The online racing simulator
LFS is still the best!
(19 posts, started )
#1 - och
LFS is still the best!
So I spent most of the holidays playing old and new racing games and testing out my new Logitech G27 playseat combo, including LFS and most of its main competitions. These some of the games that I've played.

Almost all of the ISImotor/Gmotor based games - rFactor, GT Legends, GTR2, Race07 with a bunch of expansions. These are pretty old, considerably older than latest LFS, and it shows in every possible way. Graphics, sounds are very dated. They have a lot of (repetitive) content, and even more with mods (most of which are mediocre) but cars just don't feel natural, handling and grip seems fake, you dont seem to have the feeling of tires, suspension and forces working in collaboration with each other. No 900 degree steering animations either. I even tried Simbins latest Raceroom experience teaser which is supposedly using a new engine, and if anything it feels even worse than their previous games. Not impressed. I wanted to try rFactor 2, but didn't want to spend the money. I have a feeling that ISI or simbin aren't very capable without their core team that is now known as SMS. These games are direct competitors to LFS, and asides greater number of cars/tracks there is very little reason to bother playing them.

Codemasters GRID, Dirt 3, and F1 2012. Codemasters have been making racing games for a long, long time - I still remember playing TOCA2 back in the late 90ies, and even then it was a much better sim than ISI's first game - Sports Car GT. Original Colin McRae rally was also an amazing game for its time. Unfortunately Codemasters future attempts took direction towards arcade rather than sim. And yet, with GRID, Dirt 2/3 and F1 series they made games that are good mixture of arcade and sim, with amazing graphics, jaw dropping tracks, and great fun. Nowhere near the sim like LFS, certainly not in the same category, but well worth playing. Unfortunately their upcoming games might not be as good. Dirt showdown is pure arcade, GRID 2 will not have dashboard view.

SMS games - Shift 1/2, TD: Ferrari. These are all great games. Closely related to the gMotor games, but updates, polished, with much improved graphics and proportions, tons of cars and tracks. Definitely worth playing, but don't expect them to be the same level of sim as LFS, they are "simcade". I also tried SMS latest pCARs, which is supposed to be more of a simulation. It has potential but right not its just way too unfinished. Menu system is buggy and confusing, game has serious performance issues even on a powerful PC, and the only cars available are obnoxiously fast purpose built race cars that are hard to control.

Biggest surprise... I got a 3 month subscription for the very hyped up iRacing. This game is widely regarded as the ultimate, most realistic race sim out there. It is made by the same guys that were once Papyrus, and were responsible for game series such as IndyCar racing, Nascar Racing, and Grand Prix Legends. Even though I'm probably in the minority here, but I never found Papyrus games to be very good. I though ISI's Nascar Thunder was better then Papyrus Nascar, and I don't even like ISI games all that much... or Nascar. This is what I have observed so far in the game.
1) The graphics are lame. No better than LFS. Granted, this is not very important for a racing sim, but a lot of people kick LFS for its dated graphics.
2) Propotions just look wrong. When you're sitting inside the car, it appears as if your car is the width of the entire track. Its very difficult to judge the distance - how close you are to the car next to you, how close you are to the edge of the track, etc. On the contrary, in LFS proportions are done just right, better than any other game.
3) No 900 degree steering animations! The game reacts to 900 degree input, but in car animations are limited to 360 degrees. This is just pathetic.
4) Poor force feedback, feels very unnatural and artificial.
5) No feeling of speed. This is a problem that haunted even the original Nascar game. Your engine can be screaming, car accelerating at very fast rate, you could be going close to 200mph, but if you shut off the sound and don't look at the speedo, just look at the road ahead of you - it doesn't feel that you are going fast or accelerating fast at all.
6) Physics don't feel anywhere as natural as LFS either. With LFS you know when you are pushing your car to the limit, and with iRacing you get no feedback at all, very little warning before you lose control.

This is why I simply love LFS. I've been playing it since 2003 and I'm never getting bored of it. It doesn't have much content, but it has great variety. Theres every type of car from a slow street car to F1 car, and you can adjust almost every setting, and with unofficial addons you can simulate almost every type of vehicle out there, from Nascar to Tractor. Tracks are limited but also have great variety, from drag to offroad. And the physics, the menus, the controls, the driving feel are just so excellent. Keep up the good work guys!
try Netkar Pro. It's probably the only other sim that feels nice like LFS does.

I do echo your sentiment. Lately I've gotten more and more back into playing with LFS. Doing a few races here and there. And the love is still there. As slow as I am, LFS still feels "right".
rFactor/userdata/[your name]/controller.ini

Steering Wheel Range="900" // Degrees of rotation of in-game steering wheel

problely the same for the other gmotor games.
Right, good side of LFS is you'll never get bored !
#6 - Stutt
Quote from dawesdust_12 :try Netkar Pro. It's probably the only other sim that feels nice like LFS does.

I do echo your sentiment. Lately I've gotten more and more back into playing with LFS. Doing a few races here and there. And the love is still there. As slow as I am, LFS still feels "right".

Agreed. The netkar PRO is the only one with this feeling (maybe HistoricX from rFactor, when very well configured).

LFS is really unique and gives great fun even now, almost a decade after its launch.
Your personal synthesis describes pretty much my very own opinion as well. The only part where I would beg to differ, or comment on, is Simbins STCC2-title. I do not know if that was included in your test of "Race07 with bunch of expansions" or not.

The STCC2 expansion is quite good in its simulation of Swedish tracks and it's cars when doing short races. Less good when it comes to long races and tyre wear appears a little off. I say this with a little background from some real racing with the Volvo C30 at a couple of those tracks. I still get surprised when entering Race07+STCC2 and take off in my Volvo. Very rewarding.

Just another view on that particular title.
Otherwise, yes, LFS is the one I keep coming back to!
I played a lot of racing games..... arcade, kart, and sim racing, and only thing I can say no other game gives so much like LFS does.... it is still the best racing game out there..... waiting for S3 )
#9 - RadEd
I have to agree too, I bought rFactor 2 at launch of the beta and have played most of the ISI gMotor based titles and some of the more common mods but they all seem to lack something in the physics compared to LFS.

I think perhaps a bit too much emphasis is put on tire physics in sim racing although by no means is it not important. I feel once you have the tires simulated well the next layer is suspension geometry and basic inertias of the car body; this is what I feel LFS does better than the rest. Just watch some replays or youtube videos and see how natural the cars lean and skip over curbs etc. all other sims I've tried look very rigid and smoothed/filtered in comparison.

LFS cars appear to have convincing weight, momentum and flex in the suspension that all comes together to make it just right.

Anyone else feel the same?
even netkar pro isn't better than LFS, well, very closely yes, but LFS is slightly better, slightly but better.

My opinion, and I tested that @ my friend
I'm waiting for Asseto Corsa.. Damn, that's gonna be fun
In my opinion, NetKar Pro has the best physics at least in the Formula cars I've tried, compared to the formula cars in LFS. But its a shame most of the tracks (that you download) are very bad and outdated. The Formula Renault in NetKar Pro feels quite like the real one. The FOX simply doesnt

Otherwise though, in general, I still stick to LFS, but I also use NetKar Pro when preparing for in real life races, as long as it has some decent version of the tracks I will race at in real life.

But LFS is in my opinion the best total sim out there. The physics are good - but it needs the new tyre physics. The feel you get in LFS is just... natural. It feels good. But those tires needs to be worked at, and well... they are! With the new tire physics and some new, updated tracks and cars, I am sure LFS will really show that its the best sim out there. We'll have to wait... and wait... and wait... and wait... and... (guess what!) wait... to see when it comes out, if it ever does! But if it does, I am almost sure it will be fantastic.
yes
I love LFS, really.

But rFactor2 is superior in TM/FFB and in Graphics.
NetkarPro is also beyond LFS in TM/FFB.

rFactor1 is descent with Leo Bodnar FFB plugin, and hours spent in .ini files ( hate that )

iRacing, graphicly it's superior than LFS, if you compare with correct FOV setting in both simulation, their new TM sucks in feeling and FFB.
Also it's really too much expensive.

LFS would be as good as rFactor2 with the New TM.

Meanwhile Assetto Corsa will be out.
I like Real Racing 2 more than LFS!
Quote from rockclan :Ga dat dan spelen en vlieg op.

Ik wacht op Real Racing 3!
Ik speel lfs alleen als ik me dood verveel!

===============================
I waiting for Real Racing 3!
I play lfs only when I get bored!
Quote from och :
DIRT

I think the first Dirt does a lot of things quite right. The FFB is good, the sounds are brilliant, and the sense of motion is ok too. But the rest is a bit , especially the tracks. While I love the hill climb tracks (Pikes Peak :lovies3d I think the rally stages get quite repetetive. Pretty sure some corner combinations are used on multiple tracks.

Quote from och :

1) The graphics are lame. No better than LFS. Granted, this is not very important for a racing sim, but a lot of people kick LFS for its dated graphics.
2) Propotions just look wrong. When you're sitting inside the car, it appears as if your car is the width of the entire track. Its very difficult to judge the distance - how close you are to the car next to you, how close you are to the edge of the track, etc. On the contrary, in LFS proportions are done just right, better than any other game.
3) No 900 degree steering animations! The game reacts to 900 degree input, but in car animations are limited to 360 degrees. This is just pathetic.
4) Poor force feedback, feels very unnatural and artificial.
5) No feeling of speed. This is a problem that haunted even the original Nascar game. Your engine can be screaming, car accelerating at very fast rate, you could be going close to 200mph, but if you shut off the sound and don't look at the speedo, just look at the road ahead of you - it doesn't feel that you are going fast or accelerating fast at all.
6) Physics don't feel anywhere as natural as LFS either. With LFS you know when you are pushing your car to the limit, and with iRacing you get no feedback at all, very little warning before you lose control.

1) Nah, graphics are better. everything uses more polys and high res textures, try comparing it to a bone stock LFS install.

2) and 5) agree completly. Had a go at a friends with his Fanatec Clubsport, and found myself unable to judge speed correctly. First time I used brake markers to get my braking right in a game.

4) and 6) yes it feels weird. The Ford GT and the MP12 feel almost like FWD cars, understeery, and then you get sudden oversteer. May be down to car setups tho.

And what about those stupid big daddy features? "Your car is damaged, please reset", "You cut a corner, please drive slower for a sec", even in training mode. Aint no NFS Shift.

IRacings big plus is the enormous user base. You can find races for all car and track combinations.

LFS is still the best!
(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG