The online racing simulator
Slick Mod
(43 posts, started )
Slick Mod
Been playing around with this just lately, and well, to me, really adds an element of true racing for the FWD cars ( only played with FWD cars ). The FXO is alot more fun ( since the weight added in new patch ) and XFG is more competative and fun in its own class.

As I said, I haven't tested the whole range, but for people that run leagues, the would open up a new door way to fun racing.

Its an easy update / option, as Keygets does it with a Exe file, so I would really like to see, all cars have the slick options. Give us way more options, at no time or cost expense

Regards

Fordie
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from thisnameistaken :I doubt anyone would use the road tyres ever again. It's already hard to find a race in the road cars, and if they could wear the race car boots there'd be no point even looking any more.

I know what you are saying, but this is "Live for Speed" right? Trying living for speed in the FXO :ices_rofl

That car used, and I use the term USED to a relaxed term, great to drive. Give it the slick touch, and again, its exciting to drive, as well as the XFG. Push it to much, and slicks grip, and over she goes

Its just another option that would open up LFS that little more, and doesnt take years of implementing. Road Tyres? who needs road tyres, I use road tyres every day. In a "Sim" I want "racing" tyres
I just noticed that the race cars have race tyres. Funny about that

Why have road cars in LFS at all if they're going to behave like race cars? The guys I know that take their street cars to track days use the same tyres they would on the road and love that they get to push their road tyres to the limit. I love the differences between the road cars and race cars in LFS, it's part of what makes the game great imho. I think thisnameistaken is right - if the roadies all had slicks, noone would use road tyres anymore. I guess that's what the slickmod is good for...
-
Yeah, I thought you'd dig that
/me restricts Fordie to knobblies for a month for creating such a thread
#6 - Vain
I always like stripped down race-prepped streetcars. Lowered weight, racing-frame, stock engine and - to go ontopic - better tyres.
I like to take LFS's roadcars around as they are. A bit wobbly, a bit slow, not so nimble, but fun.
On the other hand I'd like to get these cars around with minimized weight. Racing just isn't racing when the car weights more than 1000kg and doesn't have good tyres. That's why I'd like to see a "Cup"-version of about any roadcar in LFS. The same car, same engine (or just minor difference), lower weight, better tyres (increased width, but no real slicks, a lot of racing series run 'semi slicks').
So within specific limits I'm all for your suggestion. As long as our roadcars aren't stripped of their unused weight and don't have a racing-frame they also have no right to go with race-tyres.

I'll propably write a full flexed suggestion-thread today about those cup-versions if I come to a conclusion with some questions. Hang in and don't go offtopic here.

Vain
#7 - Ndrew
This is the point when i have to agree with everybody...
The slicks are fun on the road cars .. true .. but don't really wanna see it as default option to choose those for roadcars. The normals and supers make them challenging to drive.
Than about the club race cars.. that would be cool too, but little same would happen as the slicks were choosable... Think the currrent cars would be pointless 'cause noone would drive those cars ever imho.
Once again I have to say this. RWD competitor for XFR/UFR please! It would be nice to have new model, something totally new and GTR version only
Ok played around with the others. Now the biggest improvement I have seen with the slickmod is Slicks on the LX Cars. Now we know these have these in RL racing, and they really are excellent to drive. XFR/FXO ok the fun factor is fun, but for true "sim" related over the top.

Only problem then is then the LX will be in a class of its own due having more grip than the RAC/FZR.

Hmm, simple option give everything slicks, but points taken from above, not possible. Give slicks to a LX car, then becomes class of its own, but then you can have LX cups etc etc with true style racing.

I am trying to get a SlickMod only server, and racing only LX's ( or others if people suggest ) see how this goes.
#10 - Vain
The LX is a class of it's own anyway. Both LX4 and LX6, so why bother with that?

Vain
LX4 is great at Westfield with a grid of FXO's. It takes a well driven LX4 to keep up with a mid-well driven FXO, but it's a great challenge.
Westhill..

I could see cars like the LXs and Raceabout to be running with (semi)slicks on trackdays etc, but they really aren't racecars. What I'd like to see is a new bunch of racecars that'd have rollcages etc but not serious power. Something like a suggested UFR/XFR competitor
Slickmod should be built in, and there should be "Allow road cars to use racing tyres", "Allow race cars to use road tyres", and "Allow race cars to use rallycross tyres" options.
Putting slicks on any of the road cars just means they're not road-cars anymore. They're all virtually race-prepped anyway, adjustments available are beyond what many race-cars have. Currently the way they look and the road-tyres with which they're shod are the only things which say "production car".

I think basically what we want are cars to fill the massive gaps in the current LFS lineup, and I personally want the road cars to be more like road cars.

Will we ever get a true factory-road-spec style car in LiveForSpeed? One which has almost no adjustability, just tyre-pressures and fuel-load. One which you just have to drive and adapt to like you do a road-car. It might not neccessarily handle beautifully, it might be a fwd car which doesn't oversteer (!), but at least it would be different because of that, and you'd also appreciate better the difference between it and the race-prepped version, should there be one.
What Sinbad said
Could'nt have said it better myself sinbad, my thoughts exactly.

The "road" cars need some serious work on the amount of setup options before they start thinking about anything else, they are pure fantasy ATM.

Time would be better spent adding a "club racer" class, having slightly breathed-on versions of the road cars straddling the gap between the road and GTR class.

Dan,
^what NorwegianViper and danowat said about what sinbad said :up:
Wait a second! Using slick tyres on road cars doesn't make them race cars! It's like putting slicks on a standart Megane II 1.6 and then saying "Now it's a race car". It's pretty meaningless. OK slicks would give much more grip but the grip isn't the only thing race cars about. What about downforce, engine, streering parts. Have they tyres got whole effect?

Some said in order to keep LFS a sim we shouldn't use this mod. Well racer friends, I can strongly say that the road cars are all about fun in LFS. Becuase if you think in hardcore-realism way you face the truth that: How come a car without rollcage and safe setup race in a track? Ohh but if you want to simulate road cars, you have to have real streets which means illegal street racing..

I support the idea of Vain. The cup versions of road cars would make LFS much more better. Then I can say it's "racing".
Quote from RaceDoctor :Wait a second! Using slick tyres on road cars doesn't make them race cars! It's like putting slicks on a standart Megane II 1.6 and then saying "Now it's a race car". It's pretty meaningless. OK slicks would give much more grip but the grip isn't the only thing race cars about. What about downforce, engine, streering parts. Have they tyres got whole effect?

Some said in order to keep LFS a sim we shouldn't use this mod. Well racer friends, I can strongly say that the road cars are all about fun in LFS. Becuase if you think in hardcore-realism way you face the truth that: How come a car without rollcage and safe setup race in a track? Ohh but if you want to simulate road cars, you have to have real streets which means illegal street racing..

I support the idea of Vain. The cup versions of road cars would make LFS much more better. Then I can say it's "racing".

But the point is that the "road cars" in LFS already are adjustable like race cars are. Massive suspension, camber, brake, differential, steering, and gear ratio adjustments are possible, on the road cars! What makes them road cars at all? Well if you take away the road tyres, nothing except the way they look.
Take your Megane II 1.6 example. Of course just adding slicks doesn't make it a race car. But add fully adjustable suspension, gear ratios, camber, brakes, l.s.d, and all the other adjustable elements of a LFS car, and for all intents and purposes you have built a race-car.
So, yes, in my opinion if these cars are fitted with slick tyres, they make that final small step towards being "race-cars".
#20 - Gunn
If the road cars had slicks I might actually drive them. At the very least normal road tyres should be abolished.

2c
Gunn, when I smell you breath, it is not the sweet smell of LFS.
#22 - Gunn
Quote from Bob Smith :Gunn, when I smell you breath, it is not the sweet smell of LFS.

Perhaps don't stand so close doing wierd stuff like that?
Yay I have people that actually agree with me, and not flame me
I've got to agree with the people that don't agree with you.
-
Disagreement isnt neccesarily flaming Fordie

Dan,

Slick Mod
(43 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG