The online racing simulator
Overheating????
(24 posts, started )
Overheating????
Hi,

An improvement suggestion and also a question! At the moment to the temperature guage on the dash ever change? I've never seen it change (EVER)! It would be quite good in newer versions to have the engine overheat - which could also link to the outside air temperature that could possibly be changed! Maybe the engine slows down and then blows up (well maybe not blows but gets really hot and catches fire or just simply stop working!)

Add your agreements or disagreements here!!!

Thanks
i was hoping it was the "big surprise" but.. instead we got a bigger surprise, but that is water temperature, and im still not sure why we dont have it yet, there hasn't been talk about it since S2 came out
Yeah, and there i was thinking that me sitting in 1st gear bouncing off the limiter for 15 laps of blackwood was going to overheat the engine.... boy was i wrong!
#4 - jarre
didn't we have overheating in S1?? Cause if you run the engine to long on a high rev it would slow down and eventually shut down...
#5 - _rod_
Quote from jarre :didn't we have overheating in S1?? Cause if you run the engine to long on a high rev it would slow down and eventually shut down...

I think that was engine damage from over reving and not overheating..im not 100% sure but very close
#6 - Jakg
Quote from xpjames :Hi,

An improvement suggestion and also a question! At the moment to the temperature guage on the dash ever change? I've never seen it change (EVER)! It would be quite good in newer versions to have the engine overheat - which could also link to the outside air temperature that could possibly be changed! Maybe the engine slows down and then blows up (well maybe not blows but gets really hot and catches fire or just simply stop working!)

Add your agreements or disagreements here!!!

Thanks

its an FPS meter atm
Quote from Jakg :its an FPS meter atm

no its not, its a temp guage, the fps is an extra dial
Quote from mrfell :no its not, its a temp guage, the fps is an extra dial

Tis true. The FPS meter is the boost guage in the non-turbo cars.
Quote from mrodgers :Tis true. The FPS meter is the boost guage in the non-turbo cars.

Does the guage every change at all? Is there a way of overheating the engine or even the water temp?
the temp gauge.. is water temperature, and no, because it hasnt been coded yet for some strange reason that we dont know about, i think scawen is more worried about tires since release hence we havent heard anything about it.. since the release of S2

and yes, the FPS meter does move, and yes it does exist and it does replace the spot of turbo in cars without turbo
well, I dont see why the engine should explode....(I believe the engine blows up from too high pressure) , the way I see it, when overheated - metal enlarges, and pistons should get jammed...the engine would stop, and the tyres get locked, that would be cruel....
I believe that is what supposed to happen, even I do admit I can be wrong
Today i 'blow' my bf1 engine, even whit full throttle and clutch pressed the engine stop working,no i didnt shut it down accidentaly and yes i had full tank.
no you didnt, you went down gears and turned on the limiter, i proved this "bug" in the FV8 a while after S2 was released

just change gears and it will magically turn back on
yes, and i suggested realtime weather a very very very long time ago, but lets get a base down first with tires that have .. 'real' grip rather than have all these settings that will change everything and just make it harder for devs to work physics bugs
Quote from squidhead :well, I dont see why the engine should explode....(I believe the engine blows up from too high pressure) , the way I see it, when overheated - metal enlarges, and pistons should get jammed...the engine would stop, and the tyres get locked, that would be cruel....
I believe that is what supposed to happen, even I do admit I can be wrong

If the pistons are expanding, why aren't the cylinders which they are housed in also expanding?

I certainly haven't done any research on why engines cook, but i was under the impression that it was detonation and loss of compression due to valves/rings overheating and failing.
pistons do expand, and im sure faster than the whole block itself since its much ... much smaller; but basically once oil pressure goes through the roof your pretty much screwed, thats why its best to get plenty of cool air in your car

i cant wait to get water temp working.. that way i can join oval servers and just spectate and laugh at them all when their engines die out
The pistons are cooled by the conduction between the rings, the piston and the bore. They are also slightly cooled by oil on the back of the piston (where the gudgeon pin goes), and during the inlet stroke.

The block is cooled by the water system, and is a much larger mass of metal (specific heats come into it here).

Therefore when an engine overheats the piston often absorbs more heat (because it can't cool itself efficiently), expands and seizes. A normal running clearence of a warm engine (when the piston becomes round, it's oval when cool) is going be be very small (it depends on the engine, but about 5 - 10 thousandths of an inch are common, maybe less on a brand new engine, maybe more on a racing engine where friction is your worst enemy), so it doesn't take much.

The effect is noticable on a lathe. Cut some aluminium (which heats up quickly, and thus expands quickly) until it is an interference fit in a hole whilst it is still warm from cutting. Now let it cool for 10 minutes. It will be a surprisingly sloppy fit.
Wow, Tristan sure does know engines, thank you for explaining everything, you have covered some black holes in my engine understanding
Agreed, thanks for the info Tristan
er.

I'd like overheating to be part of the game, but i'd like to not have to think about whatever Tristan is telling us.
hahhahahahahahahha
Overheating
I would love for the car to get very hot and over heat. Like if you run it at a high rev for a long time or if you ran the car a long time without stopping. I would like to see steam come out of the hood and the smoke start coming out of the exhuast. I thank if you didnt stop and cut the engine off that the car would start back firing and the engine would blow. So I would give it 3 minutes after it started smoking to stop.

TEAM LEADER OF RacerX
Quote from confoundla :I would love for the car to get very hot and over heat. Like if you run it at a high rev for a long time or if you ran the car a long time without stopping. I would like to see steam come out of the hood and the smoke start coming out of the exhuast. I thank if you didnt stop and cut the engine off that the car would start back firing and the engine would blow. So I would give it 3 minutes after it started smoking to stop.

The engine isn't going to be hottest when the car is flat out at the end of the straight, it'll get hotter either standing in the pits or under hard acceleration out of low speed corners.

High oil temperatures can also cause an engine to seize because the oil stops lubricating and the oil temperature can be linked to low water pressure, which is therefore just as serious as low oil pressure.

Overheating????
(24 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG