The online racing simulator
What view do you use?
(36 posts, started )
What view do you use?
Hi, after racing around with "pro" career demo racers, and "wreckers" in the demo for a week, today I have obtained my S2 licence.:wave2:

I was wondering what view most racers are using, and maybe a reason for one view over another.

In the demo I started with the outside the car view (3rd person), and when I became more comfortable with the game, I switched to the front tires view.

In the first hour of checking out cars, and tracks I have found myself back to the outside the car view to have any chance of seeing corners coming up/keeping the car on the track.

Seems like a great game, with a LOAD of content. The community here seems strong as well, and reading this forum for a couple of days made me realize I had to get a S2.

Any input on the view issue would be helpful, as I don't really want to learn the game one way, and realize I have to go back and re-learn it the "right" way.

Zen
tire view.. reasons for doing so: size of monitor.. 11x9 .. i think.. moved hands around a bit, and also for the sake of getting 100+ FPS

but if i had a larger monitor (or wider.. like my dad who uses 2 monitors.. grrr) then i would use incar, only because i would be able to see more than i can see with my few inches of my current monitor
Only incar view. 11x9 monitor? :O
i dont know.. i dont have any ruler anywhere near me and dont feel like asking my dad (for .. reasons)
whatever it is.. its not large enough for me lol
Front tires view. I set the view so I am right at the top of the tire, and forward enough so the tire is JUST out of sight; this way I can judge distance better when racing multiplayer. BTW, I have a 19" LCD.
#6 - AdamW
the virtual view, with the tyres. I'm playing on a 27" standard-def TV - resolution stinks too much to see the instruments properly in the cockpit view.
#7 - Jakg
Cockpit for me, gives me a lot more "feel" for the car!
#8 - Nobo
If you feel most comfortable with the 3rd person view, then drive this. Some drviers say you are faster with cockpit or tyre view, but i really think chase view has some advantages. It helps a lot in dense race situations, you allways can see your insides without turning the head, so you can concentrate on the fight. The other thing yopu just mentioned, you have a good overview, you see early if there is something on the track, you see your breaking point really early.
The advantages of the cockpit view is, that you have that mirror which helps inf fights, when someone is comming up to you. The other thing is, people wont tell you a bad simulation driver, because you use the more realistic view :P
I have tried myself to switch to cockpit view, but cant do it...or i'm not really motivated to learn the game from new.
Only in the Uf1 or XFG i can drive the cockpit view, because they are not really hard to drive :P
For me the switch from tyre view to cockpit was weird at first, but soon I realised I was doing much better without the tyres visible. In cockpit, I actually started to 'feel' the car and to pay more attention to the road itself. Before that I was constantly distracted by the tyres, always watching them and using them as a cue for understeer.

Personally, I can't drive the outside view at all, but I understand using it if you don't have a wheel. With a wheel it's just... icky.
I tend to use the chase view when I'm on the Westhill or Aston or the long Kyoto tracks with the Sauber or Fox but I like the incar cockpit view for South City when I pick a UF1000 (the mini)
Yur pays yur money, yur takes your choice.
Cockpit view. When you're in the middle of the car, it's pretty easy to tell what both axles are doing cause you can see the rotation of the car relative to the road.

The problem with the "between the tires" view is that it can be difficult to feel small slides, because your eyes are very close to the rotation axis. In cockpit view you can see the rotation and the sideways movement of the back of the car. Between the tires you can only see the rotation.

Chase view offers a good overview, but you don't really know what the car is doing and where it's headed. It's difficult to get a good exit with chase view because you can't really tell if the car is just sliding a little bit or if it's actually going into the direction the nose is pointing at.
/me

cockpit view
fov: 70°
no driver, no wheel
with TIR4
Chase view 80°
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
This again...

Is this a weekly thread?
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Cockpit for me, 17" monitor (16" vis). The FOV is a bit limiting but meh thats what the look left and right buttons are for. I'm used to looking around.

Keiran
Quote from thisnameistaken :Yeah, just post and get it over with, we have to get it wrapped up before Thursday because Thursdays are "What's Your Favourite Car?" day.

rofl

cockpit view here
Thanks to all that responded so far, I learned that you can customize the view, going to play with that and see what I can come up with...

Sorry that this thread seems to be posted weekly, I hadn't seen anything like it in the beginners forum, guess I need to branch out to the other forums.

I promise I wont start a what is your favorite car thread...
Always use in-car view... can't drive with any views that aren't in-car
Quote from spsamsp :Always use in-car view... can't drive with any views that aren't in-car

Yep, I just can't "feel" the car in any other view than cockpit...
Cockpit view, ~90 FOV
Except I use third person chase view while drifting.

I like the cockpit view for racing because it adds to the sense of realism, and you can know where the car is going better than the chase view shows you. Also, you can hear when cars are behind you, and your engine can be heard better too.
Wheels

Keeps the frame rate up and you can see lots more, and how badly your suspension is damaged (if it is).
Cockpit view, this IS a simulator.
Cockpit ofcourse!
How can you see your mirrors if your driving example chase-view?

F-man
cockpit all the way, with FOV of like 75.

21" widescreen LCD. pitty i cant use my other 19" LCD for like a rear\side view.

What view do you use?
(36 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG