The online racing simulator
Frankys PC upgrade[need help]
(42 posts, started )
ok to stop cluttering up ac thread i made this.

i need a good mid range pc to run ac or any other games. but money is something i cant just throw around

looking to build from scratch. or upgrade. so far my cpu is real bad and my gfx card is outdated.

whats good cpu for cheap budget?
#2 - Hahmo
If you can run lfs high settings 70-100 FPS I don't think CPU is your main problem here.. Radeon 7700 was suggested for GFX, I have it and I can run AC smoothly and other games work perfectly aswell, like BF3 on high settings.
Quote from Hahmo :If you can run lfs high settings 70-100 FPS I don't think CPU is your main problem here.. Radeon 7700 was suggested for GFX, I have it and I can run AC smoothly and other games work perfectly aswell, like BF3 on high settings.

my cpu is a AMD Athlon 64 3400+ with 2G DDR ram. ofc its the cpu.

thats why i must upgrade that also . but i dont know much about this area.
define cheap
It all depends on your budget you know the gtx460 was good when i bought it but seems very expensive now.

What is the complete spec you have right now, maybe something can be reused
Quote from Franky.S :
thats why i must upgrade that also

Talking about upgrading while you don't even mention your current situation and planned budget. Excellent startpost.
Quote from JazzOn :It all depends on your budget you know the gtx460 was good when i bought it but seems very expensive now.

What is the complete spec you have right now, maybe something can be reused

budget im not sure about cpu prices tbh. maybe 300-500 euro on all of it?

heres my complete spec.
Attached images
mypc.jpg
I guess you PSU isnt good anymore either.

I stumbled over a good recommendation a few days ago on youtube. It was an AMD built and incl case 500 € but i cant find it anymore.

However, another question is probably what you wanmt to play. Nvidias have physx support which comes in handy to take some load from the cpu on certain games. On the other hand amd are know to perform better in relation to the price. For sims an AMD system would be recommended i guess.

Edit: not the one i've seen but this mention the GTX 660 ti and that card should be able to last for a while. Mabye look around on youtube for a while and then look for benchmarks

´http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2u9HYYAFfM
assuming you have a decent enough power supply (kinda doubt it but anyway) heres a rough idea of what should be a good build slightly over budget

i5 3570k ~193€
cheap z77 mainboard ~75€
2*4gb 1600mhz ram kit ~35€
amd 7850 ~140€
samsung 840 120gb ~82€

if you drop the 7850 to a 7770ghz you should come out ~20-30€ udner 500 which could allow you to get a cpu fan that wont drive you mad
Quote from Shotglass :
i5 3570k ~193€

would he even need a gfx card since the i5 an integrated dx11 gpu chip got?
Quote from JazzOn :I guess you PSU isnt good anymore either.

I stumbled over a good recommendation a few days ago on youtube. It was an AMD built and incl case 500 € but i cant find it anymore.

However, another question is probably what you wanmt to play. Nvidias have physx support which comes in handy to take some load from the cpu on certain games. On the other hand amd are know to perform better in relation to the price. For sims an AMD system would be recommended i guess.

Edit: not the one i've seen but this mention the GTX 660 ti and that card should be able to last for a while. Mabye look around on youtube for a while and then look for benchmarks

´http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2u9HYYAFfM

wow thanks. i will take note of this. is the 350 euro build reccomended?
Quote from Matrixi :I said used, it's a previous generation card now. They go for around 120 in Finland atleast.

ok my mistake. i will see what i can find.
the first cpu is a single core, you dont want that and sempron isnt made for gaming. The second seems good but the one mentioned in the video i posted is a 6 core instead of 4 and aeound the same money
at least

E: Basically what you want to look for is ddr3 memory, a videocard with at least 1g ddr5 mem, a quad core with 3ghz + (at least ) motherboard that goes with it and a 500 to 600w psu (depending on what power the parts consume but with a single gpu card, 500w should always be alright)
Quote from JazzOn :the first cpu is a single core, you dont want that and sempron isnt made for gaming. The second seems good but the one mentioned in the video i posted is a 6 core instead of 4 and aeound the same money
at least

E: Basically what you want to look for is ddr3 memory, a videocard with at least 1g ddr5 mem, a quad core with 3ghz + (at least ) motherboard that goes with it and a 500 to 600w psu (depending on what power the parts consume but with a single gpu card, 500w should always be alright)

ok. is there any reccomnded motherboards? or doesnt it matter which one i get?
If you plan to overclock it must be able to handle the stress, theres no way around some reading abozt that. If you know what cpu u'll get you need to make sure the socket the same on the motherboard. If you want to use your old HDD and DVd drive, which is connected with that large 40pin ide/pata, the mobo needs it too, but I dont think newer boards still have it. Standard today is SATA which can be as fast as 6GB/s or so
Is overclocking still hot these days? I thought it was something from the beginning of the century. I don't get these people who are still busy with achieving 10% better results at all costs.

Quote from JazzOn :but I dont think newer boards still have it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Moth ... s&hash=item19cfe51ef6

This one has.

I think it will always be something... 20 fps can make a difference... 4Ghz or 5Ghz. 4 x 1Ghz+ is something, you know. Watercoolingsystems become better and less expensive.

Although in the end its just a thing to have fun, really
Quote from cargame.nl :Is overclocking still hot these days? I thought it was something from the beginning of the century. I don't get these people who are still busy with achieving 10% better results at all costs.

More now than ever. It's not unheard of to get 30-35% more power out of a GPU on air with the original cooler these days, for no extra cost. That adds up to a lot of performance if your CPU is up for the job.

GTX 670 and 680 are absolute screamers on something like Asus DirectCU air coolers.
Quote from JazzOn :Although in the end its just a thing to have fun

Probably I'm too old for that, different discussion.

Anyway it was about low cost upgrades, lots of easy to do combinations possible. I'd say, go for it.
Quote from Franky.S :my cpu is a AMD Athlon 64 3400+

that is your problem right there. amd. my dad had amd sempron 1800+ AM2 so i said well lets upgrade a bit its too slow. so i bought a 6000+ and its same crap. lfs world got a little better on the same low settings..

Anyway. i told you 2 years before if u upgrade,u build a new pc. coz when u want better cpu,now u need another mobo,that makes it u need new memories and so on. sell that crap pc and build a new one for your price range. even used parts from ebay that takes back parts in 2 weeks to a month if rma are good.

EDIT: Found a system for cheap. PC
Quote from JazzOn :would he even need a gfx card since the i5 an integrated dx11 gpu chip got?

are you serious? yes of course he needs a proper graphics card or games the intel stuff is horribly slow for anythign serious
psshhhh, of course not, dont be silly... I'm a professional >>

(42 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG