The online racing simulator
LFS and the Papyrus Legacy
(18 posts, started )
Over the last 8 years almost all of the hardcore racing simulations I purchased were promptly deleted from my hard drive within about 3 months of purchase with the exception of GPL and Nascar racing series. Mods from N2003: TPTCC from USpits and GTP from Redline have provided exciting simulation of modern racing series. I’m too old to be a fan "boy" of anything, but after acquiring GTR at great length and expense from Germany, and playing it sparsely for all of two months, I decided to stop buying on a whim, every serious sim that came round the pike. Of the games released since GTR, rFactor got returned (I understand it has been improved since release) and the GTL demo failed to persuade me, especially given the locked cars and the same rehashed tracks from GTR. These games are all very worthy to many simracers and each has very strong merits in several areas but the one area I have felt lacking in most titles since Pappy left the building was PHYSICS!

Like many sim racers, when GPL came out I bought heavily into Pappy’s hardcore racing simulation. Damn it, GPL just felt right! Its physics were for the most part consistent with my theoretically knowledge and personal experience of driving 4 wheeled vehicles. To boot it was just so much fun. Remember what it was like as you hurtled down the Masta straight approaching 200mph towards the dreaded kink with cars roaring on either side – To lift or not to lift? How much lift? Did you feel lucky or brave? – Such racing moments of which there were many in GPL, would make the hairs on the back of neck stand up. Each lap around many of the exciting GPL tracks was an event in itself! Even laps around the simplified Monza, sans oval, were exciting! Of course GPL was far from perfect, but both the physics and track mods took GPL to another level.

Over the years, I never gave LFS much of a look inillepall, but when I did and after a few weeks of playing the full S2 release with U patch, I truly believe that this is the first game I have played that lives up to the promise, expectation and legacy of GPL. The tire modeling of LFS is probably one of the best ever, the only, and I repeat only thing that falls short of providing the equivalent scary GPL moments is damage modeling. In GPL of course your clutch wasn’t impregnable and a host of other components could be critically damaged – ending your race on the spot.

With respect to the U patched LFS, I get the same tactile feel of GPL, very similar physics, input response, the cars seem to make contact with the racing surface, the suspension modeling doesn’t appear contrived and the tire squeal provides lots of feedback. No you cannot indiscriminately mash the trottle. Indeed for the first time in a Sim, I think we are closer to what it is like to control a formula one car. The BF1 seems so much like the GP cars from GPL but with lots of downforce. Remember the “rail-like” simulation of GP4 and to a lesser extent F1 Racing series. Of course an F1 car can drift! (thank you Devs) There is nothing built onto an F1 car that would make it impervious to drift and the laws of physics. To be sure, drifting is definitely not the most efficient way to drive an F1 car given the nature of the sport – you would lose your drive inside of a week! The reason why there are so many requests for real tracks in LFS, is not because F1 tracks are so exciting, LFS has the best tracks, but because this is the first time we have gotten this interpretation of physics in an F1 simulation. Before I bought LFS I noticed how reviewers used “Exhilarating”, “Blast” etc. to describe driving the BF1. Now I know what they mean after lapping around Aston and Westhill. GrandPrix4 and F1RC seem dead by comparison. Same simulation different effect! At the very least, the Devs should consider including Monaco, which is not good as South City, but would provide a good real life point of reference – also, no license would be required!

So now we have another hardcore sim GTR2 being released soon. However “Great” or extremely “Real” it is pronounced, I know exactly what I am looking for in a racing simulation to provide me with the longevity I seek – at least a year. I will be very discerning with the demo only to ensure that I no longer add to the stack of redundant games on my shelf soon to be tossed in the garbage before my move to South Africa.

BTW:
Many of you reading this post play LFS in addition to other sims. How are you able to adjust to the very different physics and input responses across these games? I don’t use Force Feedback, and it totally screws up my feel jumping between sims. LFS and GPL are not problematic for me requiring similar throttle precision and subsequent response feedback. Doesn’t it affect your feel and perception when moving between LFS and GTR for example, where the sensation, physics and input response is very different between the two sims? Do you simply alternate over long periods between games or does Force Feedback negate this problem completely?
I used to play GTR before i played LFS. And TOCA before GTR. I played them both like a religion and it took me some time to get used to LFS. It took me a good few weeks to get used to GTR and TOCA (seperatly). If i was to go back on either of them now i would most probbly suck and wouldn't reach the second corner.

I loved TOCA to bits. Damage engine, suspension, body work etc. I think it was my first sim game like it. Then GTR, which was essentially the same but more intricate. I was a huge Gran Turismo nut (not fanboy) 4 years ago when i had a PS2, but, since the PS2 got nicked, i got stuck into PC sims. I always never classed GT1, 2, 3 and 4 as sims because of the lack of damage you can inflict on the car. Wow, the steering got bent and the tires got worn but bursting tires, denting fenders and in general, completly destroying various parts of a car instantly spelt out realism.

I doubt i could ever go back to any other sim because of LFS It just pours out fun, with the harsh reality that a car can't do 200 into a 180* bend. I dont have S2 yet so i can't really comment on that part of LFS but the demo cars and track are all i need out of it.

All of it boils down to what you said an agree with it completly. What most games are churning out atm just is not what i want in the game. I want it to be as real as walking to a car, sitting down, sticking on a seat belt and doing what the car is really capable of. I want the fender to dent in and screw up the engine when i hit a wall. I wan't my car to flip if i hit a sharp incline on one side. (unlike GT which just jumps)

Also its down to the hardware i think. I use a joypad and enjoy racing with it. But my mates think otherwise because they use keyboard for most games and want to do the same on this. I'm hopefully getting a DFP sometime real soon which will amp up the realism. Using a keyboard aint realistic! never has been. Neither has a joypad but is closer than a keybooard due to analouge steering, throttle and braking. All of which, depending on what is used, will make the game feal shite or excellent.
Quote from baroche :Like many sim racers, when GPL came out I bought heavily into Pappy’s hardcore racing simulation. Damn it, GPL just felt right! Its physics were for the most part consistent with my theoretically knowledge and personal experience of driving 4 wheeled vehicles............ To boot it was just so much fun. but both the physics and track mods took GPL to another level.

Could'nt agree more. The physics, track and car mods are still ongoing, and they get better each year. It's a game that will essentially live forever, a true classic in every sense, and for many years THE benchmark for racing sims.

Quote from baroche : I truly believe that (LFS) is the first game I have played that lives up to the promise, expectation and legacy of GPL. The tire modeling of LFS is probably one of the best ever,

Yep, LFS is the new benchmark.

Quote from baroche : the only, and I repeat only thing that falls short of providing the equivalent scary GPL moments is damage modeling. In GPL of course your clutch wasn’t impregnable and a host of other components could be critically damaged – ending your race on the spot.

Just remember we're only on S2. The game's only halfway through it's development/evolution

Quote from baroche :At the very least, the Devs should consider including Monaco, which is not good as South City, but would provide a good real life point of reference

As you know, this has been discussed ad nauseam on the forums. I agree it would be interesting but for purely comparative reason's, but, may not be so popular for online racing due to the lack of overtaking opportunities. I also agree that SO is/would be much better than Monaco (p.s you tried Monaco Rocks for GPL ?)

Quote from baroche : the stack of redundant games on my shelf soon to be tossed in the garbage

Despite it's shortcomings I actually quite liked the GTL demo, so, if you've got it, then i'll take it off your hands

Quote from baroche : Many of you reading this post play LFS in addition to other sims. How are you able to adjust to the very different physics and input responses across these games? I don’t use Force Feedback, and it totally screws up my feel jumping between sims.

LFS and GPL are basically the only sims i play on a regular basis, and it only takes a couple or so laps to adjust when moving from one to another. I really don't know how you can drive either sim without feedback, cant help thinking you're missing so much of what both games have to offer, but, you didnt mention what controls you use (unless i skimmed it ?). If i were you i would leave the house right now, make a bee-line for the nearest PC World or the like, and get myself a FF wheel. It'll open up a whole new element to you for both of these sims, and you'll REALLY discover how special LFS is. (unless you've tried it and no FF is just your prefered choice )

A very articulate and well informed post Enjoy you LFS career lets hope your move doesn't hinder your racing too much.
And good luck with the move to SA, if you can put up with the accent, then i think you'll really enjoy living there. (be safe)
oops, double post, not sure how that happened ?
#5 - ajp71
I only race LFS, N2003 + GPL (offline only). I find I can jump between LFS, GPL and N2003 with relative ease. I find the biggest problem is switching between GTP and the LFS single seaters as the GTP cars are big cars and typically the tracks I like are narrow tracks which added with a car that can do 0-100 mph in under 5 seconds tends to result in going off at the first corner. I also find it a problem to switch between the BF1 and other cars, so much so I don't bother with it.
Quote from Mazz4200 :

Despite it's shortcomings I actually quite liked the GTL demo, so, if you've got it, then i'll take it off your hands

Sorry Mazz I never bought that one. GTL is only $19.99 at Best Buy in the USA. I will getting rid of:

GTR(german), GP4, F1RC, Nascar Racing 2002, Rally Championship, Monaco Racing2 Sim2 and a whole bunch of flight sims and other old games :- IL2, Jane's WWII, USAF F/A18, Advanced F22.

It seems like a waste but I think most people that would play these games already have them.

Thanks for the good wishes.
#7 - Woz
Richard Burns Rally is the other sim on my system. This is another masterpiece.

Also, Get a force feedback wheel. This will really add so much to LFS you would not think it possible. LFS, and RBR, drive the FF by sending the forces applied to the front wheels up the steering column. The FF feels very natural and lets you feel the car
#8 - ajp71
Quote from baroche :It seems like a waste but I think most people that would play these games already have them.

Just remember if you come to getting rid of N2003 you can make a fortune on it
Quote from ajp71 :Just remember if you come to getting rid of N2003 you can make a fortune on it

Indeed, it's going for around $150 on ebay :/ Yet I can still grab a copy in the stores here for £20 at most.
GPL great memories for me, drifting never felt so good.

The biggest buzz I got from any PC "game" came from GPL.
But times move ..LFS has everything apart from the sound, cars feel great to drive, and since the patch driving smooth almost slow, and seeing the lap times tumble .... great stuff.

Its all there we just need a Patch for the human's.

John
Quote from ajp71 :Just remember if you come to getting rid of N2003 you can make a fortune on it

I bought my copy around a year ago. I found it at a closeout store. At the time, it was going for around $45 US on e-bay and I bought mine for $7. They had 98 copies (I counted them) and I thought about buying all of them and selling on e-bay. Really wish I would have now that they are going for over $100 :banghead: .
#12 - mr_x
there's only 2 racing sims on my PC:
Live for Speed for track racing
Richard Burns Rally for rallying

i did however install Toca2 Touring Cars earlier today (the one released in 1999) and had a blast on that for about 2 hours using the keyboard (what's that? i hear you ask) the graphics aren't really up to scratch, but for a game made 7 years ago it's as good as you will get and great fun!
Agree with all that has been said... GPL and now LFS are both great sims, fun to drive=) But in my opinion the biggest attraction of both is the community. Like minded folk gathered together to have fun. I don't drive GPL anymore, LFS gives me everything I want from a sim, but I still log into vroc everyday..... thanks to almost 8 years of gpl and vroc it feels like home, with the friendliest, funniest, most helpful bunch of folk I have known. Being relatively new to LFS, I am finding a similar spirit, finding new friends (and meeting old ones). Hope to have many years of fun here.
Great post.
I'm a biker at heart and really only plop down some cash for a cage driver game if it really gives me that feeling of control that seems real.

Only 5 sims still on my PC get close to that:
LFS, GPL, NR2003, GP500 & SBK 2000, 2001. (OK 6, SBK2000 has some tracks that can't be missed).
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Indeed, it's going for around $150 on ebay :/ Yet I can still grab a copy in the stores here for £20 at most.

Which store? I never see it in the stores near me.
Quote from dontsimon :Which store? I never see it in the stores near me.

GAME, Game Station, and Storm Games all have it. There is very little demand for PC games in this town, let alone sims. The only time there is a new release rush here is if people from else where come to buy the games locals didn't.
EEEXCCELllent, another one sucked into the vortex of LFS

Moohoohhahahaha

Quote from baroche : before my move to South Africa.

Hey baroche ,

You will be happy to know that there are an active LFS community in South Africa , so your LFS adventure wont have to stop once you move here . We have our own league Here . So let us know when you arrive

(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG