The online racing simulator
a tiny bit off-topic but reading about different people's controller experiences is cool.

if you use a force-feedback joystick like a MS sidewinder, you do your steering against the force coming back from the wheel. it's hard to describe but you have the fast lock-to-lock advantage a mouse has only with more smoothness and a lot of help from feeling the grip.

it also has an analog thingy you would use for the airplane throttle that works for gas and brake.

still using a wheel is so much more immersive any disadvantages don't matter.

--

on topic, i would say the physics engine allows some things that could give an advantage. you can get real-time information about the car's handling from insim ... say longitudinal slip? and since we're driving with computers, the inputs given to LFS could be modified based on that ... say the clutch?

an enterprising person could do the equivalent of gaining a tiny advantage kind of like a race engineer can get a few extra hp by reprogramming the motor's ECU. all part of the game then? would that really count as an exploit?
one more thing is

dont play lfs and then jump to another sim or "sim" and try to learn it and then go back to lfs..especially when the other game requires learning like (simraceway and iracing..)
Quote from giannhsgr1 :one more thing is

dont play lfs and then jump to another sim or "sim" and try to learn it and then go back to lfs..especially when the other game requires learning like (simraceway and iracing..)

their tire model is just worse. that's why it's harder to learn. And don't tell me lfs doesn't require learning. in those 5 years of lfs I drove, i learned more han I did in iracing or simraceway
Quote from CodeLyoko1 :their tire model is just worse. that's why it's harder to learn. And don't tell me lfs doesn't require learning. in those 5 years of lfs I drove, i learned more han I did in iracing or simraceway

That's really it. I can go between LFS and AC with ease because the tyre model is more correct. iRacing's is just garbage, and when I tried rFactor 2, it seemed to go down the same "slippery == realistic" nonsense that iRacing follows. Nevermind the FFB was horribly incorrect.
Quote from giannhsgr1 :one more thing is

This is arguable. I recently played iRacing (on crappy Ford Specracer car)... The car is really ugly - it has neither power nor handling... Oversteers a bit on braking (u can't change brake power, so you have to use brakes very gently) and hell damn understeers on exits, like if you drive a UF1... After return to LFS I had a lot of enjoinment on FOX car (which I don't like much honestly).

I think other sims are worth trying at least, can give you somewhat bigger image on driving...
well my personal exp from iracing/simraceway/raceroom/ac (i spend some time on each of those to learn (the least was 4 weeks 2 days for pagani zonda r in ac what a machine its sticks to the road) after a hell of a lot changes in driving style and adjusting things here and there it made my comeback to lfs very tricky in some various cars it was frustrating to say the least i was constantly 1-2 sec below my pb's
Quote from dawesdust_12 :That's really it. I can go between LFS and AC with ease because the tyre model is more correct. iRacing's is just garbage, and when I tried rFactor 2, it seemed to go down the same "slippery == realistic" nonsense that iRacing follows. Nevermind the FFB was horribly incorrect.

Will you stop basing opinins on games that you tried years ago the last time? I would be grateful if you only stated "facts" about stuff you tried recently.
Quote from Kristi :Will you stop basing opinins on games that you tried years ago the last time? I would be grateful if you only stated "facts" about stuff you tried recently.

Before you blame people u should first check if that was before or after latest physics patch.
Quote from vitaly_m :Before you blame people u should first check if that was before or after latest physics patch.

He made that post Today at 10:05. What is your point then?
Quote from dawesdust_12 :That's really it. I can go between LFS and AC with ease because the tyre model is more correct. iRacing's is just garbage, and when I tried rFactor 2, it seemed to go down the same "slippery == realistic" nonsense that iRacing follows. Nevermind the FFB was horribly incorrect.

Dustin Dawes - when is the last time you played iRacing?
Quote from S.E.T.H :you guys talk like you know nothing about button control rate. it does not help you with not locking the tyres or accelerating smoothly. in accelerating, it feels like turbo lag because after the initial press on the button, it just gives you the full power. if it worked like you thought, you could be going at a certain speed while holding the throttle button down. but you cant.

lets say you have to use 60% brake at some point, button control rate wont really be of any help. it works for the first second you press the button. it'll just hit 100% moments after the initial press. so you will lock the wheels and your only chance is releasing the button and pressing it again which will cost you time.

Quote from ImudilaSkyline :Tapping the buttons helps and it won't cost you much time if you have your button control rate just right and you can control your taps.

what imudilaskyline wrote as a part of an answer to seth

i dont have any problem with the turbo lag or the brakes locking up under hard conditions

and if you are having the those problems while using mouse then you learn nothing from lfs

Quote from vitaly_m :Some background: Before I bought my G27 I had 1:12.42 hotlap PB at Blackwood FBM. After switching to wheel I was barely doing 1:13.40 but with time I started to get 1:12.80 and could get more but I get bored from this combo very soon.

Another combo I had some decent experience is SO4 BF1. My new PB is done with wheel and I can't do any close to it with mouse.

I had lots of experience with mouse and then switched to wheel because I was 100% sure it will make me a better racer. And it did. Because you can't drive in a single file on mouse as easy and stable as on wheel. You will either burn your tires or lose the field and give up positions a lot on most of the combos - because you can't brake and accelerate smoothly.

Ofcourse you can try and even succeed but then looking replays and seeing how easy it was for wheel racers, you will frustrate and start saving money for the wheel

I am talking about powerful formula cars like BF1 and FOX (FO8 is mostly undrivable with mouse already). Wheel is better here in races IMO. The only advantage is that you can recover from spins better due to ease of lock-to-lock steering moves, but hell, you got hot tyres anyway...

Hotlapping is a bit different from that and mouse can get very fast because you can recoup early braking with a bit earlier and drifty accelerating while moving your mouse left and right like crazy and hoping tyres will last for the final turn

i have to disagree with that, i have no problems driving the F08 or the BF1 with mouse plus i dont remember a race witch my tyres finished red cuz i'm driving with mouse, i dont know what are you talking about
you should come to CG and see that they are mouse driver faster much faster that anyone doing on wheel
Quote from Kristi :Will you stop basing opinins on games that you tried years ago the last time? I would be grateful if you only stated "facts" about stuff you tried recently.

Will you stop jumping to the conclusion that it's been years since I've tried out iRacing?

That said, after the last time I tried it and it was evident that they still were making no attempts to make their tyre model anything less than utter shit.. I decided that it's not worth trying again.
Quote from Fordman :Firstly, thank you for nobody bashing me, for just asking a question LOL. I am not bashing the mouse drivers, but most of you have answered the question, re setups for mouse and setups for wheel's.

I did forget to mention, that when nilex gave me his setup, I was actually faster and got a new PB LOL but I was fighting the wheel, as in constantly correcting the whole time, where my setup, I don't have to fight it.

If I continue using that, I would end up with biceps like Van Damn HE HE

Fordie

Who is this Nilex person?...
I will tell you that he has been playing this game for a very long time...he can make/alter a set well...he knows what track/car he can work with...he knows how to maximise his performance potential with the mouse.
You will have to put in a massive amount of time and effort to even get close...to beat him you will have to be either naturally talented or dedicated to the extreme.

Would he be faster or slower using a wheel though?
Quote from Inouva :
i have to disagree with that, i have no problems driving the F08 or the BF1 with mouse plus i dont remember a race witch my tyres finished red cuz i'm driving with mouse, i dont know what are you talking about
you should come to CG and see that they are mouse driver faster much faster that anyone doing on wheel

Well I am not surprised that someone can do it Even I could do it with some success, but for me it was easier to learn the wheel.

UPD: I don't try to say that wheel is better for everyone. But wheel is more fun for me, so switching to wheel was good decision anyway.

Sometimes I look at mouse and keyboard drivers and it seems to me that they just love to drive that way -- it is cheaper, you can drive at any PC at any place. AND if you are faster than some wheel driver, you make him mad: "Hey, I spent 300$ for my wheel and you are faster with a mouse!"
Quote from vitaly_m :Well I am not surprised that someone can do it Even I could do it with some success, but for me it was easier to learn the wheel.

UPD: I don't try to say that wheel is better for everyone. But wheel is more fun for me, so switching to wheel was good decision anyway.

Sometimes I look at mouse and keyboard drivers and it seems to me that they just love to drive that way -- it is cheaper, you can drive at any PC at any place. AND if you are faster than some wheel driver, you make him mad: "Hey, I spent 300$ for my wheel and you are faster with a mouse!"

TBH, i whoud switch to a wheel if i got the money, but yeah, with some time and practice on mouse you can be as fast as a wheel users with advantage and disadvantage of using mouse =P
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Will you stop jumping to the conclusion that it's been years since I've tried out iRacing?

That said, after the last time I tried it and it was evident that they still were making no attempts to make their tyre model anything less than utter shit.. I decided that it's not worth trying again.

Having not played a game that has updates on a 3 monthly basis and basing an opinion on an experience from years ago deserves nothing more than ranting against your post, especially now that the latest patch took the whole simulator to a whole new level at least Tyre Physics wise, yet you are still stuck at the iceRacing trend, which now isn't really true. I came back to LFS for a few laps and I swear iR felt grippier than this.
Quote from Kristi :Having not played a game that has updates on a 3 monthly basis and basing an opinion on an experience from years ago deserves nothing more than ranting against your post, especially now that the latest patch took the whole simulator to a whole new level at least Tyre Physics wise, yet you are still stuck at the iceRacing trend, which now isn't really true. I came back to LFS for a few laps and I swear iR felt grippier than this.

Again... you make the assumption that it was years ago that I last tried iRacing.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Again... you make the assumption that it was years ago that I last tried iRacing.

Dustin Dawes last login was 5-21-2012
Dustin Dawes2 last login was 6-9-2013
Dustin Dawes3 last login was before the last iceage, which is about the same time when we lost the icecube tires. But, then again you would be an expert at judging that because Canada.
Quote from Bmxtwins :Dustin Dawes last login was 5-21-2012
Dustin Dawes2 last login was 6-9-2013
Dustin Dawes3 last login was before the last iceage, which is about the same time when we lost the icecube tires. But, then again you would be an expert at judging that because Canada.

You make the assumption I'd use my old account (singular of those 3) and pay $12 or whatever for a month, instead of getting a super cheap trial.

Also, why would I use my real name when I know mouth breathers like you would stalk?

Regardless, lets move on from this conversation as I know what I know is correct, and what you think is not.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :You make the assumption I'd use my old account (singular of those 3) and pay $12 or whatever for a month, instead of getting a super cheap trial.

Also, why would I use my real name when I know mouth breathers like you would stalk?

Regardless, lets move on from this conversation as I know what I know is correct, and what you think is not.

Well why not just tell us when you tried it the last time and which car (not all of them are updated with the latest tyre model) rather than dancing around the question?
Quote from aaltomar :Well why not just tell us when you tried it the last time and which car (not all of them are updated with the latest tyre model) rather than dancing around the question?

Why? So that the iRacers can continue the witch hunt of trying to silence/persuade all the dissenters?

No thanks.
iracers think they are uber alles from the day iracing got live nothing new here

i mean i even saw people that plays eurotruck saying that is better than lfs

problem is with or without knowing everyone is comparing lfs to almost every other sim out there and there is a good reason for that no need to go further with fanboys or the ori version of sim players
I'm not the best example of praising iRacing from the day it came live, hence the 2 years break I took from it, it's just not the right time to bash the simulator, cause it's currently at it's best.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG