The online racing simulator
Berg Cup Mk1
(21 posts, started )
Berg Cup Mk1
I decided to take a swing at my first circuit/ hillclimb car and being a BIG Volkswagen fan one cannot ignore the "dynamite in a small package" Golf MK1 Berg Cup cars!

High revving N/A engines, lightweight body and nice sticky tyres and nimble handling make for a lot of fun.

Initial testing is very promising and this should give some bigger cars a run for their money much like LFS's own UFR
Attached images
BCG1.png
BCG2.png
BCG3.png
I can't wait ^^
Made some more progress with the tail lights.
I know the grill isn't the standard Mk1 grill but it was using too many of the available
vertices so I had to simplify that......it is a race car so I'll claim artistic license
and say that it isn't impossible that it was changed due to needing better airflow or
whatever XD
Attached images
BCG9.png
BCG10.png
BCG11.png
Quote from NENE87 :Hi, that's a good beginning ^^ why 360° for the steering wheel? please look this video Smile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXoVc4wz9gk&ab_channel=MPZRACEVIDEO steerwheel = 360° in curbs but i don't know if he turn at max ? maybe sound can be improved? I love that car!

Thanks very much buddy, I appreciate your input! Daniel Wittwer is a madman XD, what a driver! I will continue to get this more and more dialed in. Sound is a bit challenging, I will see what I can do but sadly I can't get that aggressive intake sound that ITB's give in real life, I wish I could.
Would be great to see the shell of this mod as a base for a "regular" VW Golf Mk I (GTI), nice work so far!
#8 - R-to
Quote from Averro :Would be great to see the shell of this mod as a base for a "regular" VW Golf Mk I (GTI), nice work so far!

Thanks for the idea, I have been thinking of that. Please give it some stars if you think its worthy Smile
#11 - FIZ
First of all: I love this mod, challenging but rewarding.

Thanks for the custom color update, much needed!
I hope skin template is coming as well Smile

I noticed, when front height is 160, the suspension still works fine but you can see the graphical problems:

Maybe it is possible to limit the height in the setup?

I have read in the description of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VntjByD6pg4 that the car, using the same engine as this mod, has a 6-Speed sequential gearbox, not an H-pattern gearbox. While I love to deal with the H gearbox, I wonder if it is realistic!

The interior looks basic but I am confident could be improved Shy

I noticed the windshield is a bit darker than how it should be, I really prefer it more clear and transparent as it is irl.
Actually I'd love to see a dirty texture on the windshield, because a super transparent windshield is not realistic too Smile
Attached images
photo_2022-02-20_19-18-23.jpg
Quote from FIZ :First of all: I love this mod, challenging but rewarding.

Thanks for the custom color update, much needed!
I hope skin template is coming as well Smile

I noticed, when front height is 160, the suspension still works fine but you can see the graphical problems:

Maybe it is possible to limit the height in the setup?

I have read in the description of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VntjByD6pg4 that the car, using the same engine as this mod, has a 6-Speed sequential gearbox, not an H-pattern gearbox. While I love to deal with the H gearbox, I wonder if it is realistic!

The interior looks basic but I am confident could be improved Shy

I noticed the windshield is a bit darker than how it should be, I really prefer it more clear and transparent as it is irl.
Actually I'd love to see a dirty texture on the windshield, because a super transparent windshield is not realistic too Smile

Hey man, thanks for taking the time to give your feedback, I appreciate this kind of post!

I have also noticed this and it is something I need to work on, in real like this would be tyre rub, not good but it wouldn't show through the arch....unless it went on for a while. I will make a plan to eliminate this.

I'm also aware of the sequential gearbox and maybe its time to give it a try, my concern was that it would be too fast, without much competition in its class as its already much faster than the XFR which is sequential but after the FXO Supertouring was released by Jake Blasted it might be time to try even the playing field a bit.

The interior is very basic XD, this is mainly due to the fact that the body has MANY vertices and this limits what else I can include as there is a overall limit for the vertices of the model. I'll see what I can do to improve on this.

I'll see what I can do to fix the windshield, I am still getting to grips with all the options in the editor XD

Thanks
Hello! Can we get Hybrid tyres for the car? Really wanting to use it in rally.
Thanks
Quote from starlet_man :Hello! Can we get Hybrid tyres for the car? Really wanting to use it in rally.
Thanks

Yes sure, even though rally is not the focus for this car and the suspension might not be suitable I will include that for those that want
#15 - FIZ
Thank you for the update!
#16 - AEF
I suggest to reduce the darkness of the windshield more. Probably even bringing it to zero.
Quote from AEF :I suggest to reduce the darkness of the windshield more. Probably even bringing it to zero.

I will make a plan to do so with the next update, still learning some things and how to best do this was unknown to me until recently Smile

I am also starting to do some stitching of the body, the 3D model was quite an old one and turned out to have many triangles that were not actually connected, so I have to work through that which is VERY laborious
Berg Cup has had a much needed update, I have included a diffuser with underbody aero. After MANY laps and trying different setups I just couldn't properly tame the lift off oversteer when braking into a corner at high speed. This is a normal issue in certain cars and front wheel drive cars that are very light are known to do this, my VW MK2 Golf daily driver does this when going too hot into turns and lifting off the throttle.
So I decided to test some under car aero this morning and it did make it much more predictable on high speed turns. The bonus of this is more consistent laps and an immediate improvement of about 0.5 sec on Westhill International. I am sure with some more setup tweaks or time it might shave closer to 1 second off the lap time.

Enjoy
Attached images
BCG12.png
You can set the car with negative rear toe angle like -0.2 or -0.3 don't touch front toe.reduce front tyres pressure.I have tested the car and i love R3 tyres, maybe the car is too grippy?Could you make editablethe skin? That's a good job!
Quote from NENE87 :You can set the car with negative rear toe angle like -0.2 or -0.3 don't touch front toe.reduce front tyres pressure.I have tested the car and i love R3 tyres, maybe the car is too grippy?Could you make editablethe skin? That's a good job!

Thanks man, I have played around with many setups on this car, I will upload my latest setup that I did my best lap time with. This is a Hillclimb car so it needs to be as grippy, I have tried to make sure that the aero and stuff is as realistic as I can, I don't want a car that has infinite grip because thats just fake but I think the current grip levels are accurate for a car built and setup like this in real life.

With regards to the skins, I hope to one day get it to that point but the 3D model that I used is quite an old model and the way it was made is quite different to most 3D models these days, the body is built out of lots of strips that are placed next to each other to form the body shape, so the triangles on the left and right are not identical. It was also one of my early mods and I have learnt quite a bit since then Schwitz

Berg Cup Mk1
(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG