The online racing simulator
Quote from Anthoop :I disagree that a good wheel is the fastest way around a track (LFS).
For me personally, without a wheel I am completely useless.

Indeed.

I disagree. Use low rotation on a wheel then the precision is less...sure you can turn the wheels lock to lock faster but it is much more sensitive to any input.

Yes..no one is saying using this or that controller will make anyone a driving God...

When I was playing this game I spent nearly all my time trying to go fast for just one lap, often other guys of a similar nature would be doing the same....I have observed many people intensely...using all sorts of controllers/set ups etc.
Two of the people named in this thread I have a very good knowledge of...Nilex and Marus.
I regard Nilex as a friend. He uses mouse and knows his limitations...but they are few and far between. He knows how to make the mouse work and knows the game inside out.
I had a fair bit of fun with Marus, however regarding the game I would put him into a different category altogether ......and probably best I leave it at that.

It most likely be that those are fast with one controller would equally be as fast with other controller types over time, I have seen it so many times with racers on bl1 that were getting close to 1.12.00 with mouse then changing to wheel and getting to that time again after a period of time

I think any limitations is with the driver themselves and not the controller

@ped7g I agree with you and that being able to move the fast in my experience seems to kill your tyres, it happened to me a lot when I first started to use a gamepad until I set the analogue steer smooth to a good setting
Quote from Ped7g :Especially in endurance races, as with the aggressive drive you can shave off a tenth or two of time in qualify or sprint race, but in endurance the smooth consistency usually pays off well.

We had a perfect example of this on the CoRe Racing GT2 Team for the 2008 MoE 24HR @ AS5. We had one driver who didn't seem to understand the concept of smooth. They turned some really fast laps, but chewed up the tires badly as a result. ~4 laps before our top smooth drivers would have pit, they popped a tire and cost us all the time they gained and then some.
Quote from Ped7g :I'm not sure how much the real life of karting relates to LFS (I don't drive stock cars much, and formula cars are IMO much more similar to karting), but the "you can't move wheel fast" comments make me wonder why would you want to do that, usually it makes the car nervous and slower, than a well executed smooth line without any corrections. Especially in endurance races, as with the aggressive drive you can shave off a tenth or two of time in qualify or sprint race, but in endurance the smooth consistency usually pays off well.

This is nicely said. You touched one of four advantages of a wheel to mouse (only regarding steering rates). Two others are having to constantly pay attention to in-game wheel lock position (i for example take a driver with white gloves to improve visibility) and inconsistently of getting in-game wheel lock to desired position without additional corrections. Forgot the fourth one, maybe later
This all is happening while racing ofcourse before anyone decides to tackle those arguments in a stationary car.

Few more things i wish to add. Steering rate with wheel is fast already with 720° lock, even more so when you realize that only 240° of it is useful with the exception of those tight hairpins for which there is always time to add and extra 60° on either side. I know this because, well what do you know I don't steer past 120° with correct driving and no hairpins, also, as smooth as i can. The one situation where you possibly must steer ultra fast and where precision doesn't really matter is excessive counter-steering after a mistake. Only then mousers have a large disadvantageous start as they have very few options to even prevent, and after, get out of that mistake.
About the ability to drive with lock-to-lock in 1 sec (only two degrees any mouser can precisely steer to); if you think that is an advantage, please tell me
Last thing I am thinking of now is about comparing controllers by comparing two or more drivers with different controllers but of different skill as well. Hopefully i don't have to get much into that. Let's just say that even comparing same driver but with different controllers is also bad.
It's probably best to find two or, better but harder, more drivers that use different controllers but have lots of similar laptimes over different tracks. Don't know, how about 0.1 sec difference / 1 min? That level of similarity. And then find a new situation where a mouse driver constantly gains an advantage and the reasons for it. I'd be open for discussion then, but it won't happen. I wouldn't want that either, it's better to beat wheelers with a shitty mouse
Quote from Nilex :.... it's better to beat wheelers with a shitty mouse

There you go, I knew you would have a contribution here.
Now either buy a wheel or take up that free offer. :P

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG