The online racing simulator
Admin pausing
(14 posts, started )
#1 - Dumpy
Admin pausing
I would like the ability as admin/host of a multiplayer game to actually pause the simulation, like is possible in single-player mode.

Mainly this is because I often play LFS in an environment where I am frequently interrupted and must look away from the game for long enough to crash and burn, but I'd rather play a local private multiplayer game than a single-player game for the simple fact that it connects to LFSW and updates PBs and lets me see the WRs ingame and such...

I'm trying to think of why this would be bad other than if bad admins abused the power when people are trying to race. I've played other multiplayer games where pausing is possible after inputting a certain console command.
#2 - jarre
I think this is a stupid idea...

imagine being in a race all concentrated, and then the admin pauses the game.. You lose your concentration and then when he starts it again you would crash and burn...

Just don't play the game when you can't concentrate properly.
#3 - ORION
You cant pause real life, so you cant pause LFS either
And once you figure out how to pause real life (if its possible...) you have automatically paused LFS too
I used to think this might have been a good idea a long time ago. But Jarre said you will lose concentration, and if something happens that the admin has to pause it usually means that there should be a restart anyways =P
As dumpy said:

Quote :Mainly this is because I often play LFS in an environment where I am frequently interrupted and must look away from the game for long enough to crash and burn, but I'd rather play a local private multiplayer game than a single-player game for the simple fact that it connects to LFSW and updates PBs and lets me see the WRs ingame and such...

He wants to use it for himself, not online.

That being said, i'd say we would need a lot more then one person requesting something like this. I can just imagine admin nazi's sitting at their server giggling to themselves pausing the server and ruining peoples races....

I can certainly think of 1000 other things that would be better time spent in development for LFS.
Or, it would be cool if you could just connect to LFSW in single player mode, so you could upload you PBs and see the WRs, I think that makes more sense than a multiplayer pause option.
#7 - ORION
An idea:
Recording pbs from normal singleplayer races, and uploading when you are online next time (if the player wants to of course). This shouldnt work for hotlapping, though.
Implementing pausing in the netcode can be quite tricky, so I guess sc will not want to do this.
Am i right in saying that you want an option to pause an entire MP server so that you can go to the toilet or do some other thing?
#9 - Lible
Oh, I need to go to toilet... I go to toilet. Girlfriend is behind the door, invites me to go out. OK. I come back two hours later and ask myself - Why isn't anybody in my server anymore? Look at the message history and find out: Oops, i paused when i was going to toilet.
-
(Schooner) DELETED by Schooner
Yes connecting to Lfsworld while in singleplayer mode would be great...I often find myself wondering what my pb is when training offline,
or I sometimes break my pb while offline. Plus I don't think it would be
difficult to implement.
Quote from Stellios :Am i right in saying that you want an option to pause an entire MP server so that you can go to the toilet or do some other thing?

Ha no, I play LFS by myself in a private server at work, and I frequently have to - you know - work
But yeah, I can imagine it being abused too. I like the other idea of just allowing single-player mode to interact with LFSW. I guess that's actually what I was looking for, I just had to come up with this roundabout problematic way to do it.. illepall
Quote from Stellios :Am i right in saying that you want an option to pause an entire MP server so that you can go to the toilet or do some other thing?

So theres probably need for another option: to call everyone on server when he s gonna be back
I think that would totally....NOT WORK!

all you need is some idiot to be admin and keep stopping and starting the game willy nilly and it would ruit it for everyone! If you have problems watching the server/race then don't bother hosting! We haven't had a problems so far...so why change it!

There are soooo many other ideas I think this is right at the bottom

I do agree about the offline LFSW option that would be great because I always forget about it and then have to use the multiplayer host option which means you cannot have many AI and people could join you if they wish!
Well have you ever tried pausing a sim mid-corner then unpausing it? It's very easy to lose control when you do this now multiply this by 20 and you have a full grid of spinning cars :doh:

Admin pausing
(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG