The online racing simulator
help me go that lil bit quicker BL1/XFG
hey guys been trying for the past few days to beat my PB but i'm finding it a real struggle can anyone give me some pointers i'll upload a replay
-
(monsterrocks) DELETED by Flame CZE
help me go that little bit quicker BL1/XFG
easiest way is to compare with wr replay
I think it's you that needs to give tips to everyone else with that time
Going faster comes over time is all, you'll eventually hit a certain speed and time you won't be able to beat due to limitations in the car settings. The only thing that will improve your times @ that point is to adjust the settings such as longer gear ratios for higher top speed on long sections or adjust the suspension settings to allow you to take corners faster. Keep in mind that entering a corner faster is not as important as exiting the corner faster which is what will lead to lower lap times.
cheers man i've been pushing it i think in some cases my entry speed is higher then some of the real fast people then and in some cases my line is slightly off but by the tiniest margin and exit speed lost is like half km/h but i technically thought the more track you use more speed as long as you get the lines pretty much spot on , its more trying to get the car to balance just before turn in that way when i scrub of speed i can hit the throttle earlier once i've turned in and hit the apex, bearing in mind this set i downloaded of the net its Nilex's old set and i havent made changes to it, its meant to be for a mouse but i'm using a wheel to drive it, i guess i've reached the limitations of the set but it should be able to do 33;1's but it may be i can't adapt to it well enought to get its full potential may try making a set to suit me and see how i go, not the best at understanding how it works though so i'll read up on it.
thx guys appreciate the feedback yeah i can sort you out with som tips if you like and i've compared it to the WR and stuff and i feel like half the time i'm doing the same thing but ggetting no results its kind of a misconception, half the time my lines are pretty much spot on and other times i can't tell how they turn the car in quite so well for example the tricky little right left after the long right hander, and first corner i've had issues with lately, might be the set is off the net and the controller used was a mouse where as i'm using a wheel and i may not be able to go faster because i've adapted as much as i can to the set and might be why i'm struggling with going faster because i''m using a wheel and the set is made for someone else and not one chnage has been made, maybe if i make one myself i shoul dbe able to go faster but not the best at making sets all i know is to do one thing at a time and do consistent laps and see if the changes you make gets the car do what you wanna do and a set is all about compromise so i've gotta work out where i can make up the most time, and i've gotta remember my reference points i don't have a reference for all the corners that might be why i can do say 29:83 split one lap then its a 29:90 for the next coz i'm slightly doing different things without noticing, anymore help would be appreciated guys thx
Threads merged
thx man wasnt sure where to put it i'm new to posting threads on forums
Login to lfsworld.net -> S2 Hotlaps -> Choose file
already done that man, i just wanted someones personal point of view and tips as to were i'm going wrong coz i seem to be doing the same thing as really fast guys but not quite going as quick, any help is appreciated
You've probably heard this already, but I'll try my best to explain this to people who haven't heard this yet. Hopefully I can help some of you increase your time if you are new to LFS/simming.

This is all physics and dynamics when it comes to increasing your laptime. I am by no means fast at BL1 - i'll break into the high 33s if I'm on a good day (even though I have over 1000 laps on it). The reason why you aren't as fast as WR, even though you feel like you are doing exactly what the WR guy is because you aren't doing what he is doing.

Remember that the line isn't everything. Sure, it'll ensure you get the greatest width from the track. But know that the grip you get is used both horizontally (cornering) and 'vertically' (acceleration). By going the best line, you are only reduce the amount of cornering forces. But if you are not smooth on your acceleration/braking, you are putting more forces on the tires (you are 'jerking' the pedals, causing a sudden acceleration, meaning you are applying a lot more force to the tires), and sure, you have a wider track, but you no longer have enough grip - therefore you understeer.

The way to get around this is by being, yes, smoother on the acceleration pedal/brake pedal. It may feel like you are not slowing down as fast because your brakes are not fully activated until half a second later than usual, but trust me, you will slow down a lot faster, and you will be in control of your car while cornering.

A method I read about is to think about "squeezing" the pedals, rather than steping on them and to also use the ball of your feets rather than your toes. It's really effective, and I use this method not just for driving, but even flying. and it definitely works.
cheers man i appreciate it yes i know what you mean even though it looks the same its not but when i watch the replay closely it looks like they put on the power as hard as me with no understeer unless its just a lil slower and i've never realised it, but when i've been watching it all the inputs look the same to me unless i'm not focusing enough, i know steering looks alot rougher then mine yet the car still points where they want, feel free to correct me though i love learning new things and every reply/replay is allowing me to try a new approach
If you are not 100% sure about if the problem is the set or your driving style, you should keep the driving set the way it was. Just decreases the amount of variables you are playing with. The most I'd tweak is possibly

- one of the gear ratios by +/- 0.01: I noticed I got 0.1s faster on BL1/XFG combo if I increased the third gear ratio just a little so I'd be at a great power setting coming out of last turn onto the straightaway.
- small tire pressure changes (not much) +/- 5 psi - changes how fast the tires heat up and stuff - so that the tires may last longer than one hotlap.
- brake bias +/- 2%. If the driver of the set heel toes, and you don't, you may need to inc/dec the brake bias to make up for the extra engine braking during the downshift.
- main page - fuel: make it as little as possible!

Beyond that though, especially the suspension, is run by someone who you know is a fast driver. If you are oversteering, understeering etc, it is because of how your car is balanced going into the corner. You are probably not smooth enough.

Regarding you view of rough steering. Don't try to emulate that. The key to being fast is to act smoothly (even slowly). The rougher you are, the less balanced your car is, and the slower it gets. I've never tried analyzing WRs (I should start), but try looking at the steering in co-ordinating with the braking/accelerating. Depending on what type of layout and suspension the car is, certain applications of either gas/brake can help 'turn' the car into the corner.
OOOOPS!! I am giving the wrong person pointers. You need to teach me to get 33:20 on BL1 XP
cheers man i appreciate the help and, i've had a look at the replays and how they do it and i do my own thing then slowly work my way up to the same as the WR or close too but i dunno if i'm trying emulate the all 3 too quick or i'm under the impression i'm being smooth and being that lil bit too rough and it seems to be th first turn i'm struggling with more then anything and the chicane after coming out of the right hander after the long straight, they seem to be my weak points and i've tryed a variety of different things and can't get it to quite turn in like i can in the replay, instead of doing say 105 by the apex i'm doing 102 before i can accelerate but i'm turning it at the right point etc so thats why i don't understand, after analysing the replay the car seems to turn in really weird like its glued to the road literally where as mine doesn't, could it be the way they turn in( steering,brakes,throttle) or the way they've set up the car before corner entry

thx for the help guys appreciate it
Genesis is right on the money... Here's a revision of my original post with diagrams added to help illustrate the content.

Racing School 101 - Race Car P ... mp; Race Craft Techniques

No worries about improving your laptimes right away, all these things take time to gain experience which is the only difference between you and a faster driver, the experience level. Good luck mate!
Thx man really appreciate the help, it will really help me along the way, I'm not quite sure how to set up cars or what to tune first then next I'm guessing you do spring and dampers first then gears and fiddle with the tyres last feel free to watch the replay to see if there's something else I may be doing slightly different or wrong really appreciating the in depth detail guys
anyone got any more tips or help please
Quote from Frunze118 :I can't drive so fast like you, so I can't give you tips. I use this strategy : more laps = faster time. Good luck !

Also try this setup. It's WR edited by niki http://www.setupgrid.net/index ... ownload_setup&id=4011

that strategy works for so long then you hit a brick wall and cant seem to improve and its usually down to the smallest thing , ive done 41927 laps on blackwood with fbm and been stuck at my pb 1.12.62 for a while and being in the same situation as the o.p

best of luck monsterrocks im sure through determination you will beat your pb
bishtop, you got really good time. But the reason why you can't faster is following learned trajectory. Maybe some expirements or racing on another tracks with fbm will help you with beating your pb.
wow Bishtop that's over a month of solid FBM/BL1 driving..!
It's not like you are 3-4 secs off WR, you are very close, so general advice would not help at all. Grab a hotlap analyzer (LRA is good, you can also try the online one at lfsworld-maybe better choice) and compare your SPR with the WR one, that will be faster and more efficient.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG