The online racing simulator
Help [Beginner] Hectic Understeer
I've been trying to complete just one lap around the blackwood with the fbmw. I don't usually comment on forums or even log into my account, but this issue of insane understeer has been driving me up the walls [pun intended]

I am not new to simulators, have played GT [Pro] and rF2. i might not know as much about car setups as some of the legends on here, but that doesn't mean i dont have any basics. I recently started playing LFS and loved it. The only issues i've been facing are understeer and spin outs. I know that the car can take so much more speed through the corner, and it feels like everytime i play with other AI, they seem to negotiate corners much faster than i can. [even on beginners they catch upto me]

It also feels like I just cant seem to take any curbs. It is almost effortless how the car just **** spins out. sometimes it happens mid turn as well.... sometimes while even coming into a turn. I've seen some of the players on youtube take those curbs like they don't exist. What am I doing wrong/.

The setup is use is default. I saw this guy finish blackwood with fbm around 1:15. I downloaded his setup, used it and my times didn't improve. the car still felt the same.... understeer-y and sliding all over the place.

Is there something basic i'm missing out? Any help from you is much appreciated... especially since i really want to start playing lfs seriously.

cheers
A replay would be helpful.
Press "2" to save a replay upload it.
What kind of controller do you use?
Most setups have oversteer go files section lfs.net and download some setups.

It also can be that you break way too late.

Give it few more days lets say a month too learnThumbs up

edit typo Smile
Also remember some of the people you will see racing/hotlapping have 1,000's if not 10's of thousands of laps on that combo, as above it's just practice, you'll get there Smile
without seeing your replay etc. some advice into the blue.
check your max steering degree´s.
Is it to low (< 200°), you easily over steer the car. In that case your front wheels lose grip and your car understeer.
On the otherhand, if you did 900°, you possibly not steering enough.
For steering wheel degrees check your wheel config under windows and under lfs.
Both must have the same degrees configed.
If its not that, than iam with GAVD999, maybe you are to fast into the corners Smile

good luck Smile
thanks for all the responses gentlemen, i finally found the issue. it wasn't with my setup or even the way I drove, it was with the controller itself.

A while ago I bought a cheap, second hand logitech G29. I had only used it once before while playing GT and it worked like a charm..recently after university exams i started playing again but this time i tried it on for LFS. and ever since then i had been having issues with steering which i though was as issue with the game. Turns out there's an issue with the controller itself.

I found this issue today when i decided to play GT again. I was sliding all over Spa... when i found out it was the same issue as with lfs.
Either hectic understeer or when i tried turning hard, it would oversteer and spin out. The issue is funny because i've never encountered it before. the wheel turns normally uptill a certain point, after which it maxes out (this happens for both Left and Right corners). Anyways, so I tried playing with my old logitech momo wheel and it worked like a charm! NO understeer and NO spin outs Smile

Thanks once again for your responses. It's really nice to see so many people responding to what was such an amateur mistake.

BTW: My times have drastically improved. First time, on blackwood with the FBM and i reached 1:19. I know its not that fast as compared to you all but i'm getting there.

Cheers legends.

Prost!

PS. How do I upload a video as a reply?
not is a video, is a replay, when the race ends, press "2" and save it with a name you like,then go to your lfs folder to the replay folders, there are 2 of them "spr" for single player and fast lap replay and "mpr" it was a online replay, on the forumn select the full edit post and upload the file and done =)
Not sure about the G29, but G25 and G27 detect the wheel rotation with a small optical encoder wheel. (sensor counts the slits to detect rotation) That part is bit fragile plastic and appearently tends to break.
Then the sensor gets confused by the cracks or the encoderwheel falls completly. (=random sensor signals)

There are some threads about in forum, here someone fixed it with glue:
https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/78893-G27-Broken-Wheel-Position-Sensor

or replacement part: http://www.cmlaserservice.com/page_g25_g27_optical_encoder_wheel.html

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG