The online racing simulator
Tristan Cliffe
(124 posts, started )
Quote from BlueFlame :Don't be a faggot. True misogyny is thinking/believing women should be assigned to the kitchen and the bedroom and nothing else.

You are mistaken. Please read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misogyny

Also this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_scotsman

Quote from BlueFlame :
Nobody is stopping her from racing. Or seriously critisizing her driving because shes a women, it's all said in jest with not an ounce of seriousness.

Misogyny is not nullified by taking the form of a "joke", just as with racism or any other form of prejudice. Quite the opposite. It allows people who hold such ideas to express them without consequences, perpetuating a culture in which such ideas are acceptable.
Quote from tristancliffe :I really don't think that it made any difference in the stewards office.

ahem?
Quote from tristancliffe :D) He couldn't say Alice was at fault in case he was accused of sexism, which these days is only marginally better than if he had actually assaulted her.

also what forbin said

also responding to a valid complaint of misogyny with full on homophobia is a true class act
Like I said, and you quoted, I don't really think it made any difference. I don't REALLY think it.
That's awesome you've made it up to that level Tristan, I am as per always still very jealous of you!
Quote from tristancliffe :Like I said, and you quoted, I don't really think it made any difference. I don't REALLY think it.

Unfortunately, that's probably naive (but I suspect you already know that).

These days, anyone in a position of authority is so bloody desperate to prove that they're NOT: (racist, sexist, homophobic, intolerant, blah blah blah blah blah) that normally simple decisions are reassessed through lenses of political and professional insecurity, and I doubt this is any different.

Anyone, even a moron, can see from either video what happened and where the mistake was made. You were expected to back off and make way for the almighty - never mind racing

I don't even know how it can be disputed... it's silly. She said she was past you, yet if that was the case, then you wouldn't have been there to turn in on.

It looked fairly violent though - question: what did that feel like? Did you just pump so full of adrenaline that it was all a blur or did you see her coming down and think "holy shit this isn't going to go well" and involuntarily piss or something?
What went through my mind is quite strange.

I remember thinking "this is going to be close" as she turned.
I recall thinking "now I have to limit the damage"
I remember the wheels locking up, and trying to cadence brake to slow even on the grass with three wheels. And turning the steering to try to turn away from the barrier, but not too much as didn't want to promote understeer.
I remember thinking of my ex-team mate, who had a similar crash earlier in the year, and realising how he must have felt.
I remembered my last crash at Oulton and what damage was done.
I don't remember tensing up, or being scared.
The actual impact wasn't in slow motion. It just happened in an instant, and suddenly all was quiet. I switched off the ignition and climbed out, wondering if I should set the fire extinguisher off.
I don't think any piss came out. Not even a little bit!

All of that happened in about 2 seconds, and there were other feelings and emotions that I don't know how to put into words too.

It didn't really sink in what had happened for several hours. Other drivers said I must have been in shock at the rate I was babbling about it.

Anyway, the pile of bits won't get fixed or replaced by talking about blame or hindsight or anything else. Most people who like racing seem to think it wasn't my fault. Most people who don't like racing seem to think it was. Some exceptions to the above, and some are sticking with 50:50 or racing incident. Either way, I have a squashed car.
I don't really want to correct your driving, nor your train of thought during the accident.

But given the situation you are in, financially, level of racing etc. Wasn't it a bit 'Risky' going up against someone who doesn't have anything what so ever to loose?

Given the limited budget you presumably had since the first thought you had was 'Gonna limit the damage' and not 'Shit I'm not going to win', why didn't you back out when you KNEW it was not your corner?

Don't get me wrong, but, sometimes it helps to think the situation through, You clearly had the speed to take her down, but bad decisions nearly always lead to bad results.
I haven't seen the video, but sounds like one driver was driving like they don't pay for it. I guess that is what they were counting on - you thinking "I can't afford to pay for this" and backing out.
-
(Takumi_lfs) DELETED by Scawen
@Dennis: Maybe. You know as well as me that it's all split second stuff.

I felt I had the corner, I felt she had room to try to swing round the outside. By the first apex (which you normally miss by a car's width to help get the second apex and be on the power) I had pretty much conceded that she would get round me, but even the braking on these cars can't make me disappear.

Of course, with hindsight, I'd have done things differently. So would she, I'm sure. I'd have backed out of it at 300m, and she would have gone to the inside or left more room at the apex. I didn't have hindsight at the time.

Then again, I had to beat her, and she just needed points. So perhaps she should have thought "will be be a push over or will he try to fight the corner a bit"...

Meh. There is no absolute, objective answer as to whose fault it was or who should have done what.
Attached images
2013-09-10 10.28.19.jpg
2013-09-10 10.28.22.jpg
2013-09-10 10.28.30.jpg
2013-09-10 10.28.39.jpg
Made up some diagrams, using overhead schematic of 2006 car. Minor variations in track width and wheelbase etc, but good enough. Used trackside photos, both onboards and my own memory.

I am in the bottom left of each one. The blue area is the approximate field of view of the camera. The yellow line is the line of sight with my helmet in the way on the straight (when you first see her wheel prior to the corner). The green line is from the camera to the 'spike' in front of the cockpit, which is when we first see her car at the moment of impact.

Before the corner she was about half a meter away from me (based on her video and trackside photos), which means my front wing was almost exactly level with the middle of her car.

If she had been 'clearly ahead' then she would have needed to be over a car's width away from me, which she wasn't (and couldn't have been, because I was still very much left of the centreline of the track).

At the moment of contact, my front wheel is is still ahead of her rear wheel.

Doesn't change anything, but that's how I felt it went.
Attached images
Before Corner.jpg
If Ahead.jpg
Contact.jpg
Chassis damage ?
-
Hey, at least the wheel-to-wheel contact didn't cause an even bigger accident than what it was...
-
Seriously guys? 3 pages of pointless baffle about one woman driver?

Not at all, Dennis. If I'd like to get some attention, like you, I'd be forum whore, like you yet again
Awww, Karl, need some attention?
Quote from Dennis93 :Chassis damage ?

Slight 'dent' near a barge board fixing, but it hasn't delaminated and isn't close to suspension pick ups. Engine mounts still good. So a bit of glue in the 'dent' and it'll be good to go. Lucky in that respect.
Quote from tristancliffe :Slight 'dent' near a barge board fixing, but it hasn't delaminated and isn't close to suspension pick ups. Engine mounts still good. So a bit of glue in the 'dent' and it'll be good to go. Lucky in that respect.

Yeah, If it monocoque was busted it's quite much 'over'...

So good for you the damage wasn't bigger.
Tristan, if you don't mind me asking, what do you do with the broken/dented up bits of the car?

Just something I've always wondered because I can't imagine fancy bits of carbon fiber going into the trash.
Quote from Rappa Z :Tristan, if you don't mind me asking, what do you do with the broken/dented up bits of the car?

Just something I've always wondered because I can't imagine fancy bits of carbon fiber going into the trash.

Fixing broken Carbon is like trying to make a ripped paper whole again...
Quote from TypeRacing :Seriously guys? 3 pages of pointless baffle about one woman driver?

Not at all, Dennis. If I'd like to get some attention, like you, I'd be forum whore, like you yet again

You have exactly the same average posts per day so your forum whore comment is invalid
Nice racing
Hi Tristan, i watch u race today at brands hatch gp circuit and it was very good to see you pass for first place and plus you got or broke the lap record for that class.best time. very impresive, wish i was in ur shoes. By the way motors tv uk was broadcasting that race, And its good to see an lfs member racing as good as u do.
I would like to no how close lfs is to real life racing cars, physics the way the cars drive. If u dont mind
Quote from jjones :Hi Tristan, i watch u race today at brands hatch gp circuit and it was very good to see you pass for first place and plus you got or broke the lap record for that class.best time. very impresive, wish i was in ur shoes. By the way motors tv uk was broadcasting that race, And its good to see an lfs member racing as good as u do.
I would like to no how close lfs is to real life racing cars, physics the way the cars drive. If u dont mind

Thanks for the comment. I don't get MotorsTV myself, so I have to wait for it to appear on YouTube. So I haven't seen the footage, but I obviously remember the race and that pass! Car felt amazing that day, and I felt untouchable. Doesn't happen often!

Home simulators obviously lack some things - FFB is limited, and there is no seat of the pants feel, but how a car responds to inputs, setup changes and stuff is pretty good in LFS. The best physics of a released sim remain netKar Pro in my opinion, with LFS a close second. I haven't played iRacing in over 12 month, but it was pretty awful last time I did. PCARS was initially promising, but seems to have lost its way recently with far too much effort on bling. Assetto Corsa could be the new king. Suspect an Oculus Rift will be the next must-have accessory, but I haven't used one yet either.

Sims are great, and a million times cheaper than real racing, and the skills you learn in a sim are directly transferable to reality. It's just reality has a few extra things to throw at you.

Silverstone should be next on MotorsTV in a few weeks, where I won both races. And then Snetterton where I had my crash. Next weekend is a race at Donington, and I'm working hard to fix the substantial damage received at Snett.
Thanks for comments, look forward to ur next race

Quote from tristancliffe :Thanks for the comment. I don't get MotorsTV myself, so I have to wait for it to appear on YouTube. So I haven't seen the footage, but I obviously remember the race and that pass! Car felt amazing that day, and I felt untouchable. Doesn't happen often!

Home simulators obviously lack some things - FFB is limited, and there is no seat of the pants feel, but how a car responds to inputs, setup changes and stuff is pretty good in LFS. The best physics of a released sim remain netKar Pro in my opinion, with LFS a close second. I haven't played iRacing in over 12 month, but it was pretty awful last time I did. PCARS was initially promising, but seems to have lost its way recently with far too much effort on bling. Assetto Corsa could be the new king. Suspect an Oculus Rift will be the next must-have accessory, but I haven't used one yet either.

Sims are great, and a million times cheaper than real racing, and the skills you learn in a sim are directly transferable to reality. It's just reality has a few extra things to throw at you.

Silverstone should be next on MotorsTV in a few weeks, where I won both races. And then Snetterton where I had my crash. Next weekend is a race at Donington, and I'm working hard to fix the substantial damage received at Snett.

so you're currently running your old car?
At the moment still pushing to get my own car fixed. Last years car is now he property of my team rather than me personally, so don't want to wreck that. Would rather have a driver in it next year. But it is an option if I don't manage to fix everything in time.

I have a very long to do list at the moment, but getting through it. Waiting for suspension, painting , the floor of the car, and a rear wing.

Tristan Cliffe
(124 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG