The online racing simulator
Scawen....

Have you measured how much bandwidth the new LFS will use?

Trying to guestimate if a Cell HotSpot would work... although having 8+ computers hooked up to it, may be a bit laggy.

It just sucks to have put so much time and money in this, just to have it killed by the very thing I was trying to support... LFS.

Also pondering the StarLink Phone: Model Pi
#2 - Racon
In the 'start new host' part of multiplayer, there's a calculator for server bandwidth. If I'm understanding it correctly, the mods will only add anything during the initial download, the rest will stay the same bandwidth-wise and all clients going together should add up to the same load.
Quote from SimulatorRental.com :Scawen....

Have you measured how much bandwidth the new LFS will use?

Trying to guestimate if a Cell HotSpot would work... although having 8+ computers hooked up to it, may be a bit laggy.

It just sucks to have put so much time and money in this, just to have it killed by the very thing I was trying to support... LFS.

I'm not scawen but i did a very quick test to check what my internet usage would be. I did it in TC driving with at least 20 cars driving on track.

As you can see the bandwidth usage is very low and the spike you see is probably from skin downloading when I joined.

I doubt you would not be able to have an hotspot that could satisfy these requirements. What you really need to worry about is ping, but as soon as you find the good spot and dont move i don't think you will have major problems.

This probably isn't really useful but in short, lfs can run good on any connection as long as it is stable.
Attached images
Senza nome.jpg
Allthough this is totally wrong thread... Server setup bandwidth calculations are quite useless here,as the new server will be hosted on remote machine and not on user's PC.
Anyway - the LFS connection is still low consuming and there should not be a problem to use mobile connection (I'd suggest to use one of the 4G USB sticks,who have also WLAN function,or some other cell network router,who has even LAN port[s]). Since you won't be using regular mods changes,there won't be much data consumption either.

Edit: there you go,even proper measurement above.
#5 - Racon
Quote from Eclipsed :Server setup bandwidth calculations are quite useless here,as the new server will be hosted on remote machine and not on user's PC.

If a server uses X bandwidth to communicate with 8 players, and you then put those 8 players in the same place... does it matter where you measure the bandwidth? Wink
#6 - gu3st
Quote from SimulatorRental.com :

I wouldn't put much stock into that. It looks mostly like a theoretical concept from what I could find
#7 - Ped7g
I don't think bandwidth will be an issue, as much as the latency and stability. Any android phone will do probably more network traffic by "calling home" than 8 LFS players playing network race... Smile But erratic latency may destroy the experience. If you are somewhere on the parking lot of some circuit venue 20 miles from civilization with 10k other people having mobile phones around, I wouldn't bet either way on the result. Could be good because the provider has extra strong BTS around the venue to keep it going during events, or could be horrible because nobody cares...
Bandwidth isn't a obvious problem. Ping is.
I used to play LFS from a mobile connection. My experience was that I spend about 40MB is 1h of racing in demo server with 12cars. In contrast, compare that with CSGO where in 10min it pulled about 60-70MB. LFS net code is extremely well optimized, it is a work of art. As the guys said ping is the other side of the story that can make or break your bussines. Even so, LFS is quite tolerant for pings up to 100-200ms, so in principle, you should be ok.
I would have to pay for bandwidth for 3 to 10 hours of non stop racing... however many days a month. Depending on the event. So the monthly data plan was the concern.

I guess I would just have to PRE-LOAD any graphics... so I guess it is not really a factor.

Its too bad a local server could not be setup that has to constantly ping a remote server in intervals for permission to operate, and have THAT code be what is not distributed.

It is just going to really suck when the connection is lost, and the whole race is shut down on the last lap, especially if its some sort of $1000 prize race.
Quote from SimulatorRental.com :Its too bad a local server could not be setup that has to constantly ping a remote server in intervals for permission to operate, and have THAT code be what is not distributed.

Such a check would be ridiculously simple to patch out where you might as well not have it.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG