The online racing simulator
stop ppl from exitin out in2 race traffic
Sum light or sumthing needs 2 b made,2 either stop ppl or warn them that race traffic is cumin.. It's bullshit the amount of dickheads that just cum flyin out of the pits..

Thanks 4 the reply's...As per normal 1/2 way in2 the thread they've gone off topic.

Is it just so hard-basket 4 sum ppl.. ..As far as im concerned if im hostin a game &/or a TS sever.. NE1 who cums flyin outta pits on ICE COLD TYRES in front of ne racers will b ban straight away.I hav no time 4 racers who dont give a shit bout the other ppl they racin with.

Thanx Gener AL (UK),I'll giv that a try.
#2 - Calum
suppose
I suppose this is true , but ...

Most normal , good drivers use the map function to check if traffic is arriving behind them , coupled with the mirrors and relying on the Blue Flag system to help as well.

I completly understand , I know there are people that come out , cross the entry/exit line just to get out to turn the next corner easier , but , you gotta wonder if the light system or something would help , because its not like they dont know , because even if there isnt traffic coming , they shouldnt be going out across the line in the first place. Same for when actually leaving the pit lane , after the line , caution should be used , it just depends on the driver whether they use it or not ( which is a shame really , as its dangerous and unrealistic ).

Calum
I've once suggested a penalty for crossing the yellow line, might not be exactly a solution for your problem but it may be a start.
#4 - Calum
thats the stuff ^
You can use server helpers cant you??? Isn't there something you can download which says if somebody is coming up etc??
#6 - joen
That would be nice. Like a team that warns/reminds a driver not to cross the exit line or warn a driver is coming up on the straight in real life races.
Not that i think it should be needed, because it's really not that hard to check your mirrors , look left/right and use the map.
or if you have admin access to server or are hosting your own set /midrace no

this will stop the usual nonsense but can be frustrating if its a long race and you join late , but still should help somewhat.

/midrace=yes X :no / yes (Join during race)
I check the mini map and if its clear I ignore the line completely, if the track isnt clear it depends on the event: Arrive & Crash races I stop completely and wait - it's not like you can win when youve had a pit stop in a 5 lap race; League or scheduled stops I use racing rules by sticking to the line.

Some tracks the pit lines are not well considered, they are too narrow in places (SO Long Rev exit) too short on some tracks, and some the exit is on the race line and bound to cause accidents without a flag marshall.

In many of the series i've raced in over the years there's a blue flag marshall on the pit exit and he doubles up as the flag marshall for letting you onto the track, except skipping that particular blue is either an instant black flag or a trip to the hospital. I've seen a pit lane exit crash in a kart race, the speed differential is phenomenal and my friend (who was at full race speed) broke several bones in his upper body and left half his crash helmet scraped across the track surface.

Common sense dictates that you dont pull out infront of somebody travelling at over 100mph. LFS-sense says "who gives a foxtrot? It's like space invaders with a wheel right?"
When I've raced in public servers and people come out the pits within the lines, I've seen others run into them, that person instantly jumps on the kick or ban button and shouting all sorts of abuse. Can't understand why people think that the person that's exiting the pits must jump on the brakes and let them take that line, in the end if someone's exiting the pits within the lines they have the right to be there. Just the other day there in league race I came out the pits just in front of 1st place and still put up a fight into T1, it's all about respecting other drivers and leaving room.

Personally if I've done a mid-race join I'll hang fire and find a gap but if I've done a pitstop for some reason during the race I'll sure as hell not be jumping out anyones way.

Keiran
You ever notice in threads started like this, there is no one posting " I don't care! I'll still run out in front of you!" Because the majority of us on the forum are the cream of the crop of LFS. We are the ones who DO care. The ones who don't care don't read the forum and could care less whether there is a light or not. They will still run out in front of you.

I don't think a penalty for crossing the line is a solution to this particular problem either. Just look at how many midrace join and run out of pit road getting a penalty. Do they care? No, they are just coming out to run laps. They are not racing anyone. I do like the idea of the penalty for crossing the line as an actual racing function, but those who pit in the race do have the right to exit pit road and try to beat you out. Care and caution should be taking place where they don't just run out straight into oncoming cars, but they do have the right to pull out. They are still in the race.

I have a chat bind that says "caution exiting pit road, leaders are coming!" from my days of watching the CRC demo server. You would think that would warn folks to, well, take caution, but they still run out into you. Nothing will stop this other than disabling midrace join or good adminning.
we need one of those on the pit lane exit>
opening only when there are no cars approaching
LOL

That would be funny, put the dinging sound in with it too

I have no idea what else to do about this. I dislike non-midrace join servers. If I end up on one, I just leave. But then I have the sense like Mike pointed out most people on here have - to WAIT. Invariably I wait for the pack to go by before going out there (or a really big gap at least). This way I can get a few warm up laps in before starting the next race. If I have to start somewhere in the pack without warming up a bit I think that's silly.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :LOL
I have no idea what else to do about this. I dislike non-midrace join servers. If I end up on one, I just leave. But then I have the sense like Mike pointed out most people on here have - to WAIT. Invariably I wait for the pack to go by before going out there (or a really big gap at least). This way I can get a few warm up laps in before starting the next race. If I have to start somewhere in the pack without warming up a bit I think that's silly.

I feel the same way, I like the idea of having warmup laps before a race, I hate starting a race without any laps in for that day. There really is no clear way to solve this because this is a driver issue, not a game issue. I say training mission =P

OT: create licenses that you would have to complete certian training missions for you to race on certian servers. No idea on how to implement this, because eventually all servers would have the liscense status set to max and everyone would then have to go through training missions (yuck!!)
I'm working on a race license system which I hope to get fired up in a month or so after i've moved house and have broadband back so I can run a server, i'm still undecided what to do about running it 24/7 though. There's enough empty servers out there already and I just cannot be around to administer it all the time. Where the license system comes in is for league events - which if I get enough interested players should make for good clean racing.

The downside is for the top events i'm going to sit there as a dedicated admin in order to provide the level or scrutiny needed for a major race, which isn't really what I want to do with my LFS time, but if it works out maybe the admin team could expand and I could take part myself ocassionally (license permitting of course!)

Here's the details: http://www.bansheestudios.com/Motor%20Racing/Licenses.html

There's more info there on the two sets of regulations (club level & GP level) and when i've finished writing the license administration software i'll revise the page a little and explain how it will work more fully.

Anyway it doesn't answer any prayers here, but basically you can expect the cleanest driver to get the odd small license endorsement - we all make mistakes after all, but the point of what i'm trying to do is provide good racing for those who make the grade and leave the rest either at the club level or racing elsewhere.

EDIT: I suppose I could make it a 24/7 server with a password entry that is only shown to drivers who have achieved a certain license level? No admin, but you're guaranteed the drivers present will be a cut above. Provided the server is running a combo you'd find interesting. I guess it would need to change daily.
becky,

great idea, very similar to what the nascar2003 game used for online racing.

i put it in another thread somewhere.

basically, if you drove like a moron you never got a decent score, 1 being lowest, 10 highest.

most decent drivers were around the 4-6 mark, so when you joined a server and it said only drivers over 3 could join, and you were a 1 because you wrecked, you didnt race!

hope you idea works out.
#16 - Vain
Quote from Becky Rose :I suppose I could make it a 24/7 server with a password entry that is only shown to drivers who have achieved a certain license level? No admin, but you're guaranteed the drivers present will be a cut above.

You mean like the old CRC idea?

Vain
I have no idea about CRC. My license system is mostly focused around events, but where that leaves a question mark is what to do with the server when it isn't being used for events. I dont want to be a perma-admin, I cant be.
#18 - Vain
Just have it run the next combination for the league. It's always problematic to find exactly that combination with only those cars unless the league didn't put up a specific server for it. When such a server is there and public, with an obvious name, it's a great meeting point for the league-members to practice together, exchange setups and get to know the overtaking-spots.

Vain
#19 - Woz
The answer is simple...... hardcore/race mode

No mid race joins.
No jump to pits.
No car reset.
New retire from race button.
No race restart, only race end and only from people IN the race.
etc

Noobs and wreckers will want to spend time on normal servers because of the rules on this sort of server.

No admin required etc, automatic CRC server in a way.
Becky, what happens when the server is empty. Someone joins races on his own. He could in theory skip through all the licences without having to race anyone?
Quote from Woz :The answer is simple...... hardcore/race mode
No mid race joins.
No jump to pits.
No car reset.
etc

+1

No mid race joins.
No jump to pits.
No car reset.
etc

Noobs and wreckers will want to spend time on normal servers because of the rules on this sort of server.

No admin required etc, automatic CRC server in a way.

Pretty much everything you've said there can be set by the admins and you know why it isn't ?

People can rave about a "hardcore" mode but in the end it will be rarely used, maybe league races but that's about it. People will get fed up and leave the server = empty server. The reason LFS online is so popular is because you can pick a server and go which no other racing game has managed. Start adding annoyances then people will get fed up. The argument of they don't have to use the mode is no good either because you're splintering the community.

nK has a "hardcore mode" and no server I've been on uses it because it annoys you rather than make it fun.

Personally I feel that there is no need, very rarely do I come across a problem on public servers and if I do I'll usually just tell the person to be more careful if it was there fault. We are racing against each other, what do you except to happen ? A hardcode mode will never stop accidents nor prevent them, it's all part of racing - happens in real life and happens in games. The biggest difference being that in real life you have to acquire a racing license.

People can only learn one way, trial and error. When you make a mistake you learn from that mistake and usually improve yourself. You have to remember you are racing 1000s of different people, so your bound to come across someone who is still learning or struggling.

Just my 2 cents

Keiran
Quote :Becky, what happens when the server is empty. Someone joins races on his own. He could in theory skip through all the licences without having to race anyone?

Aha, I spy a man who doesn't like reading external websites...

Not at all, license stamps are to be awarded for special events only and not for general arrive & crash play.

All events will have a stewards enquiry procedure to endorse penalties, most mid and top end events will have automatic viewing of races from numerous angles by a clerk (usually me) to automatically apply penalties and license endorcements, aswell as an appeal system. club level events wont be quite so heavily adminned (just a quick check of the replay to spot the obvious stuff) and will rely on player reporting followed by admin checking.

I'm currently coding the license management system which will include all the sign on, appeals procedures, and general administration tools necessary.
becky, your league looks like a great system, I'm hoping to be able to sign up for the GTi series
#25 - Goop

No mid race joins.
No jump to pits.
No car reset.
etc

I'd race there

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG