The online racing simulator
Mods, good thing or bad thing for LFS
I understand that some LFS racers need some modding.

But in regard to the mediocrity of most the mods available, I am in doubt.

Developing a race car is a difficult task. That may take months or years of hard work, dedication and knowledge.

What LFS needs is more professional cars and more laser scanned tracks.

To Scawen: Excuse me for my sincerity but is not this some diversion to appease some users.

LFS needs to be updated.

I don't recognize anymore my LFS.
#2 - rik97
Try out league races. We use still original cars, but also good mod cars.
Bad thing for lfs.
xd
I still don't get it, why you think it's a bad thing? Please explain. Because people can't make a proper mod? After all we are not pros at this. But if more modders are using default LFS cars as reference - it would be OK-ish. Shrug

By the way there are already some mods that are very strange (unappropriate) and I don't know why are they even published. I find them somewhat offending, but I won't mention any names.
Scawen explained the reasons he started the mods project: there were more and more illegal copies of LFS with mods circulating in the internet. This meant less income from the game. Mods feature apparently was in high demand, and it also centralized control over multiplayer, to cut illegal copies from new future features, and make those users pay.

I think it's fair.

Sure, not all mods are excellent, I do see many issues, but every feature has trade-offs.
Quote from Evolution_R :I still don't get it, why you think it's a bad thing? Please explain. Because people can't make a proper mod? After all we are not pros at this. But if more modders are using default LFS cars as reference - it would be OK-ish. Shrug

By the way there are already some mods that are very strange (unappropriate) and I don't know why are they even published. I find them somewhat offending, but I won't mention any names.

I have nothing to explain.I agree there are great mods,but i dont get the reason why allow mods like bin,plane,antivax.If u look after what is Live For Speed, it says "Live for Speed is a serious racing simulator." You guys want to have serious car racing whit bins-planes?

I'd say keep 10 great,well made mods,add those to current available cars.

What LFS needs (In my opinion) is
-Tyre physics
-Day/Night cycle
-New track configurations
-And finally get rid of eric kerb (this thing basically kills racing)
Thank you, this is a better response than just 'mods are bad thing'. Smile
Topic name is "Mods, good thing or bad thing for LFS"Thumbs up
Quote from adirany :I understand that some LFS racers need some modding.

But in regard to the mediocrity of most the mods available, I am in doubt.

Developing a race car is a difficult task. That may take months or years of hard work, dedication and knowledge.

What LFS needs is more professional cars and more laser scanned tracks.

To Scawen: Excuse me for my sincerity but is not this some diversion to appease some users.

LFS needs to be updated.

I don't recognize anymore my LFS.

You need to understand that everythings has its upsides and downsides, there is no perfect decision when it comes to allowing community involvment into the game content creation.

What I mean is, without modding we would probably not see some of the actual (and future) well crafted mods and since as we know LFS is a small budget game, we won't expect comparable amount of content from the devs themselves anytime soon.

But at the same time, it's true that the content that the devs did or are doing in the future has a guaranteed quality that mods don't fill most of the time, that's why I could understand the logic behind refusing mods support.

So that's why, and if you noticed, there is a tight integration and multiple filters to promote decent mods and to encourage modders to make some efforts into their work, and I think this is the best approach to, at least partially, resolve the lack of quality of some mods.
Quote from Viperakecske :-And finally get rid of eric kerb (this thing basically kills racing)

And again - it's not Eric-curb that has the bad effect,but actually Scawen-tyre! So when the new tyre physics are finally ready,Eric's work will not cause such side effects.
I really think that it will be difficult to find a modder with the skills of Scawen for making cars or the skills of Eric for making tracks.

As lfsrm said this is a small team of developers.

But a new car or new (laser scanned) track from time to time should be possible.

Personally I refuse to use any mod because I think that a user can not develop a car for another user (It does not have the technical knowledge to do so).
Quote from adirany :I really think that it will be difficult to find a modder with the skills of Scawen for making cars or the skills of Eric for making tracks.

As lfsrm said this is a small team of developers.

But a new car or new (laser scanned) track from time to time should be possible.

Personally I refuse to use any mod because I think that a user can not develop a car for another user (It does not have the technical knowledge to do so).

No need for laser scanned track,just make something great like South City! Na-na
Quote from adirany :Personally I refuse to use any mod because I think that a user can not develop a car for another user (It does not have the technical knowledge to do so).

Thats a ridiculous reason not to use any mods. There are some very well made mods by top ranked drivers, so that tells me they have a good understanding of how the mod should behave. Your comment shows a lack of support for the modding community, in my opinion.

That being said, I do agree that not all should be made available because someone decided to make it, because there are some strange creations. I think that the LFS staff or people with the expertise decide which mods are selected or not with tests and scrutineering, not just leave everything out there for the community to decide. The process needs to made tighter. Maybe a LFS FIA, but less corrupt of course.
I think they are a good thing. It's inevitable some mods will be poor, but their existence is not really a problem for me...just ignore them.

My biggest disappointment with mods is the lack of use of them online. There really are some truly great mods already that would make great race servers, but no one seems to run them or be interested in joining them.

I guess I should not be surprised though as it was similar in Assetto Corsa; plenty of triple A quality mods, but they never get used online. People rather stick to official content.

Quote from adirany :Personally I refuse to use any mod because I think that a user can not develop a car for another user (It does not have the technical knowledge to do so).

Try this mod; https://www.lfs.net/files/vehmods/A6DFB4
I think it will change your mind as to whether users can make content equivalent to official quality.
No offense DratsaB, but I prefer (trust more the physics of) the XFG.
Well, if things are taken so seriously (after all these are mods), then developers shouldn't allow mods in first place. In any game. Which is not the case.
Quote from Evolution_R :Well, if things are taken so seriously (after all these are mods), then developers shouldn't allow mods in first place. In any game. Which is not the case.

I would insist on the fact that making a quality car is very complicated.

The XFG and the Swift are both front wheel drive and have approximately the same power.

Every lap in the XFG is a pure joy.

I tried the Swift but sorry I can not say the same for it.
Quote from adirany :I would insist on the fact that making a quality car is very complicated.

The XFG and the Swift are both front wheel drive and have approximately the same power.

Every lap in the XFG is a pure joy.

I tried the Swift but sorry I can not say the same for it.

How can you enjoy FWD cars Uhmm
Quote from adirany :I think that a user can not develop a car for another user (It does not have the technical knowledge to do so).

While I agree that most of the mods are shit physics-wise, some of us do have actual engineering background, knowledge and resources to deliver a good mod; convincing yourself that everyone but devs is incapable to create a car that drives as it should is rather short-sighted.
Quote from michal 1279 :While I agree that most of the mods are shit physics-wise, some of us do have actual engineering background, knowledge and resources to deliver a good mod; convincing yourself that everyone but devs is incapable to create a car that drives as it should is rather short-sighted.

Try to build a car from scratch (not based on any other car) and I would be the first to try it.

you will soon realize that it is a monumental task and you will abandon your project in two or three days.

If you build your car based on another car, I prefer the original if the quality is there.
Mods being bad for LFS is absolutely a ridiculous claim. It allowed devs to get some more income which motivates them to continue improving the game. May I remind you that server hosts has the ability to restrict mods usage. With that being said, why don't you start paying and renting an LFS server where you will invest time and money to organize something that you and others will like.

Restricting mods is destroying user creativity and I'm happy that people make all kinds of very good mods. The devs gave us a great tool. How we use it, it's entirely on us.

For now, the biggest problem is to update AIRIO such that it fully supports moded cars. We managed to do some workarounds and make it work partially, but without access to source code, it's a dead-end, unfortunately. On the other hand, there are already some promising alternatives and with some time I'm sure that there will be something usable.
Quote from adirany :Try to build a car from scratch (not based on any other car) and I would be the first to try it.

you will soon realize that it is a monumental task and you will abandon your project in two or three days.

I literally spent over a month making a car mod from scratch, made whole mesh by myself in the LFS editor and spent like 50 hours just researching the technical specifications of cars of given class/era and making sure the vehicle physics is right.

Just because most of the mods here are models taken from sketchfab taken from Forza and put on the first chassis configuration the editor offered (I'm not amused by such mods either) doesn't mean all LFS mods are bad and poorly done.

There are still gems among the LFS mod database, but you will not find them if you refuse to look for them in first place.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG