The online racing simulator
Speed limiter stalls engine
(7 posts, started )
Ok, one weird thing about speed limiter (GTR cars or any other speed limiter enabled car).

Drive to over 100km/h. Engage speed limiter AND CLUTCH. Hold clutch. Doesn't matter what gear, car will coast, engine will go down in rpms, until it STALLS.

I have no idea if this is normal behavior for real racing cars, but to me it seems very strange that a speed limiter would override even the minimum gas applied so the engine keeps it's minimum revs.

This is similar to driving in pits on full gas and hitting clutch. The engine refuses to rev up which is annoying, the speed limiter PREDICTS the needed gas to reach speed limit and cuts off the throttle in advance.
Again, seems LFS weird specific.

Can we have cars not stall because engine refuses to give it minimum gas?
Also you can step on gas while being on speed limiter doing over 80km/h and holding the clutch, no gas will be applied at all. And not even the minimum so the engine stalls.
Quote from JackCY :Ok, one weird thing about speed limiter (GTR cars or any other speed limiter enabled car).

Drive to over 100km/h. Engage speed limiter AND CLUTCH. Hold clutch. Doesn't matter what gear, car will coast, engine will go down in rpms, until it STALLS.

Can we have cars not stall because engine refuses to give it minimum gas?
Also you can step on gas while being on speed limiter doing over 80km/h and holding the clutch, no gas will be applied at all. And not even the minimum so the engine stalls.

Confirming that,
Quote from JackCY :
This is similar to driving in pits on full gas and hitting clutch. The engine refuses to rev up which is annoying, the speed limiter PREDICTS the needed gas to reach speed limit and cuts off the throttle in advance.
Again, seems LFS weird specific.

AFAIK in some categories the pit limiter is set to certain RPM and not to a speed measured in km/h, so...LFS would not be wrong on those cars.
Because you are going over the limiter, it is trying to slow the car down by cutting the gas. When you disengage the clutch, you are cutting the connection from the turning wheels to the engine which causes the car to stall since there is no gas being supplied from being over the limiter.

I am not sure about how these work in real racing cars but this is how it works in LFS apparently.
Quote from edge3147 :Because you are going over the limiter, it is trying to slow the car down by cutting the gas. When you disengage the clutch, you are cutting the connection from the turning wheels to the engine which causes the car to stall since there is no gas being supplied from being over the limiter.

I am not sure about how these work in real racing cars but this is how it works in LFS apparently.

Yes and I think it works pretty badly in LFS.

Is there a proper bug tracker for LFS?
Or is it so closed software it does not have a public bug tracker?
Quote from JackCY :Yes and I think it works pretty badly in LFS.

Is there a proper bug tracker for LFS?
Or is it so closed software it does not have a public bug tracker?

The only "bug tracker" has always been this forum section and the developers have been using it. While a proper bug tracker wouldn't be a bad idea, I don't see a major problem in having each bug as a forum thread.
Quote :Because you are going over the limiter, it is trying to slow the car down by cutting the gas. When you disengage the clutch, you are cutting the connection from the turning wheels to the engine which causes the car to stall since there is no gas being supplied from being over the limiter.

I am not sure about how these work in real racing cars but this is how it works in LFS apparentl

I'm not sure either, but it makes sense that they would be implemented this way both in LFS and IRL (and therefore wouldn't be a bug). Check if the car is above the pit speed limit. If it is, stop fuel injection - reduce engine speed to try and reduce car speed. Check again and loop. If you're holding the clutch, the car will reduce engine speed until it stalls.

IMO, doesn't make sense to do a speed limiter off RPM (or it would be more complicated). What if you are in 5th gear travelling down pit road? The 7000 rev limit for 1st gear isn't going to cut it.

(7 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG