The online racing simulator
Oculus Rift
(124 posts, started )
Neat, I'll try to get some of my Rift wielding buddies to test it as I don't have my dev kit anymore.
Yeah on the Oculus it will be really fun!
Sorry for being one of the haters
I really respect the way you defy expectations and work on the things that excite you. Thanks for getting involved the community again. It means a lot to some of us.
Any news of a higher res Rift? Tried the current and it's useless.
Quote from atledreier :Any news of a higher res Rift? Tried the current and it's useless.

yes, at the end of this year or the beginning of next year, there will be a 1080P dev kit
Oculus have said numerous times there won't be a 1080p dev version. There are a few 1080p prototypes around for shows etc that have a bad viewing area as the panel wasn't perfect for the application but they have said that the consumer version will be 1080p and have the right viewing area and out sometime in 2014.
Nowhere 1080p got mentioned. (But they want to match consumer final product so it likely would be something like that I guess).
Quote :That way, developers can build and test their games on the nearly final hardware that users will be playing at launch.

Final hardware = 1080p

Would hardly make any sense to ship another 800p dev kit, now would it?
You are too fast

Anyway, not this year...
Quote from Matrixi :Final hardware = 1080p

Would hardly make any sense to ship another 800p dev kit, now would it?

Of course the v2 dev kit will have a higher resolution display but I don't think the 1080p is set in stone yet. That's the absolute minimum they are aiming at and personally I hope it's going to be higher.

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/o ... tion-sickness-22-10-2013/

On the embedded video Palmer says that the consumer version is going to be "much more higher resolution" and I don't think FHD would be that. But time will tell.

After the article the first comment says:

4.) Oculus has stated that the first consumer edition will have a display with at a MINIMUM a 1080p display (which would translate to 960x1080 per eye) such as the current HD Prototype. It is much more likely that it will ship with a WQHD (2560x1440 or 1280x1440 per eye) display such as this: http://tinyurl.com/ozbm7wz
Oh for sure, I really hope they'll go for 1440p or 4K as soon as possible.
With this much FOV enough 4K is not a lot.
Dunno how people think this is bad in the current 800p dev kit, I think it'd nothing short of amazing. When you're flying round a bend at 150mph in the formula 1 you tell me how much the resolution bothers you! It's like nothing any computer racing game has ever been like before, there is nothing like it. If you are a fan of this game you should get the rift. Simple as that. If it only worked on this game it would be worth the price.
Quote from Rift_Racing_1 :Dunno how people think this is bad in the current 800p dev kit, I think it'd nothing short of amazing. When you're flying round a bend at 150mph in the formula 1 you tell me how much the resolution bothers you! It's like nothing any computer racing game has ever been like before, there is nothing like it. If you are a fan of this game you should get the rift. Simple as that. If it only worked on this game it would be worth the price.

The problem for me at least is not zooming round the corner at 150mph it's spotting the braking zone ahead doing 200+ when the view distance is far too pixelated to see when to brake.

It is an experience like no other and surely the future of sim gaming but we need higher res for it to make people choose the rift next time they play as I now find myself not using it until a better version is available. However, in the back of my mind is the amazing potential of how good it will be!
Honestly, the only thing that has put me off of getting a dev kit is the promise of a better version being released for the same price in the future.
Got to play with the Crystal Cove prototype at CES last week, and I gotta say... this shit is legit. Can't wait to buy one.
I heard the latest prototype uses pentile and the screen door effect was much worse than the previous 1080p prototype as a result. Sadly it looks like Carmack got his wish with the OLED pentile sillyness, I just hope they'll use a proper screen again for the consumer version.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Got to play with the Crystal Cove prototype at CES last week, and I gotta say... this shit is legit. Can't wait to buy one.

you are 1 lucky mofo.

Oculus Rift
(124 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG