The online racing simulator
Test Patch B8, no timeout after 550 seconds.
I'm at [CLC] cruise right now, with latest B8 patch, and there still is something wrong with other players time out.

As you can see on the picture car has more than 200seconds lag:
http://imageshack.us/a/img253/794/lagy.jpg
Player name: kdo

(at posting moment it's 600s )
Edit: after almost 1000s he got kicked out by admin
I'm not 100% sure, but I think I've already seen the same bug on one(or several) of the previous stable versions.
I've seen it before as well. They usually time out after ages or appear elsewhere on track (the person lagging will be driving on normally).
It may be that only his UDP packets (car position packets) were failing to arrive at the host, but the game connection packets were arriving correctly so there was no timeout. The guest connection info packet that will be added for B9 will help with this. You'll have lag bars to look at again so you have more sense of what's going on.
That's actually great Scawen. There could also be another reason, in case that position packets arrive, but their timestamp is constantly > 0.5 seconds behind the host (or the client showing the other car, dunno). From my observations, when the ping number goes above 0.5, the car is shown as seen in the image.
#6 - kdo
Hi, That is me on the screen. I checked the firewall and it seem working normaly. When i connect to [CLC] sometime i can't see anyone LAG 100sec max and it goes out. The insim work but the car doesnt.
Sorry for my english.
Quote from kdo :Hi, That is me on the screen. I checked the firewall and it seem working normaly. When i connect to [CLC] sometime i can't see anyone LAG 100sec max and it goes out. The insim work but the car doesnt.
Sorry for my english.

this has happened to me when my net is just generally lagging a rejoin usually fixes it but it could be a test patch issue
is B8 now an official patch, or why is the Test Patch forum closed?
Quote from ACCAkut :is B8 now an official patch, or why is the Test Patch forum closed?

Here:
Quote from Scawen :Closing this thread and the testing forum for now. B8 looks so reliable, there is nothing to test for the moment, so people are going way off topic now.

I've got a few more things to do for B9 and if all goes to plan I will release it for testing next week. Thank you very much for the testing up to B8. 0.6C will be a good version!

there was a time back in patch Z where my car lagged for 1hr in a league race, yet i was driving and had no lag on my end. Was some lfs bug that I havent been able to reproduce.
That bug has been in LFS for years. I remember Jack Basford doing it at KY3. No one could see him so he virtually had free track for a hour.
I've had something similar sometimes (in 0.6B) when my router forgets what UDP is for a while.
I press ctrl+t to switch to TCP position packets, which makes it so I can see other players. InSim then knows where I am, but (some?) other players still can't see my car.

This could be similar to what Chuck described above, as I've seen this happen sometimes with others: somehow the timing to a player goes out of sync, which causes LFS to show lag when the packets actually arrive on time or impossibly low lag (eg 0.01 between Europe and Australia). What's really strange is that sometimes the amount it's out of sync drifts, causing the reported latency to slowly increase past 0.5 and eventually drop back down to 0.00.
No idea if this is still possible in the test patch though.
Quote from Bmxtwins :there was a time back in patch Z where my car lagged for 1hr in a league race, yet i was driving and had no lag on my end. Was some lfs bug that I havent been able to reproduce.

We had same thing in 2010.

G!nho was visible at start of a BL1 FOX league race, after going towards long straight, he disappeared into LAG for the entire race, yet his split times where updated all the time, and he did win the race.
Scawen already explained why this happens, it's not a bug.. It's almost funny how bad messages are being read.

But, this... "feature"... Could also be used to cheat of course together with for example the .wld object hack. So to just keep somebody racing in this situation... Hmm... Difficult..
Yes, I was thinking it could be related to the timers, even when I wrote that post.

This is one of these things that is a little more complicated than it seems at first. What we want is simple : for the "time since race started" to proceed at exactly the same speed and have exactly the same value on guests as on the host, at any moment, no matter where you are in the world.

A first idea might be for the host to say "go" and everyone starts their clock at that time. But then of course, everyone who is far from the host would be starting later than those who are near to the host. So the solution for this problem is the host and guests mark their packets with the time they were sent and also send some info of when the last received packet arrived. So guests can estimate how far ahead or behind the host they are, assuming the packets take the same time in each direction. Also there is instant nudging when "impossible" packets arrive. A guest knows for a fact it should make an instant timer adjustment of X if a packet arrives from the host at a time X ms before it was sent.

You might think then, that by ignoring particularly late packets and looking at at the time stamps on the ones that seem reasonable, we could get in time and stay in time. But the extra complication is that the clocks run at different speeds on different computers. From memory, I think we discovered that it was normal for time to differ by about 1ms per second and 4ms per second was not uncommon. It sounds like a lot, 4ms per second is a drift of about 6 minutes per day. That is a bad clock, but some of them are that bad. And you can see this becomes very serious in a multiplayer game. With one way pings of about 20 ms for computers in the same country, you can see that after only 5 seconds, with one having a bad time clock with error 4ms / sec, one computer might be so far ahead of another that packets seem to be arriving before they were sent. Even with normal 1ms / sec error (1.5 mins per day) after 20 seconds they could get into a bad state.

So LFS tries to deal with this by adjusting a time multiplier. It does this slowly and gradually because it must not get tricked by occasional late packets and so on. It tries to get the guest's time clock running at the same speed as the host's and also to the same time value.

It does rely on some smoothness for this to work. If the latency keeps changing, for example things downloading in the background or other things happening on the internet, then the continually changing results are hard to make sense of. Also I think there might be a limit of 5ms per seconds on the adjustment. So for example if you have a host that runs 3ms per second slow and a guest that runs 3ms per second fast, then they will never get nicely into time synchronisation. The guest would always look "early". His car lag would look impossibly low and he would see other car lags as being high.
Quote from Scawen :^

Thanks for taking the time to summarize this, it's always interesting to read some technical info. Just out of curiosity, have you considered using HPET instead of TSC (or whatever timesource Windows picks) to check for any clock delta? The way I understand it, HPET is supposed to be both more precise and accurate at the expense of having bigger polling overhead...
I can't remember fully what I researched in the past, when doing the last round of timer updates. But I've had a quick read now and I think the HPET would be accessed by QueryPerformanceFrequency and QueryPerformanceCounter - functions that return really big values!

It seems that these are good for making high precision measurements of tiny time intervals (sich as measuring code execution time). What is not clear from what I've read is if the performance counter is any better at keeping time over a longer time period.

That clock drift over time by the notoriously inaccurate PC clocks is the problem in this case, not the precision level which is ok at 1ms.
offtopic: if you start discussing about time - I think that results of race, hotlaps, best lap times should look like xx.xx.xxx not xx.xx.xx , it'll look more real, more hardcore and wrs with same time become very rare.

Thanks.
Quote from Frunze118 :offtopic: if you start discussing about time - I think that results of race, hotlaps, best lap times should look like xx.xx.xxx not xx.xx.xx , it'll look more real, more hardcore and wrs with same time become very rare.

Thanks.

this isnt exactly what are they talking about, and Scawen already said he will add 0.001 s precision somewhere in future
ive got sometimes timer bounted orsomething in my dedi host.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG