The online racing simulator
off line drags
(11 posts, started )
off line drags
Hi, I am trying to set up for several indoor shows and feature drag racing with 2 or more players. Can I do this off line by linking two pc's together? I will not have access to internet at these shows. I need the most simple game and it needs to be off line. Can I do this with live for speed? I would like to stay away from VR and have a large monitor for each racer. I would like to link the racers together on the pc. IDEAS??

Dave Hogan
You can link as many PC via LAN as on external internet (47 connections,40 cars on track),even better - you'll have way lower latency in that case.
Also - not sure what kind of shows are these,but if there's money involved you might need comercial licence. Can't provide more info about that though...
Does live for speed offer drag strip racing?
Yes. In environment called "Autocross" is standart 1/4mile dragstrip,usable in either 2 car start or up to 8 cars. http://en.lfsmanual.net/wiki/Tracks:Autocross

Also with use of layout objects you can create your own dragstrip,with slightly slippy concrete surface though.
since all I need is 2 or more players on same game, (off line) I assume that all I will need to do is download the 1/4 mile drapstrip, link my pc's together and enjoy watching multiple players run up and down the strip...right? seems too easy! Once I get all the wheels, shifters, pedals and cockpits built, I'm ready to go? If Im all linked, they will all be seen on one large screen by those not racing who are at the event? I don't want to complicate this.... I just want to do this right. I have limited time and need to push forward and start building cockpits, buying a couple good pc's etc... Please tell me its this easy! Smile
Basically - yes,right. But wrong on the downloading part. It's not an adittional track you can download,it's already there with the normal LFS install,you just need to unlock it. That can be done by purchasing S1 licence,as Autocross is S1 licence track - check section "Contents" to refer what cars come with S1 licence. If you want the faster cars too,you need S2 licence then.
Also considering linking - for duel on dragstrip and showing it on other screen you will need 3 computers - 2 for the drivers,one as a server and for showing on the big screen (but the server can be also one of the drivers computers - LFS is just that flexible). All of course connected via LAN. Theoretically it's possible with one computer,but that's quite a hassle. And you don't really have to buy very good computers,LFS can run on every modern PC,with graphics maxxed out - on a decent midrange PC.
wow!!!!! excellent info! Your the best and very kind to help another dude who's just trying to learn from others vs learning the hard way! LOL!!!

Thank you! I will keep you posted! I'm ordering wheels, pedals, etc... any suggestions on pedals? I want to keep it simple simple. gas and brake and shifting on the 1/4 good enough, right?
I am setting up a booth to promote my business and am attempting to do it via LAN and link the PC's together on a LAN. The people that sit down to race can only stay for 1-2 minutes...perhaps longer as I add more rigs to the booth. Can anyone suggest the most simple approach in terms of what track on LFS I should use that will allow the person to pick it up quickly enough to have fun and while only using gas and brake pedals.

Suggestions please?? If I use a drag strip, that is quick and easy...but can I do it without the sifter control and only brake and gas pedal???

Dave Hogan
Hi Dave

I've moved your post into this existing thread of yours, there was no need to post this all over.

I would suggest a short track so that people have at least some chance to become familiar with the route, and an easier handling car car that doesn't require too much braking. I don't think the drag strip is really playing to the strengths of the sim.

You can configure LFS to auto-shift gears but (I think) you still have to choose between reverse, neutral and forward yourself, which can be annoying if you just want people to sit down and punch the gas.

What is the nature of your business?
I'm sure you need commercial license for this from LFS (don't hesitate to contact them, if you describe your case enough, you may get reasonable pricing).

But try the demo first (I mean connecting it and how the controlling of sim is, I think you will need a dedicated crew on the booth to start/finish games, explain controls, reset/reload in case of some problem, etc, so probably hiring some LFS player may be good idea, as they already are familiar with the game. I suppose you are not planning to do it yourself, as you will have probably some biz talks to do Smile).

off line drags
(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG