The online racing simulator
Top Gear at Risk
(69 posts, started )
Top Gear at Risk
http://cars.msn.co.uk/carnews/tgbanmay06/Default.asp

Quote :
The racetrack made famous by its use in the BBC motoring show has been served with a noise abatement programme that threatens the current series of the show.

Its one of the very few programs actually watch on TV FFS

Jeez, how loud can one car going around the track be? If they stop filming Top Gear there, they should turn it back into an airfield, I'm sure that would be much quieter...
As far as I understand it, parts of it are still a working airfield Although that could be bollocks...

Having read the article, it would be a real shame if this "threat" and its consequences were carried out
Quote from the_angry_angel :As far as I understand it, parts of it are still a working airfield Although that could be bollocks...

Having read the article, it would be a real shame if this "threat" and its consequences were carried out

no it is still an airfield, hence you often see planes in the background. im sure there has been a 737 parked in the background a few times

edit: ah, the 737 is a fire training dummy plance :doh:
Doesn't mean they couldn't find another location for their test track.

Would be neat to see a real racetrack used actually...
Quote from Tweaker :Doesn't mean they couldn't find another location for their test track.

The problem with that is ALL their score boards would be worthless and need to start from fresh.
Quote from Tweaker :Doesn't mean they couldn't find another location for their test track.

My local track (castlecoombe), which they've visited once recently, would be an ideal track (in my biased opinion, of course)
Looking at the article I'm guessing the noise is for the race meetings, not the actual show. So if the owners stop the race meetings there should be no problem with Top Gear still doing their testing there.
*COUGH*Apache Helicopter*COUGH*
*COUGH*Gordon Ramsey*COUGH*
Quote from Spudster :*COUGH*Apache Helicopter*COUGH*
*COUGH*Gordon Ramsey*COUGH*

They had permits for that, their permit ran out in April, so them filming their is now naughty
I'm sorry but anyone trying to run a track day venue without noise planning permission deserves to be shot. Whilst normally racing is threatened by stupid complaints over noise it seems fair enough in this case.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :They had permits for that, their permit ran out in April, so them filming their is now naughty

did they have a permit for gordon ramsey going around the track? all that swearing lol
Quote from the_angry_angel :My local track (castlecoombe), which they've visited once recently, would be an ideal track (in my biased opinion, of course)

Erm, sorry to tell you this, but I don't think it would be as Castle Combe is actually under threat of closure for the same reasons.

Petition here, sign it: http://www.petitiononline.com/306007/
Whilst it is one of the very few things i watch on TV at the moment, If they dont have permission they should stop. There are race tracks all over the place being hassled for their noise levels by residents who moved in a few months earlier and this cant help their case.

I hope they do get a permit though
Quote from sinbad :Erm, sorry to tell you this, but I don't think it would be as Castle Combe is actually under threat of closure for the same reasons.

yay i am petition number 9680!!!
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Who lives near an airfield anyways? (im talking really close) You bought the place... you'd think they would realize the complications of planes landing and how active it would be....

Airfields hardly ever get shut down from noise complaints, it's a given such things create noise, nothing you can do about it.
@ Tweak - I think truth being told an airfield like this will produce no more noise than the average road, little Cessnas don't make much noise in the end of the day and occasionally there will be the odd more noisy plane or small jet. Cars being driven hard probably produce a lot more noise but also the noise is likely to be more annoying if you don't want to hear it on a pleasant afternoon in your garden because unlike an aeroplane its constantly changing and will go on non-stop for half an hour or so.

@ Kev - Monza has been shut down following some complaints off residents, all looks very dodgey though as the same people in charge of issuing the order have buisness interest in redeveloping the site for housing (but thats the Italian government for you :shrug.
Quote from sinbad :Erm, sorry to tell you this, but I don't think it would be as Castle Combe is actually under threat of closure for the same reasons.

Its been under that threat for some time. I can't see it going very far at the moment...or at least I hope not
I really hate these people that move in next to a track then complain about the noise. The problem with our society is the answer to everything is taking them to court and bully them into submission type thing. Back when I raced karts our local track had to impose certain days and timings that you were allowed to run to keep this guy who had a forest separating him and track happy :/. We even went down to his house to see what this `noise` was and you could just hear the 2 strokes if you listened hard enough. Then this guy moved out and now a woman has moved in who is even worse. Isn’t part of buying a house choosing the location??? :s

Personally I’d love to live next to a race track

Keiran
-
(Schooner) DELETED by Schooner
Anyone who lives near an airfield or a race track should not be allowed to complain about the noise unless it was build/became active AFTER they moved there, and if no public notices were erected nearby inviting protests and comments.

We get a lot near Heathrow (I lived near it at Uni), and I never understood it. "No to noise". Well, didn't you stop Heathrow when you were buying your house you inbecilic people.

In protest I think Top Gear should remove all silencers of the (including the Daewoo reasonably priced turd) and make AS MUCH NOISE AS POSSIBLE. And signal to the drivers/cameramen/police using tuned klaxxons.
Nothing new about this. They've been closing offroad places for years, due to people complaining about noise.

I gave up giving a sh!t what these type of people think ages ago. Nothing better to do then moan at people having more fun then they ever will.
a mountainboarding center i used to go to had this problem for ages, and that was out in a field in the middle of nowhere, they dont even have engines!
Quote from keiran :I really hate these people that move in next to a track then complain about the noise. The problem with our society is the answer to everything is taking them to court and bully them into submission type thing. Back when I raced karts our local track had to impose certain days and timings that you were allowed to run to keep this guy who had a forest separating him and track happy :/. We even went down to his house to see what this `noise` was and you could just hear the 2 strokes if you listened hard enough. Then this guy moved out and now a woman has moved in who is even worse. Isn’t part of buying a house choosing the location??? :s

Personally I’d love to live next to a race track

Keiran

I agree.

I think motorsport should be legally exempt from noise legislation, and the planning permission legislation for the next new track should be loosened.

People who move in after a facility is built should have no right to compain. In fact, they should run a top fueller on one of the runway there, to show the stupid NIMBYs what noise is, not a stupid lacetti.
Airports now have to stick to some noise level thingy, if a plane makes over so much noise, at set distances from an Airport then the company who owns the plane gets fined for it.

But I've lived next to an airport, my room at uni was under the flight path from Manchester Airport, I've been down a road that runs behind the back of an airport and often you have to stop on because a plane is taking off or landing... they do not make that much noise. People who move in next to one should be aware of it though, it's not like it was hiding, then after they move in, it jumps out of the ground and screams suprise.

People bitching about noise polution is one thing. It's the save the planet hippies I want to maul to death with a spoon. Are humans that egotistical that we think we can kill this rock?

The planet has been here for billions of years, under gone ice ages, heat ups, you name it. Humans have been here for a few thousand... long after we're all dead, this rock will still be kicking back in the sun. Add to the fact that humans only create ~3-5% of the green house gasses, the rest are created by the earth and we can't stop it's creation.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from thisnameistaken :I think it's more the destruction of the human race that people are worried about. Quite reasonably, really.

But it's going to happen no matter what, so rather the being scared to turn on a light, or use too much fuel, we should go out having fun.

This sort of thinking is probably why I wasn't allowed in the uni debate team

Top Gear at Risk
(69 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG