The online racing simulator
Mods System Suggestions - OLD
(149 posts, closed, started )
Hello, @scawen i want to suggest the possibility of being able to make wheels collision box round shaped
In lfs editor, we can see wheels use their mass also as collision box, some mods like offroaders or big trucks that were designed to climb obstacles actually tend to stop when hitting barriers because wheels collision box is a cube. It would be perfect if we were able to customize wheels collision shape or it to be come round as default thing.
As far as I know, these mass boxes are not used as collision meshes for wheels. All collisions are handled with LOD3(2), wheels are in the collisions represented only with a single point.
Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, would be nice to have some command for adding users to the custom access list to the vehicle I am using, thanks.
Quote from Racon :I love the 'fuse to average' and 'fuse to green' functions in points mode, that really helps balancing the workload between the modder and the gouraud Wink

I thought 'subdivide' and/or 'subdivide radial' functions would be equally helpful for triangles mode, for those times you need just a tiny bit more control of the curves than you thought you would. I took some screenies of doing it manually.

They could delete the original triangles, make the new points at the average positions, make the new triangles with the same properties as the replaced one, and then select them.

If it could cope with multiple selections we could stack the operations too.

I really like this thought. Would make the modeler easier for creating smoother body's. I would think implementation wouldn't be extremely difficult.
Could it be possible to add "skin template" able to download in mod page?

tnx
Quote from fangio86 :Could it be possible to add "skin template" able to download in mod page?

tnx

Isn't it already possible? On button "page" when you set the texture type as "skin" you can click the "wireframe" button which will copy the skin to your buffer clipboard, then you go to any photo editor like PAINT.NET , GIMP, PHOTOSHOP.. you save it as MODID_NameYouWant.jpg and load it inside the editor so it will show up as included skin.
Yes but I think he wants a website feature for the mod maker to upload that to their mod's web page.
Yes exactly, in the mods web page
Quote from Racon :I thought 'subdivide' and/or 'subdivide radial' functions would be equally helpful for triangles mode, for those times you need just a tiny bit more control of the curves than you thought you would. I took some screenies of doing it manually.

It looks like I have an hour spare today so thought I would try one or two of these.

A few questions:

1) Are these names "subdivide" and "subdivide radial" known names for these functions? If they are known names then I should stick with them. Otherwise I can make up my own names if needed.

2) The one you called "subdivide radial" looks more useful to me. I want it to quickly improve my football. Are you sure that the "subdivide" would be particularly useful? I'm not a very experienced modeller so don't really know what is most useful.

OT: For my football I also want to add "set distance from green point" so I can correct the radius of the newly added points. I'd get a higher res football by simply "subdivide radial" all triangles then "set distance from green point" (a central point). And the ball would look spherical. If I do have more time, I could do a circular version of "set distance from green point" for when you are in a 2D view.
Quote from Scawen :1) Are these names "subdivide" and "subdivide radial" known names for these functions? If they are known names then I should stick with them. Otherwise I can make up my own names if needed.

2) The one you called "subdivide radial" looks more useful to me. I want it to quickly improve my football. Are you sure that the "subdivide" would be particularly useful? I'm not a very experienced modeller so don't really know what is most useful.

1) They're not known things, unless it is by accident. I've very little modelling experience either Wink

2) The idea behind the first is to add smoothing with as few new triangles as possible; the idea behind the second is to divide the edges in order to add features (a fold to represent the door edge, in my case).

I think the radial version covers the uses of the first, albeit for more triangles.

The division of the edge is the most important thing, I think. Every other operation can be done easily enough manually once that edge is divided with algorithmic precision Wink
Thanks for the reply. I've coded the radial version now. I just need to add a button for it, and also do the set distance from green point function.

By the way, do you know about the "divide edge" (in build mode) and "rotate triangles" (in triangle mode) functions? With them you can achieve much of the same results but more laboriously.
Ahh, yes, I had missed the divider in build mode, thanks for that. The slider will be helpful, and there's more fusing options too. (At the point it appears I'm usually trying desperately to keep track of that one last point in the cloud Big grin)

I can't see a 'rotate triangles' in tri mode though?
To rotate triangles you select one triangle and shift-click on an adjacent triangle that shares an edge. It rotates the shared edge in the triangle pair.
Got you, very useful again, thanks. (I promise I have been reading the docs and watching the vids, many times over... there's just lots of it Big grin)
Thanks, and there is a lot still undocumented, so thank you for your patience! Smile
Quote from Racon :...
I think the radial version covers the uses of the first, albeit for more triangles.

The division of the edge is the most important thing, I think. Every other operation can be done easily enough manually once that edge is divided with algorithmic precision Wink

OK, the radial version is available in W59.

I must warn you though when it divides the edge between the selected triangles and the unselected triangles, it is only actually dividing the edge of the selected triangles. The edges of the non-selected triangles are unaffected, so you end up with unshared edges between the selected triangles and adjacent unselected ones. It was a bit to hard for my tired brain in the time available to do an edge analysis and split the adjacent non-selected triangles to share the new edges. That is so much more difficult an algorithm, compared with the initial subdivision.

Quote from henricat2006 :Could you increase the maximum value of the tire ratio?
Some motorcycles here in Brazil use a 90/90 tire

Thanks, it was a quick change and I've added it in W59 editor.
Proposition here not necesary but it might be something to think about as we are currently near 200mods. I think it will go over 1000 next year so we need more filter and way to display them.
These are my ideas, can be taken separately, discarded or improved...
More columns would be a great start. It can also be on the website and not ingame and vice versa.
The filters could be be the number of wheels. 2,3,4 currently
For 4 wheelers RWD, FWD AWD
Engine size displacement, power, torque (could be a bracket min max), n cylinder, fuel type/electric, power ratio.
Open wheelers/closed cockpit.
Racing categories/vehicules categories (that might be various for some cars): drift, track, rallycross, rallye, kart, open wheelers, 4x4, late model/vintage, law inforcement (or vehicules with flashing lights in general (cops, ambulances, safety cars), exotic supercars, fun, heavy or utilities, buses, dragsters...
Rating bracket.
Date modified bracket.
Date first release bracket.
LFS cars could also host some families, like a LX derivative is LX family. XF, XR...

Also the filter might also appear on server list like mods: all or p166t or drift or whatever.
Suggestion from a lazy man:
could we sort 'Changelog' entries from newest first? Some cars have double-digit edits, lots of scrolling down to see what's new.

Also, by default the 'Mods' page displays only the approved mods and no tweak edits. I pretty much have to change it every time I check for new mods. Is there a chance to make the site remember the last user selection?
Quote from Scawen :OK, the radial version is available in W59.

I must warn you though when it divides the edge between the selected triangles and the unselected triangles, it is only actually dividing the edge of the selected triangles. The edges of the non-selected triangles are unaffected, so you end up with unshared edges between the selected triangles and adjacent unselected ones. It was a bit to hard for my tired brain in the time available to do an edge analysis and split the adjacent non-selected triangles to share the new edges. That is so much more difficult an algorithm, compared with the initial subdivision.

Awesome, and the extra scaling options will make it a lot easier to keep things straight in 3D in my head, too.

Am I right in thinking that the unshared edges would only need to be made into shared edges for the gouroud shading? ie, if the two triangles with an unshared edge are in different groups it won't matter? (I can't test until later)

PS: I like how some people have rated the engine sound of the football Uhmm

Quote from Ziomek21 :Suggestion from a lazy man:
could we sort 'Changelog' entries from newest first? Some cars have double-digit edits, lots of scrolling down to see what's new.

I was thinking that if we could distinguish between 'date of first release' and 'date of latest update' that would help. Sometimes I want to see all recent updates, but most often I just want to see if there's anything brand new - it's tricky to know how far to scroll to be sure you haven't missed one when a bunch are being updated often.
Quote from Racon :Am I right in thinking that the unshared edges would only need to be made into shared edges for the gouroud shading? ie, if the two triangles with an unshared edge are in different groups it won't matter? (I can't test until later)

No... unshared edges are worse than that. Conceptually you could have a triangle with one edge, shared with another two triangle edges exactly aligned with that first edge (so the end two points are shared but the middle point is not shared) and you might think that would be OK, but actually if you move the view around you will occasionally see pixels through that edge, that are not covered by either side. In more advanced graphics (like our new graphics system) this can cause noticeable issues with light leaking (e.g. daylight pixels seen from inside a tunnel) and shadow rendering (a beam of sunlight might come through one of those pixels).

It is advisable to use the "wire" view often to check for unshared edges which may appear by mistake (they are shown in red). Of course, some unshared edges are intentional, e.g. details added on top of another surface, like a door handle on a door or an indicator object attached to some bodywork. But edges that are meant to be aligned, should use genuinely shared edges.

Quote from Racon :I was thinking that if we could distinguish between 'date of first release' and 'date of latest update' that would help. Sometimes I want to see all recent updates, but most often I just want to see if there's anything brand new - it's tricky to know how far to scroll to be sure you haven't missed one when a bunch are being updated often.

Am I right that you are talking about the list of mods on the website (or maybe in game) while Ziomek was talking about the contents of the changelog tab on a mod's page?
Quote from Ziomek21 :Suggestion from a lazy man:

Also, by default the 'Mods' page displays only the approved mods and no tweak edits. I pretty much have to change it every time I check for new mods. Is there a chance to make the site remember the last user selection?

I've reversed the order of the changelogs. Will be deployed soon-ish.

The sorting and filtering is already remembered.
Do you frequently log out maybe?
On my browser if I:

- set to 'all'
- close browser
- open browser and come back
- it's back to 'approved'
Same here, always logged, closing tab fine, closing browser = reset.
Quote from Scawen :No... unshared edges are worse than that. Conceptually you could have a triangle with one edge, shared with another two triangle edges exactly aligned with that first edge (so the end two points are shared but the middle point is not shared) and you might think that would be OK, but actually if you move the view around you will occasionally see pixels through that edge, that are not covered by either side. In more advanced graphics (like our new graphics system) this can cause noticeable issues with light leaking (e.g. daylight pixels seen from inside a tunnel) and shadow rendering (a beam of sunlight might come through one of those pixels).

It is advisable to use the "wire" view often to check for unshared edges which may appear by mistake (they are shown in red). Of course, some unshared edges are intentional, e.g. details added on top of another surface, like a door handle on a door or an indicator object attached to some bodywork. But edges that are meant to be aligned, should use genuinely shared edges.

Got you, thanks. That was also the answer to another question I hadn't had a chance to check for previous answers to Big grin Thumbs up

Quote from Scawen :Am I right that you are talking about the list of mods on the website (or maybe in game) while Ziomek was talking about the contents of the changelog tab on a mod's page?

Yes, sorry, I didn't realise he was talking about the changelog... I meant the website mods list and/or ingame mod list.
This thread is closed

Mods System Suggestions - OLD
(149 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG