The online racing simulator
No more DirectX 9 support in Oculus Rift SDK future versions
https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=19489

Quote from cybereality :Due to API and resource limitations, we’ve decided to deprecate DirectX 9 support and will be removing it from LibOVR in the near future. This will allow us to focus on future work using DirectX 11 and OpenGL that will help deliver a great VR experience on Windows.

Apps that use DirectX 9 will continue to work for the foreseeable future, but they won’t compile in future SDK releases and may have additional runtime latency after we remove DirectX 9 support.

Reply from Scawen:

Quote from Scawen :I don't think this is a problem for LFS as we are not using the "Direct Mode" to generate the output image.

LFS generates the output image itself, using tracking info provided by the Rift and info to construct the distortion mesh, but this is provided in a way that does not depend on any DirectX version.

It just means we should stick with "Extended Mode" for now. It would be sad to move onto later versions of DirectX because that would eliminate Mac and Linux users and LFS would be literally Windows only. That is something I would like to avoid for as long as possible.

#2 - Danas
well, that was fun while it lasted Big grin
But but but.. What about my Win XP Frown

Wink
****-ing retards.

EDIT: Swear filter needs to be made case-insensitive.
This can't be good...
If you were reading their (Occulas Rift) info this is just confirming what they've been saying for months.
Basicly, sorry but 13 year old OS's are no longer supported, we're now in 2015, suck it up and move on.....

IT is a dynamic existence and like rust, it doesn't sleep. Obviously, to get a 3D interface you need a later version of DirectX than XP (DX9c) can deliver.

The good news is that AC will support Occ Rift, and if LFS moves forward, and then, IF Scrawen accepts that IT has moved on from the Intel Celeron 2.4 days then LFS can embrace this as well.

Most people have at least dual core processors, most people have a real video card, even Server 2003 has passed it's 'use by' date.
LFS needs to be relevent today, not just a great game in 2008.
Or it can always be released on GOG and be relegated to a wiki entry !

IT is always moving, maybe not in a way people like but IF you want to be part of bleeding edge development (3D/Occ Rift) then you need to be bleeding edge. Not living in the past.

That's posted from my business/life experience of being a Sys Admin/Co owner doing IT support. In my world 'bleeding edge' is bad, what I'm looking for is tested and proven. These are two different worlds and Scrawen needs to choose which world LFS is in.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/01/21/microsoft-hololens-announced/
Anyone read the latest MS announcement about gaming, 3d etc ?

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/microsofts-hololens-is-no-joke-my-reality-augmented-with-skype-minecraft/
The Hololens idea is retarded. Thinking that people will wander around wearing goggles (which is different than rift, which is stationary) is absurd. Whoever was in charge of that project at Microsoft may have taken the legal marijuana in Washington state a little bit too far.

I also disagree with Oculus ditching DX9. There's no benefit to anyone by doing that, they're just excluding users for no real reason other than "it's old." It breaks trust with developers because if they can kill DX9, they can kill DX10 as well (as DX10 is also quite old, circa Vista era).

They're alienating paying customers and developers with their decisions, and wasting developers precious time as well. Scawen spent months implementing DX9 and Rift support in LFS, and now that's (nearly) for naught.
I did say you may not like the way things go but, $progress is $money.

To pay for $progress then $users need to pay $money to pay the costs of $progress.

XP is dead, so to encourage users that they need $10, ( which is clearly, like Office 365, a 'pay as you go licencing system' ) you must drop support for older OS's.
Try thinking, who has just brought Occ Rift ?

Who will give Farcebook $$$ for supporting $10 ?

Read the links I've posted and try thinking about $$$ as being the driver for this tech.
I can't even understand what you're saying as every 3rd word is prepended with a "$".
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I can't even understand what you're saying as every 3rd word is prepended with a "$".

$But $ $are $all $that $matter !

$How $can $you $fail $to $understand !

$Are $you $some $sort $of $commie $who $doesn't $believe $in $the $$$Free $Market ?

TL:DR, It's all about money. Get with the program.
Right.. It's so much about the money that by next year, OS X, Windows and Linux will all be free to use... (I am confident that the "1 year free Win 10" is a play to get people to upgrade quickly).

Deprecating APIs (which still work perfectly fine) doesn't do anything to make more money. If anything they're cutting a group of potential purchasers off, which is counter to "all about the money".
Windoze free to use ????

Linux yes, Mac OS yes, read what is actually being released with Windoze 10. It will be free tor ONE YEAR, after that it's a subscription, the same as Office 365 etc. You need to pay your yearly licence to use the OS. Or your PC stops working !
(Edit; actually, from my point of view, this is great. Linux install time as long as linux (Steam) can get the hardware working. And most of my users don't need that. All they need is 'Word" and email !)
Every year you pay $ to use this software. So, if you can lock in hardware to only use $Yearly Subscription software, result $$$$$$$

Do read what's actually being released rather than turning off after the 'free' word.
You clearly did not pay attention. Within the first year (and my prediction is it will stay), if you "upgrade" your licence to Win 10, it's yours to keep for good.

There's no subscription model. Windows is actually becoming free.

But the truth doesn't fit into your propaganda, so you must ignore it.
Cool, just done a re read and they claim it's a free update. So, yes, your right.

FYI, you can't update from XP though, or Wista Smile and from my playing with the test versions of 10, I still prefer 7 on a PC. Or a shell prog to make it useable in a Business/Productive environment.

I'll still need to find out how this affects business MAK licences for Windows though or if it's only public licences. (And yes, I am reading their posts)

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/01/21/the-next-generation-of-windows-windows-10/
Eh.. I think when push comes to shove, they'll jsut let anyone install Win 10.
I just sold my Rift...its far from ready.

going back to 3x24" screens.
Crescent Bay is the version you want, nothing else really cuts it apparently.
http://www.kpopstarz.com/articles/166039/20150120/oculus-rift-crescent-bay-consumer-release-date.htm

Oculus’ objectives at CES 2015 was fairly clear; 1) Get the new Oculus Rift ‘Crescent Bay’ onto as many people’s heads as possible and 2) Talk up VR Audio, the company’s term for their 3D positional audio pipeline. It seems to have been ‘mission accomplished’ on both counts judging by the sheer amount of mainstream press the company has received this year – all talking about 3D positional audio and their incredible experiences with Oculus’ latest hardware.
http://www.roadtovr.com/ces-2015-oculus-rift-crescent-bay-designed-audiophiles-heres-matters/

So, if you've brought into the 'MUST BUY' 'game', sell the old version to some sucker who doesn't read, and buy the latest version that's 'MUCH BETTER'
At least until the next 'BEST' version is released in 8/10 months...... Or, just go to a decent single/dual/triple monitor setup that works with a 10 year old game, give it 18 months or so to really get sorted (both Occ Rift & LFS) and then spend some money !
I don't think this is a problem for LFS as we are not using the "Direct Mode" to generate the output image.

LFS generates the output image itself, using tracking info provided by the Rift and info to construct the distortion mesh, but this is provided in a way that does not depend on any DirectX version.

It just means we should stick with "Extended Mode" for now. It would be sad to move onto later versions of DirectX because that would eliminate Mac and Linux users and LFS would be literally Windows only. That is something I would like to avoid for as long as possible.
"Oculus’ public mission for providing top-notch VR Audio began with their announcement at Oculus Connect that the company was to license Maryland University startup Visisonics‘ Realspace 3D Audio engine for inclusion in their SDK. This means that every developer creating experiences for the Oculus Rift will have immediate access to a set of APIs that allow them to take advantage of 3D positional audio without the need to seek out proprietary solutions. In theory, lowering the barrier of entry for great 3D sound in games."

So Scrawen, can this can just be incorporated without needing any changes or later DX versions ?, It's just that the first consumer release (Crescent Bay) is making a big deal of this, as well as the updated graphics.

Mind you, Mister Zee (the owner) says 3D is still $#@! and won't work properly for years.
Zuckerberg said that the Rift is still at an "extremely early stage," and he compared all of the VR headset field to the first "terrible" mobile phones.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-01-15-facebook-boss-compares-current-vr-to-first-terrible-mobile-phones
(15 Jan 2015!)

Crescent Bay review, http://www.roadtovr.com/hands-on-oculus-rift-crescent-bay-prototype/
Thank you, Scawen. Reply added to OP.
Sad bit of news. Direct mode and DX10 has always been a massive headache for me when working with Unity. Direct mode also really hates multiple monitors, which makes it a complete pain in the arse to use.

Extended mode and DX9 has been nearly flawless and the easiest combo to get working properly.
#22 - CZE
Hey.How many people here have Occ Rift??
Its realy nice features and i realy want try it....but in my country is too much expensive Occ Rift and i will be able to buy it maybe after 20-30 years...And if i am right LFS is "DRIVER SIMULATOR".Then why you care about graphic??Why you not care how the cars behave on the road?If its near to real cars or not??

If you want better graphic go play arcade games made by Big Gaming Company...for example arcade Need For Speed Shift 2...They have big team for graphic,modeling and others.But behavior of the car in this game totaly crappy.
With the risk of sounding obnoxious, the rift DK2 is a game changer, especially in lfs. It literally is a totally different experience. The scale is 1 to 1 so it feels much more like you are sat in the car. Yes, there are limitations but CV1 should sort that out but it's not just about graphics it's about simulation.
-
(Andrea1) DELETED by Flame CZE : spam
Quote from Matrixi :Sad bit of news. Direct mode and DX10 has always been a massive headache for me when working with Unity. Direct mode also really hates multiple monitors, which makes it a complete pain in the arse to use.

in recent sdks direct mode has been brilliant
you dont need some streaming app to mirror it on your screen it usually works flawlessly and the december nvidia driver doesnt completely **** it up like it does for extended mode

Quote :Extended mode and DX9 has been nearly flawless and the easiest combo to get working properly.

extended mode can be genuinely horrific and allows you to get away with unbelievably stupid shit like assetto corsa does
i mean i guess i shouldnt be surprised that kunos half assed something in the game but still anything that forces developers to either implement the rift perfectly or not at all would be highly appreciated
Quote from Shotglass :in recent sdks direct mode has been brilliant

Disagree strongly.

Running direct mode with my dual monitor system with different resolutions causes extremely choppy FPS in Rift applications.

Sometimes direct mode and DX10 refuses to work at all, crashing directly to desktop. I suppose it's due to the Titan not being tested properly with the Oculus SDK or something, but it's infuriating.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG