The online racing simulator
DEVS are unbelievable...!
(49 posts, started )
i don't know why this thread has gone so off topic, however i'm just going to give my own contribute to keep it OT

about silent pc, nowadays is really hard to make one, but i succeded and also with cheap components and also is quite powerful pc, just choose wisely!

if we want to continue about noiseless PC's please let's do in another thread
LFS graphics are good se far and looks very very realistic to me..one condition though , you gotta have them mxed out oth in the game and especially in the VGA driver with the highest res possible..then LFS is a blast !
Quote from silent_wind :LFS graphics are good se far

Agreed, i think it looks very clean and tidy, unlike other that have too many fancy features on them that make a game look a bit tacky.

Tried GTR the other day and turned it off after 5 minutes, its just not even close to being as fun as LFS.
Quote from SID135 :its already in production for the ps3, sadly =(

Why sadly? at least when u buy a ps3 there will be something much less sucky than nfs to play in it.

glad to know
I have to agree with the OP in that it is amazing that such a small team produced such a fantastic game. As a nice bonus to the great physics engine, I pull 80fps at high-quality easily with an aging system... I love it!
Quote from Slidaaaa :Why sadly? at least when u buy a ps3 there will be something much less sucky than nfs to play in it.

glad to know

I also don't know what is meant by sadly.

The Gran Turismo series does a really great job in simulating real existing cars on real existing tracks. If you choose the correct tyres (the worst ones for old cars and the second worst ones for usual road cars) times on "Nordschleife" for example are very near to real times with that cars.

Driving with the race tyres would be like using very very soft formula 1 tyres, which don't get worse after a few kilometers ... and sport tyres are more like very good semi-slicks.

In fact it does a better job in simulating the general behaviour of the real well known cars and in learning the tracks than LFS. Simply because LFS hasn't got many real cars or real tracks (forget Runabout ... who knows the real runabout and times on real well known tracks?)

After driving "Nürburgring Nordschleife" on GT you can learn a bit about the track. Its not like the real thing but you can really learn a lot before driving for real first time on it.

Whats worse in GT than in LFS is the challenge of driving itself. It is very simple and fun oriented. Steering with pad is a lot simpler of course. But the simulation of different cars and their performance against each other is really good. I am looking forward to GT5.

In GT you also have to drive a good line to be fast. You also have to control throttle to a certain amount and each kind of car behaves like you would expect it to. FWD cars understeer, RWD oversteer ...

(There is even a difference between a good start and a full throttle start with road cars in GT , which isn't simulated correctly in LFS :razz

I generally notice that a lot of people in the LFS community are a bit harsh and hostile against other games. There is also no other community which starts regulary a new thread to just say how great the developers are. Again and again and rated 5 stars again and again. Who cares

People who like other games often like LFS also and drive it. The other way around people often talk bad about other games. There are always people who bash games, that are not their favorite game. But I think in the LFS community there are more of them. Especially avoiding every game with the ISI engine and writing how bad it is without having driven it :P Just my impression ...
Quote from Dumpy :I have to agree with the OP in that it is amazing that such a small team produced such a fantastic game. As a nice bonus to the great physics engine, I pull 80fps at high-quality easily with an aging system... I love it!

Thank you for trying to sway the conversation back to its original direction

And yes, i really like the fact that such a high frame rate can be achieved with less than average systems. I think FPS are extremly important to any game. After all, we dont get sudden lags in reality, so why should we in LFS...:spin:
Quote from tommy10101 :Thank you for trying to sway the conversation back to its original direction

And yes, i really like the fact that such a high frame rate can be achieved with less than average systems. I think FPS are extremly important to any game. After all, we dont get sudden lags in reality, so why should we in LFS...:spin:

how do you explain the matrix bullet time then?

showoffs!!!!!!

i have a new computer and i only achieve 17fps

Yes, its a Dell, so what???
There is a difference between new, and new.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :There is a difference between new, and new.

:iagree: But...

Pentium 4...2.4GHz
Radeon 9600XT 256Mb
512Mb Kingston Ram

These are my basic system specs. I would not say they are anything special at all but i still manage to consistantly achieve 60-100 fps (online with 4-5 other cars in view).

Any other sim i would have a hope in hell of reaching such smoothness
Quote from Spudster :
i have a new computer and i only achieve 17fps

Yes, its a Dell, so what???

even my 5 years old dell notebook does 35fps with lfs...
#37 - th84
I just got a new dell xps... max setting's, 8x 16x, and full grid.. i never drop under 60 fps and average at least 100.

Spudster, maybe your setting's need adjusting. I did some playing around and the pc seems to perform better the higher the setting's are.

I dont know crap about pc's (other than specs).. so dont ask
Quote from tommy10101 ::iagree: But...

Pentium 4...2.4GHz
Radeon 9600XT 256Mb
512Mb Kingston Ram

These are my basic system specs. I would not say they are anything special at all but i still manage to consistantly achieve 60-100 fps (online with 4-5 other cars in view).

Any other sim i would have a hope in hell of reaching such smoothness

This is true. However, if he runs a Celeron, then such FPS would be expected. If it's old hardware. such FPS would be expected. I got around 15-35FPS when I had to use a ATi 7000 32MB PCI graphics card for a few weeks. My lapto which uses onboard doesn't get much better.
My 5 yr old daughter - Celeron 667 with old pci Radeon 9250 256 mb - 35 FPS

Me - AMD Athalon 64 3500 with onboard ATI Xpress 200 256 mb shared video with 1 gig Ram - 35 FPS.

The difference? The Celeron 667 runs min gfx at 800x600x16, AMD runs max gfx at 1152x867x32 and 16x AA/4x AS. I can change anything and everything other than dropping down to 800x600 and I always get 35-45 FPS.

LFS is the only game I play. Partly because it's basically the only game I can play. As I am really quite poor, I have a 'rent-to-buy- laptop that costs me $10 a week. It has a Celeron M 1.4GHZ processor, 256mb of RAM, and an X200M graphics card that uses 64mb of shared memory. It runs Windows XP, which really kills it. I also have dial-up as unfortunately, ADSL is far too expensive Yet, I still manage to achieve 20-30FPS online with 1-2 cars in view. (It drops to about 10-15 with more than that in view). For this reason alone, I absolutely love LFS. Then of course there is the incredibly fun gameplay, and competitive aspect of the game.

Now there are a couple of people that said the Gran Turismo series is good. I will agree... for the most part. It always has a huge array of licensed vehicles and tracks, which really adds to it in my opinion. The physics are fun.. but.. to me they still seem far too 'arcade-ish'. That is of course only my opinion, and many people will, and have the right to, disagree with me. :P

Yeah so that's that.
Quote from RIP2004 :I also don't know what is meant by sadly.

The Gran Turismo series does a really great job in simulating real existing cars on real existing tracks. If you choose the correct tyres (the worst ones for old cars and the second worst ones for usual road cars) times on "Nordschleife" for example are very near to real times with that cars.

Driving with the race tyres would be like using very very soft formula 1 tyres, which don't get worse after a few kilometers ... and sport tyres are more like very good semi-slicks.

In fact it does a better job in simulating the general behaviour of the real well known cars and in learning the tracks than LFS. Simply because LFS hasn't got many real cars or real tracks (forget Runabout ... who knows the real runabout and times on real well known tracks?)

After driving "Nürburgring Nordschleife" on GT you can learn a bit about the track. Its not like the real thing but you can really learn a lot before driving for real first time on it.

Whats worse in GT than in LFS is the challenge of driving itself. It is very simple and fun oriented. Steering with pad is a lot simpler of course. But the simulation of different cars and their performance against each other is really good. I am looking forward to GT5.

In GT you also have to drive a good line to be fast. You also have to control throttle to a certain amount and each kind of car behaves like you would expect it to. FWD cars understeer, RWD oversteer ...

(There is even a difference between a good start and a full throttle start with road cars in GT , which isn't simulated correctly in LFS :razz

I generally notice that a lot of people in the LFS community are a bit harsh and hostile against other games. There is also no other community which starts regulary a new thread to just say how great the developers are. Again and again and rated 5 stars again and again. Who cares

People who like other games often like LFS also and drive it. The other way around people often talk bad about other games. There are always people who bash games, that are not their favorite game. But I think in the LFS community there are more of them. Especially avoiding every game with the ISI engine and writing how bad it is without having driven it :P Just my impression ...

Took the words right out my mouth. I learned more from Gran turismo about racing lines than i have on LFS.
i always felt that LFS had better physics by a medium size margin, but GT has alot more content inside. It used it inferior physics alot more and too the fullest extent.
Kann & lalathegreat

Now thses guys know what thay are talking about - good on ya both

Yep - LFS is the biz
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :The Source SDK is dead anyway. Valve updated it, broke it, not fixed it yet. Put many mods on hold.

hehe, thats what all the confusion is all about!
Changed my mind
Quote from Khann :LFS is the only game I play. Partly because it's basically the only game I can play. As I am really quite poor, I have a 'rent-to-buy- laptop that costs me $10 a week. It has a Celeron M 1.4GHZ processor, 256mb of RAM, and an X200M graphics card that uses 64mb of shared memory. It runs Windows XP, which really kills it. I also have dial-up as unfortunately, ADSL is far too expensive Yet, I still manage to achieve 20-30FPS online with 1-2 cars in view. (It drops to about 10-15 with more than that in view). For this reason alone, I absolutely love LFS. Then of course there is the incredibly fun gameplay, and competitive aspect of the game.

Now there are a couple of people that said the Gran Turismo series is good. I will agree... for the most part. It always has a huge array of licensed vehicles and tracks, which really adds to it in my opinion. The physics are fun.. but.. to me they still seem far too 'arcade-ish'. That is of course only my opinion, and many people will, and have the right to, disagree with me. :P

Yeah so that's that.

Hey Khan
PM me if you are really, genuinely, that broke etc and live within 50-100 Klms of me I'll give you My Athlon 1800 system free, no one should have to play LFS on a celeron laptop

Athlon 1800 has um lets look, licensed XP Pro 256 mb system ram 32 mb GEforce 2 MX 32 mb video, shitty 14 inch colour monitor ( sorry have no other size available ) 80 Gb HDD keyboard and mouse
Up to you
Cheers ShannonN
That is an extremely nice offer, but I couldn't possibly do that ;\ Plus I don't think I live within 50-100km :P I live in outback Queensland.
Quote from Khann :That is an extremely nice offer, but I couldn't possibly do that ;\ Plus I don't think I live within 50-100km :P I live in outback Queensland.

I can understand that however, I'm not using it for much ATM and I beleive you'd benefit from a desktop for gaming, I've sent a PM to you to discuss this further

Cheers
ShannonN
i live in the UK, is that close enough? plus, im so poor that i can only get my hair done once a month...
Quote from ayrton senna 87 :i live in the UK, is that close enough? plus, im so poor that i can only get my hair done once a month...

Um .... NO! I will send you a picture of the system so you can imagine what your missing out on. The offer has been accepted by Mr Khann and within a few weeks when I get the chance to deliver it he'll be racing on a desktop

DEVS are unbelievable...!
(49 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG