The online racing simulator
Layout editor object problem.
(7 posts, started )
Hi,

Got a small problem on Westhill car park. As the parking lot is elevated, when I try to place down a long row of concrete walls, some walls start to float as they go in a straight line. How do I keep them level to the ground?

Thanks.
Concrete objects are always floating (blue object markers) - they are not attached to ground,only when placing first object,ground check is used to determine it's Z position.
Only solution is to adjust height or Z position of these walls and level out the transition with ramp walls by placing them exactly on walls and picking correct lenght and height.
Sounds like cancer and it smells like it will roast my brain.
I don't really understand anything, I can't change the way the wall is pointing to get it tilted downwards to sit flush with the parking lot's pavement.
Correct, it can't be done with concrete walls.
You can't change the 'tilt' of a normal wall, but you can change its height. A ramp wall is already tilted, but you can't change it's height (its always 0.75m high).

In edit mode, the 'height' of a ramp wall refers to how much of a tilt you will have - if you choose 0.5m then one end will be 0.5m higher at one side than the other - regardless of length of wall).

When you use a normal wall, it is not placed perpendicular to the ground - it is placed horizontally (flat), 'Z' metres above zero (where Z can be from zero to 60m). But the ground you are trying to place it on may be 2m at one end and 3m at another. That means placing a 1m high wall could result in touching ground at one end, but being 1m above ground ("floating") at other end, or if you lower the wall 1m, one end 1m high above ground and other end disappearing into ground.

So, if you want a taller wall than a ramp wall, as Eclipsed said, sometimes you have to place a normal wall, then place a ramp wall on top, tilted to match ground

Building on Westhill is hard - I made a simple oval (see HERE) that on the normal AU1 Autocross map would have taken a few hours, but on Westhill, took about 16. And it's not unusual to think you've placed something on the 'ground', to find it's actually 'floating' in the air. Especially if the ground is grass. I've found that building something in mid-air, then lowering everything together, is sometimes better. But you're restricted to a group of 30 items.

You can always download my oval, then play around with it in Edit mode, especially the Z height of walls, to see what I mean.
I just used those concrete wall things which look close to ramps and smoothed them out so the surface is flat.

(7 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG