The online racing simulator
I finally understand the Brits
(89 posts, started )
Quote from SamH :First things first.. I didn't spot it while reading through this thread, so I'll clarify that the person who WROTE that website IS ENGLISH. In fact he's a near-namesake of mine, from near me.

The site is a mix of irony and cynicism. The content is clearly directed at Brit eyes because of this. A non-English person reading it may OR may not understand the content's orientation. The humour in it isn't exclusively British, but it is typically British.

If you're British and didn't get it, then go back and read it again KNOWING it was written by a Brit FOR Brits. If you still don't get it, you either don't have a [typical/normal] British sense of humour or you're just thick. Sorry, but that's plain to see.

The content in the site is intended for Brits but is written under the guise of an American's guide to Britain. For the comedic content to work it had to be done this way. For clarification, it IS a minor dig at IGNORANT Americans, NOT ALL Americans and having lived and worked in the US for several years in the past, It DOES have a measure of value.. just as I was once an ignorant Limey.

The examples of English vs American language, for example, in the site are ALL ones that I've met with in real life. In one of my journeys between the US and UK, a young American girl who was travelling to the UK for the first time, asked if Britain had any beaches. Her name is Nancy, we're still friends, after our first transatlantic flight 22 years ago. She's now married to an English independent financial investor

There are a LOT of good reasons why Americans appear ignorant to Brits. The US is a huge country, and it has a lot going on INTERNALLY. Enough each day to fill a thousand days. In relative terms, Americans know a LOT more about Britain than Brits know about, say, Bolivia.

Ignorance is a comfortable place to stay, and you need both time AND an incentive to depart from it. Rarely are we removed from ignorance by force, except when something bad happens. Sad but true.

Perhaps we Brits have lost our sense of humour. This can happen when we're unsure of ourselves, and I think it's painfully obvious that that's where we're at right now. Historically Britain HAS been able to take a "ribbing". Maybe when we get our confidence in our place in the world back, we'll be able to do so again.

Reading that site, I immediately thought that it was probably written by someone from England. And yes, it does dig at Americans, as well as Brits, and I can sit and laugh at that. No, I'm not going to freak out and cry that someone insulted my country or it's residents, I found it quite funny. I think everybody needs to step back and laugh at themselves once in a while, it's good for your health

As for this site, the whole thing is written in a very sarcastic manner, which (at least I think) is a very British thing. I personally love sarcasm, and have a very sarcastic sense of humor, which is probably why I picked up on it right away. It's very well written, in my opinion, and has been added to my favorites list

By the way, just wondering, not trying to offend anyone, but what do all you Brits call 1,000,000,000 then, if not one billion? Do you just call it a thousand million?
Quote from 96 GTS :By the way, just wondering, not trying to offend anyone, but what do all you Brits call 1,000,000,000 then, if not one billion? Do you just call it a thousand million?

Yes
Quote from detail :I'd add Terry-Thomas-style moustache. Ok, what would you suggest for me to put on?

Forget the mustache...how about the the often copied Terry Thomas teeth?!?
oh man i just laughed my tits off for ages.
-
(Schooner) DELETED by Schooner
Quote from Schooner :Don't be so hard on those drunks.

You must have the Aussies confused with the Irish. Everyone knows we're the biggest drunks.

<-- Irish and German
Quote from Forbin :Irish and German

Thick AND boring? "Bummer dude".
Quote :By the way, just wondering, not trying to offend anyone, but what do all you Brits call 1,000,000,000 then, if not one billion? Do you just call it a thousand million?

Actually we call that a billion too, but when we do, somebody tuts, says something about America, and corrects us...
Quote from richy :oh man i just laughed my tits off for ages.

Thinking that....

Did it hurt?
-
(DanISTheMan) DELETED by DanISTheMan : image size sucked and dont know hwo to change it
WHo Cares about a billion... What about THIS????

GREAT BRITAIN

Workers punished after allegations

LONDON - A British government worker has been fired and another demoted following allegations they were involved in serious misconduct, including leaping naked from filing cabinets and having sex in office lavatories. Newspaper reports said staff at the Rural Payments Agency in Newcastle in northeast England also took drugs at work, brawled in the reception area and carried out pranks such as vomiting in cups and leaving them for other people to find. From wire reports

Personally, I don't care where a person is from on the map, It's the mindset
of the individual that should really matter,but WHAT ABOUT THIS?????

GREAT BRITAIN

Workers punished after allegations

LONDON - A British government worker has been fired and another demoted following allegations they were involved in serious misconduct, including leaping naked from filing cabinets and having sex in office lavatories. Newspaper reports said staff at the Rural Payments Agency in Newcastle in northeast England also took drugs at work, brawled in the reception area and carried out pranks such as vomiting in cups and leaving them for other people to find. From wire reports

LOL...just being moronic
Bah, that's way up north. Everyone there suck anyway, most of them couldn't tie their shoe laces without a blue print, and I was half way though it the second time before I noticed it was the same paragraph XD
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Bah, that's way up north. Everyone there suck anyway, most of them couldn't tie their shoe laces without a blue print, and I was half way though it the second time before I noticed it was the same paragraph XD

I dunno... sounds like a real fun bunch; except for the puking in cups......
What's THAT about?

Speaking of British humor, I really wish they'd show Red Dwarf on TV here again. We get it as reruns sometimes.

What I think is cool about the UK is how y'all can switch from metric to SAE
at the drop of a hat... Here in the US the only people that can do that are
rocket scientists and dope dealers.

Oh & I seen Iron Maiden a bunch a times in concert - even read Running Free
Many of us switch from Metric to Imperial at the drop of a hat, but most Brits dont know what those funny American Small what-ever they are standards are. We think an SAE is a stamped address envelope. What's more, we're right ! we already have two measuring systems we dont need two more...! Have you any idea how hard it is to be thinking in inches when someone asks "whats that in mills?"...
easy, exactly 25.4 millimeters per inch
I dont really care what any of ya say. I know what its really means to be british:

Being British is about driving in a German car to an Irish pub for a Belgian beer, then travelling home, grabbing an Indian curry or a Turkish kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV. And the most British thing of all? Suspicion of anything foreign.
-
(Schooner) DELETED by Schooner

I finally understand the Brits
(89 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG