.mpr - 295 KB - 376 views
Why not use... smokemod? Okay, it doesn't fix the time WHEN smoke starts coming out, but you can make the smoke much thicker and last longer (but I guess you know this already).

Quote from Shinanigans :Ello,

I did a bit of a search and came across a few threads that have people asking for "more smoke" but that's not quite what this is about.

Being a bit of a drift lover, i quite often get out on the track and throw the ass end of my car around. One unfortunate thing is that the smoke doesn't appear until the tyres are red.

I've attached a demo below of me drifting till my tyres pop and as you can see, the smoke starts pouring out once the tyres are red. Problem being that by the time the good stuff happens (the smoke), the tyres are dead.

My suggestion to improve would be:

"DUST/SMOKE LOD" on maximum, enables instant smoke as though they tyres were red, and perhaps a hell of a lot more smoke once they are warmed up too. This gives the people with high-end PC's the enjoyment of nice thick, realistic smoke. Basically as soon as you start spinning your cold tyres, the smoke starts bellowing as it does IRL, and for added effect, once the tyres are really cooked, the smoke just becomes rediculous, allowing for some nice burnout shots. -> http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/1582/burnout5qj.jpg

Plus with the option of turning down the "DUST/SMOKE LOD" it gives the low end PC users the ability to play the game at a decent frame rate.

I hear what you'r saying, but on the subject of drift, I have gotten the idea that drifting is not about how much smoke you produce but the degree of sideways action and flow?

I don't drift, I'm a grip racer, however I find it fun to watch the FZ5 AI at aston north using one of the two drift sets I found on the forum or inferno?

They really get sideways and some long sweeping action, I can't do it myself but can see the spectator value, but as you say little smoke but lots of rubber marks which I think is more important?

ShannonN
Quote from ShannonN :I hear what you'r saying, but on the subject of drift, I have gotten the idea that drifting is not about how much smoke you produce but the degree of sideways action and flow?

I don't drift, I'm a grip racer, however I find it fun to watch the FZ5 AI at aston north using one of the two drift sets I found on the forum or inferno?

They really get sideways and some long sweeping action, I can't do it myself but can see the spectator value, but as you say little smoke but lots of rubber marks which I think is more important?

ShannonN

A big trail of thick smoke would add a lot to the spectacle
Yeah it's all about the visual aspect. It looks 10x better when there's actually smoke coming from the car whilst you're drifting. When you've got a spare 100mb, download 'feint' in the movies section and you'll see what i mean

Android, if the problem was that i wanted more smoke, then i've already got that covered because i have smokemod (check the screenshot i posted ) but the problem isn't more smoke required, it's faster/instant production of smoke that i would love to see.
A better suggestion is to have particles die when they hit the car, or flow around the car!
#8 - mik22
what is/how to i get smokemod
Click on the Kegetys link in my sig.
We need faster smoking tyres, if not only for visual reasons, but in the name of REALISM, what this 'game' is all about

edit: wtf i've been writing? realistic or not, its still a visual effect.
Is smoke so important, in the name of realism?
When I read the thread title again today, I thought it was going to be about weed or something...

Don't have more to say than, there should be more smoke, I would like to see a complete haze of smoke when someone spun out or something, especially if they have hit the dirt. Last real life crash I've seen, with a guy going in to the kitty litter, I couldn't see the car at first because of all the dust... Would be nice to simulate this.
i think more smoke would be cool but i think it would be better if the smoke actually looked somewhat real. it really doesnt look real at all to me right now and just shoots out in little spurts. also im not sure why people who dont even drift even comment on drifting?? who are you guys to suggest things or conflict things that dont even concern you? doesnt really make sense
Because the smoke also considers grippers, as to be seen in my previous post. As always I'm too laizy to read it again, but I think he said he liked drifting, and found out that way there wasn't enough smoke coming from cold tyres... So this thread imo isn't only for drifters...
This IS the thread for cold tyre smoke production!

That's a good way of putting it actually.

I don't really think it's too necessary for there to be MORE smoke, because as you can see when you're tyres are red, there's plenty of smoke. Just not enough/any when your tyres are cold.

This is the reason i made the suggestion in the other thread about drifting tyres. If the drifters had an optional "drift tyre" to chose from, which produced more/coloured smoke then regular tyres, then it would allow the grippers to go about their daily business and not be concerned with 10fps start line launches as everyone spins their wheels at the start of a race, etc etc.
Quote from Blackout :Is smoke so important, in the name of realism?

No it isn't

But ppl want dynamic weather (partly visual thing), because it's realistic. Ppl wanted wind (mainly visual thing), because it's realistic. Ppl want even racing trucks and I've heard no objections, because they exist in real life too. But I don't get why anyone has to say anything against this smoke thing. Maybe it's not the highest priority of things that has to be done, but it's definately one of those things that has to be done.
Need Help
i downloaded the smokemod and set it in my data folder right but i cant seem to get the smoke like your picture you posted Shinanigans and i have the dust lod on 1.00 and i dont know wut to do cuz i still cant get as much smoke as you can any1 help me.
Quote from lilloco_93 :i downloaded the smokemod and set it in my data folder right but i cant seem to get the smoke like your picture you posted Shinanigans and i have the dust lod on 1.00 and i dont know wut to do cuz i still cant get as much smoke as you can any1 help me.

IIRC there's a readme.txt file included in the smoke mod files. It contains instructions how to get more smoke.
Yes, there is a config line needs edited. I think there's a line for opacity and one for volume.
But bear in mind that filling your screen up with smoke like that might look cool but it will probably kill your frame rate - the SmokeMod doesn't make the particle system any more efficient
I think most have missed the thread starter's point, which is that different materials have different behaviours when kicked up by the tyres.

You could extend this and say that grass is not simply a slippier version of tarmac (as seems to be the case in LFS). Tyres leave skidmarks on tarmac, but leave ruts in grass; an accumulation of skidmarks might create a grippier line whereas an accumulation of ruts presents a serious hazard.

Ultimately this is really about how the environment is simulated, not a question of having more or less smoke.
I definetly have to agree with this, even if they dont give us more smoke, it needs to be more realistic, it is some kind of haze now, like mist, not the thick white clouds we are all used to.
smokemod
there is a readme txt. but the fact is it dont tell me how to install it cus it just tells me to reduce the smoke lod in the ingame menu for the fps.It dont tell me how to axtually install it cuz every time i click on the app. a litle black box appears and has a text which says Loading Config C:/windows/systym32/
"awaiting lfs" i dont know wut to do i downloaded the
Smokemod v1.1 for S2 Alpha 0.5V
@
http://www.kegetys.net/lfs/
i need help
Quote from lilloco_93 :there is a readme txt. but the fact is it dont tell me how to install it cus it just tells me to reduce the smoke lod in the ingame menu for the fps.It dont tell me how to axtually install it cuz every time i click on the app. a litle black box appears and has a text which says Loading Config C:/windows/systym32/
"awaiting lfs" i dont know wut to do i downloaded the
Smokemod v1.1 for S2 Alpha 0.5V
@
http://www.kegetys.net/lfs/
i need help spelling

I made your post a bit more useful.
If it says awaiting LFS, what do you think it means? It's awaiting it to ask it out for a date?

Run LFS, it might work (I don't know if it they are compatible anymore so.. it might not work).
Quote from Shinanigans :Click on the Kegetys link in my sig.

last release was for s2u so it wont work with Y!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG