The online racing simulator
Live for Speed on Windows Vista
(74 posts, started )
Hey all, I just installed the latest Beta of Windows Vista from the "Microsoft Student Beta Experience Program" lol. It looks pretty cool so far, but I've got one huge problem. I can't unlock LFS. It just comes up and says "Unlocking Error" whenever I try to unlock. I'm sure I'm entering the information correctly, but it won't unlock. Should I just go back to Windows XP, or is there something I'm doing wrong?
Is the built in firewall not allowing lfs to connect to the master server? Try unlocking with firewall off.
That's the first thing I thought of too, but the firewall was never enabled, because I didn't have it enabled in XP. I just confirmed that it was indeed off, this is no fun...
I read somewhere that the encryption (spelling) system is in 32bits and not compatible with vista's 64bits system. Some software had this problem in vista.
#5 - Jakg
oh, i was gonna try Vista and get used to it, so i probs woulda used it more
I use Vista Trans pack if thats what you mean or have you actually got the Vista OS (Beta obviously)??
#7 - Jakg
Quote from spsamsp :I use Vista Trans pack if thats what you mean or have you actually got the Vista OS (Beta obviously)??

he means Vista os, its available as an official legal beta download as of thursday
Quote from Jakg :he means Vista os, its available as an official legal beta download as of thursday

I know it's a bit off topic, and i'm sorry about this, but how is it? do i need to do anything major to change to Vista from XP MCE? Please give me info.
#9 - Jakg
Quote from spsamsp :I know it's a bit off topic, and i'm sorry about this, but how is it? do i need to do anything major to change to Vista from XP MCE? Please give me info.

just a complete format (never trusted the upgrades!)
Quote from Jakg :just a complete format (never trusted the upgrades!)

So that means that i lose everything??
#11 - Jakg
Quote from spsamsp :So that means that i lose everything??

yeap, altho you could get a dual boot system running, but my dad tryed it and lost everything (lucky he mirrored the HDD before hand)
Quote from Jakg :yeap, altho you could get a dual boot system running, but my dad tryed it and lost everything (lucky he mirrored the HDD before hand)

I suppose i could try it on my busted XP in my room... Anybody have a link to where i can DL it and can i stick it on a CDR or DVDR?

Thanks for the help!
#13 - Jakg
Actually, you don't need to format and lose everything. I just installed the upgrade version, so I still have all my files and everything. The install is quite painless actually, and only takes about an hour. I really like every aspect of Vista, other than the fact that I can't use LFS

<edit>BTW, if it means anything, I have the 32 bit version of Vista, if that means anything with the encryption<edit>
I could play with Windows Key + TAB for hours. No joke, hours. :hyper:

Not tried unlocking LFS on this though, I'm using the 32bit version and don't really have a need to unlock it on this PC.

Edit : Yup error here too
Someone should post a request in the improvements section for compatibility with Windows Vista...

I'm not getting Vista 'til I have the ability to unlock LFS when I get my S2 license on 23rd June. (Hopefully)
Quote from spsamsp :I know it's a bit off topic, and i'm sorry about this, but how is it? do i need to do anything major to change to Vista from XP MCE? Please give me info.

The only majour thins i see when installing a new OS is formatting your HDD and installing it, thus losing everything

http://www.microsoft.com/Windowsvista/ <-- Was contemplating to download this and give it a whirl but if LFS wont run i dont think i will
LFS runs fine, you just can't unlock it. Since you're a demo racer it won't matter
I wonder if Scawen could tell us if it's easy for him to patch this or not, since I (probably rather stupidly) put Vista on my LFS rig, I need to know if I need to put XP back on or not.

I really do like Vista a lot, but I can't live without LFS
Beings that I've had 8 off-the-shelf computer systems in my lifetime, I've never been able to transfer my copy of Windows over. That means, every computer I've had was another purchased copy of Windows even if it was the same version I used before. So, for my copies of Windows, Win95 has been paid for 2 times, Win98 4 times and XP twice. I don't like cracker's of games and other software, but I have no problems with folks who pirate Windows software for this reason. For every person who has pirated Windows, there are probably 2 people who have been forced to purchase Windows by buying a new PC.

Which is why I won't go out and purchase a new version of crappy buggy Windows software. I'll stick with XP, I'm fairly new still to it now even.

Damn the PC "manufacturers" who refuse to give you a legitimate actual CD copy of the Windows that you have paid for!!!
#22 - SamH
I'll go Vista when Vista gets to Vista SP2. Experience teaches.

On the subject of Vista, dual boot may not be feasible. There looks to be a bit of an issue trying to remove Vista from a disk partition and retain a MBR for your XP. I'll get more info on that.

On the subject of LFS, the Unlock issue is occurring on 32-bit versions of Vista (as well?), in case anyone thought the problem was isolated to the 64-bit Vista Beta.
I just got another HDD so I could install XP. It turns out that Vista doesn't yet recognize the DFP either, so as a gamer, you're kind of screwed. But oh well, I'm guessing there will be support for all this soon enough
Quote from SamH :There looks to be a bit of an issue trying to remove Vista from a disk partition and retain a MBR for your XP. I'll get more info on that.

um, its so easy to restore the MBR anyway. just boot from the windows cd into the recovery console and type fixmbr

and spsamsp: if you need this much help burning vista to dvd then you shouldnt even think about installing it
Quote from spsamsp :So that means that i lose everything??

If you are sensible and create a small partition on your main drive just for Windows, you can format and lose nothing.

(74 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG