The online racing simulator
#51 - Vain
Thanks for the feedback! But no, thought of that myself from my LFS and programming experience.

Vain
AFAIK Scawen first planned to only do suspension damage, that visual damage came as a suprise for beta testers and us.
Like I said in another thread, I think the damage would look a lot better if all the parts of the cars, weren't connected to each other. This would mean more of the engine bay and trunk would need modelling, because if the bumper would get smashed, part of the engine, or car skeleton would become visible, and if we get that effect, that parts can damage seperatly (what it doesn't seem to do now), it wouldn't be too far away from having parts actually fall off.

I went to the BelCar races yesterday, and in the sprint cup a toyota yaris (Vitz??) went into the barriers, the bumper fell off, the wheel was totally busted, and the hood was smashed a bit. In lfs it would more likely be, damage to the wheels (that's good), but the hood would be bent in relation to the bumper, wich doesn't look right, because mostly the hood isn't made of the same material as a bumper, so it should act differently. If it acted differently, I think it would be still a temporary solution, but it would look much better.
I think the damage shown on the cars is actually pretty good, it's a lot better than most games and it isn't fundamental to the racing as at the end of the day damage is only really shown on a retired car which usually shift-s pretty quickly, the little dents and bumps on cars still racing look pretty good.

The only real issue is how some cars react after a contact is registered.
Quote from nikimere :maybe the system hasn't changed but kevs right, its not the same as it used to be.... if someone touches the back of your car at all (since S2 came out) it bounces all over the place.

This is most drastic in the UF1k.... illepall

Yeh this is the only thing which have changed at least i think so.
The bouncing its accurate thing which could happend but its a bit exggarated.Its completly the opposite like it was before.

Maybe Scawen need to find something in the middle.

Btw...did you ever try to touch the cars back in high speed...bet it would bounce quite a bit
Quote from Becky Rose :No tea please, lets go racing, "tally ho"...

nnnnnnooooooooo teeeeeaaaaaaaa !!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111

are you nuts, i need at least 2 brews before i get behind my wheel.

Back on topic

Quote from deggis :This collision system combined with the even more ridiculous "crashing" sound is the most annoying thing in LFS. That sound just breaks my ears and headphones. I mean that sound is really annoying, when racing close I'm more afraid of hearing than sound that actually getting crashed

Yep even more disturbing at 4am with no headphones, not just for me.

Collision dection is ok, its better then it was, some tracks have bad problems still, South city in particular,if you get some lag near wall when your close and clip it with wheel area , it can put an end to your race,usually by some extreme stunt from just brushing the wall surface , faster the car the more risk seems to be the case.

Aslong as wheels/susp? dont get mixed into the collision equation, seems pretty good imo,could be better though (how? i dunno) most things that make it so difficult have been mentioned , samplingrate, cpu/pc numbercrunching power and network latency.

Recently having raced in ESL UK ERRC we had to adopt to the new patch , before this it was pretty much hands together and pray if you got close to oppenent and started to rub panels, it would usualy end up a mess after the patch though it did feel alot safer (if thats possible anyway )

Now, imo, you can really force your car past sometimes in the slower classes and not worry about "boing" tm.

It is a shame TBO4 class is not as popular as it was. as this is where LFS really excels as an experience for me.
Some really good and educative reading in this thread. Thanks
I'd love to drive the TBO4 class but:

The GTT and the RB4 are just too slow
The RB4 is 4WD which I detest anyway
The FXO pwns all, but I don't like FWD and I can't drive the FXO anyway (just ask Keiran)
The 4 is perfect, but too slow on most tracks to be fun. I've found I can mix an LX4 into the FXO stew at Westhill but it required some fairly committed driving and some consideration from the FXO drivers.

If they could be balanced a touch more, either in weight, power or tyre widths then it would be pure and total awesomeness, but as it is I have to leave it to the FXO brigade.
I know tristan , its the saddest thing to happen in LFS ... scawen please slow down FXO !!!!! pleeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaseeeeee (not to much though)

^^^^^ this really needs fixing and soon.
LFS "boing" collision detection in real life: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5135594293614867066.

And yes, I think also that it definitely should be improved (in LFS that is). This "boing" system makes otherwise serious simulator just feel silly... :/
^^ difference is, in lfs you don't need a pile of sand or something... Just the rear side of another car, or a barrier... And that at a much slower speed!
I love the TBO cars, but can rarely find a race with them. I think the FXO dominance does spoil the class although i'm quite happy to join the dark side and drive it
the collision system is one of the most disappointing aspects of LFS for me, at the moment. problems with tyre physics etc, while very important, can be written off in the mind quite easily. your car launching to the moon from a slight tap, not so easy...
whats with that crash sound you keep going on about ?
do you mean that low thud or the tyre sqeals played on top of each other ?
this can be fixed rather quickly by simply using the collision system used on the formula renault/fox it seems to use the old s1 model why not implement this into the other cars . The new system makes it much harder to have close races because your always worried about touching someone and getting a mad response this has turned me off lfs completely . I AM TALKING ABOUT CAR TO CAR COLLSIONS WHEN RACING by the way i couldnt care less what happens when u put a barrier in a car park hit it and go flying it has no real relevence to actual racing
wow 11 posts what do i know about lfs
Quote from kevomcenzy :wow 11 posts what do i know about lfs

yep. have u tried bmx lately?
Quote from deggis :This collision system combined with the even more ridiculous "crashing" sound is the most annoying thing in LFS. That sound just breaks my ears and headphones. I mean that sound is really annoying, when racing close I'm more afraid of hearing than sound that actually getting crashed.

And you can't even turn it off, not even by turning volume to 0% from ScrapeSoft.raw and ScrapeHard.raw files. Afaik that sound is generated from those files.

Yeahthat sound is asinine and totally ridiculous, LOL..

Just delete it in whatever folders it is in, I forgot where it is. Ask someone else.. but that works.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG