The online racing simulator
How many of you actually own a sound system?
(48 posts, started )
How many of you actually own a sound system?
Yes... Another of those threads from me... I must have lots of questions and i need answers!

What i mean by a car sound system is eithe an aftermarket one or one of the premium ones (like the Harman Kardon in the BMW and the BOSE in the Audi)

I personally don't drive so i don't have and my parents have standard ones...

Which ones do you/your parents have??

Please also give the details of it!
Unfortunately acquiring an after market stereo system can only be done if your fashion ideals involve wearing a hood. The unit has to be stolen, and it can only play rap, techno and hip hop music. Such after market units can only fit into a Vauxhall Nova with double sized exhaust pipe, with neon undertray lights as an optional extra.

None of these things describe myself, but my factory fitted Saab unit can go louder than is comfortable and the quality is fine.
Quote from Becky Rose :Unfortunately acquiring an after market stereo system can only be done if your fashion ideals involve wearing a hood. The unit has to be stolen, and it can only play rap, techno and hip hop music. Such after market units can only fit into a Vauxhall Nova with double sized exhaust pipe, with neon undertray lights as an optional extra.

None of these things describe myself, but my factory fitted Saab unit can go louder than is comfortable and the quality is fine.

grow up maybe?

I have a new pionheer headunit in my car because the standard factory ead unit did not have a cd player and had shite quality, and that means I stole it and I'm a chav? :smash3d:
Quote from Becky Rose :The unit has to be stolen, and it can only play rap, techno and hip hop music.

Not neccessarily. Ok, my head unit was stolen. Not BY me, but FROM me. No rap, techno, or hip hop in my car. You just sat back, closed your eyes, and was taken to another world by the hypnotising sound of David Gilmore's guitar as my system was built for one band, Pink Floyd.

This was years ago, before I became an "adult" and had more important things to spend money on like thousands to the hospital for the births of my children, a home with a yard for them to play in, and what seems like thousands of dollars in Barbie accessories. I still have half of the equipment that wasn't stolen installed in the new truck, but it isn't anywhere near what I had in college.
Did have a decent system in my Mondeo, all pioneer, headunit, 6x9 speakers, amp & sub box, all subtley installed by NCA (Norwich Car Audio), was a very nice system.

Dan,
No sound system here, there is no need for one in my car. Besides they weigh too much when you start adding in a subs/box and amp. Your basically adding another rider into the back of your trunk, then your gas milage goes down, for what? So you can vibrate all the way home from work? I could see new head unit and component speakers in some cars, but the new cars that are coming out there really isn't much need to upgrade. My stock sound system in my car has enough bass to rattle my rear view mirror with just the factory speakers, I didn't even get the kicker sound system.
I did have a 12inch in a bandpass box in my old car, but then I thought what was the point and sold it, you cant hear the most sweet sound in the world, the sound of engine revving if you have a sound system =) 1/2 the time I drive around with the radio off!!
#7 - Vain
All you need is the engine sound in the car and neither Bose nor Harman can do that better than the engine itself.

Vain
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from Vain :All you need is the engine sound in the car and neither Bose nor Harman can do that better than the engine itself.

Vain

lol,

yeah man, nothing competes with the sound of an old 2.2td AUTO that i've got in my Toyota Lucida!!!

watched Top Gear last night, the new jag, now that sounded glorious!
Quote from mrfell :lol,

yeah man, nothing competes with the sound of an old 2.2td AUTO that i've got in my Toyota Lucida!!!

watched Top Gear last night, the new jag, now that sounded glorious!

Hehe you hear the twin engine bugatti? They use two V8's, man it sounds nice
Yes, I call it a hi-fi, and it runs of the mains and sits in my room. Cars should either be silent (so you can just relax in silence) or musical (so music is unnecessary).
I'm using the stock radio/cassette player and stock 4 speaker system in my 200SX. I would want to get an aftermarket CD/Mp3 player at least, but I always end up purchasing performance parts instead. I guess I can bare the stock system as long as I hear the radio. :P
I have a Clarion DXZ648RMP headunit (as the standard fiesta one is shite), Infinity fronts and rear speakers. No subs or anything else as I dont want the weight or the insane bass lol.
http://prostoauto.holm.ru/images/Sony2500_1.jpg Sony CDX 2500R, like the one in the picture but amber backlighting. I bought it new in 1999, and I'm yet to have a single reason to get a new one - except for MP3 support.

The speakers are probably aftermarket, but rather poor ones. I ought to upgrade this summer.
Quote from Becky Rose :Unfortunately acquiring an after market stereo system can only be done if your fashion ideals involve wearing a hood. The unit has to be stolen, and it can only play rap, techno and hip hop music. Such after market units can only fit into a Vauxhall Nova with double sized exhaust pipe, with neon undertray lights as an optional extra.

So true... But yet, when you go above that with custom fits... It's so not!!
Quote from spsamsp :So true... But yet, when you go above that with custom fits... It's so not!!

Yes, that is true. If you build a system right, you should be able to close your eyes and pinpoint exactly on a stage each member and instrument is. Also, you should be able to hear not only the guitar, but the noise of the pick hitting the strings as well as the lead singer taking a breath between lines of lyrics. If you can't hear that, then you havent' built it to the best standards yet.

Someone booming down the street to rap, techno, etc. doesn't have a sound system. They only have a set/group of oversized subs with an exaggerated amplifier, maybe some speakers tossed up front so they can call it a system. Two 6 inch speakers in the doors and ten 15 inch subwoofers isn't a sound system.

I had a set of Infinity Kappa 63 6.5 inch coaxials in the doors, a set of MB Quart 5.25 separates in the kickpanels along with a set of Alpine 1 inch tweeters. Two MTX Bluethunder 10 inch subwoofers in the back all driven by a whooping 16 watt RMS per channel for the mains and 50 W RMS per channel amp for the subs. I could toss some Rush YYZ double bass drum solo in the CD player and smoke any Rap listenning fool out there. It's all in quality not quantity and bass is the easiest thing to get from a sound system.
Quote from mrodgers :Yes, that is true. If you build a system right, you should be able to close your eyes and pinpoint exactly on a stage each member and instrument is. Also, you should be able to hear not only the guitar, but the noise of the pick hitting the strings as well as the lead singer taking a breath between lines of lyrics. If you can't hear that, then you havent' built it to the best standards yet.

Someone booming down the street to rap, techno, etc. doesn't have a sound system. They only have a set/group of oversized subs with an exaggerated amplifier, maybe some speakers tossed up front so they can call it a system. Two 6 inch speakers in the doors and ten 15 inch subwoofers isn't a sound system.

I had a set of Infinity Kappa 63 6.5 inch coaxials in the doors, a set of MB Quart 5.25 separates in the kickpanels along with a set of Alpine 1 inch tweeters. Two MTX Bluethunder 10 inch subwoofers in the back all driven by a whooping 16 watt RMS per channel for the mains and 50 W RMS per channel amp for the subs. I could toss some Rush YYZ double bass drum solo in the CD player and smoke any Rap listenning fool out there. It's all in quality not quantity and bass is the easiest thing to get from a sound system.

You are my new hero. I hate boom-boom bass systems. And yes to Rush and YYZ, especially on "Exit Stage Left" just before Neil ends his solo is beyond description on a exceptional sound system. Great. Now I am listening to Exit Stage Left. Xanadu/The Trees sounds great through AKG studio headphones....
got a bazooka tube in my jimmy lol, not sure what size it is.. all i know is that they are cheap, and.. really dont sound bad for just a daily commute
.. but.. its been in there for like my whole life lol but still, it sounds good enough for me (but.. im honestly not worried about how a GMC jimmy sounds lol)
Quote from XCNuse :(but.. im honestly not worried about how a GMC jimmy sounds lol)

That's one reason to install a high quality sound system. Sometimes the "GMC Jimmy" just doesn't cut it and you need to mask the noise it makes with some really good music .

@jayhawk, if that CD hadn't been stolen years ago along with my headunit and original subs, I would be inclined to listen to it on the way to work tomorrow. Guess I'll just have to settle for a little David Gilmore sweet guitar with Comfortably Numb yet again :-)
Becky, grow up.

I replaced the old system in my 1502 with an Alpine CDA-9847 and 4 13cm Pioneer speakers, now it actually works. I've no desire for a sub or anything like that, I like my music to be clear, not loud.
Quote from Bob Smith :Yes, I call it a hi-fi, and it runs of the mains and sits in my room. Cars should either be silent (so you can just relax in silence) or musical (so music is unnecessary).

In fact... That's what I'm putting in my car as we speak... The Hi-Fi setup that I had in my room... I just browse these forums and play LFS on the thing these days, so it really doesn't get used to its potential. It would be much better in the car... Especially because the most beautiful sound in the world (the roar of the engine at higher RPMs) drives you nuts on longer drives.
does a Pioneer DEH-680 that came in the car count? (bought it used)

Iv'e replaced the blown speakers with blaupunkt 6x9's in the rear 4" on the dash and teh 6" in the kick panels. as far as a subwoofer. meh. i dont need loud thunder bass.
Quote from indo420 : i dont need loud thunder bass.

Just wanted to note that adding a subwoofer to a lover of music (ie, no rap crap) is not for "loud thunder bass". It adds tremendously to the balance of the music. Music contains bass, therefore it should be reproduced as accurately as the rest of the frequencies. In fact, bass is probably the most important to the sound quality of music where without it, the music just sounds dead. Without bass, any Pink Floyd song (I am a Pink Floyd fanatic), Rush, Metallica, Ozzy, or any music for that matter, wouldn't be worth listening to as you miss out on what ties everything together in music.

Of course, if you're talking a factory sound system that you think "sounds fantastic", then talk of high quality sound systems are probably above your head (no offense). If you think that even the factory upgraded "Bose system" is fantastic, then you have know idea how good an automotive sound system can be.

And even the well known high quality equipment that are known and popular (as in Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood, etc) that you can pick up at the local retail store are junk in comparison to the good stuff. I found my audio shop when I walked in and talked to the "salesman" for over 2 hours about stuff and not once did he try to sell me something. Nor did he try to sell me something on the 4 or 5 subsequent visits to the shop. When I was ready to buy something and thought I knew what I wanted, he pulled down the equipment that was half the cost and half the power (of the amps) than I wanted to buy. He said, here, this is what you want, not that over there. And I was thrilled that I went with his selection because it wasn't built as a loud system, but was built with the maximum clarity and distortion free sound I could get with what I wanted to spend (and even less than I wanted to spend).
Quote from mrodgers :Just wanted to note that adding a subwoofer to a lover of music (ie, no rap crap) is not for "loud thunder bass". It adds tremendously to the balance of the music. Music contains bass, therefore it should be reproduced as accurately as the rest of the frequencies. In fact, bass is probably the most important to the sound quality of music where without it, the music just sounds dead. Without bass, any Pink Floyd song (I am a Pink Floyd fanatic), Rush, Metallica, Ozzy, or any music for that matter, wouldn't be worth listening to as you miss out on what ties everything together in music.

Of course, if you're talking a factory sound system that you think "sounds fantastic", then talk of high quality sound systems are probably above your head (no offense). If you think that even the factory upgraded "Bose system" is fantastic, then you have know idea how good an automotive sound system can be.

And even the well known high quality equipment that are known and popular (as in Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood, etc) that you can pick up at the local retail store are junk in comparison to the good stuff. I found my audio shop when I walked in and talked to the "salesman" for over 2 hours about stuff and not once did he try to sell me something. Nor did he try to sell me something on the 4 or 5 subsequent visits to the shop. When I was ready to buy something and thought I knew what I wanted, he pulled down the equipment that was half the cost and half the power (of the amps) than I wanted to buy. He said, here, this is what you want, not that over there. And I was thrilled that I went with his selection because it wasn't built as a loud system, but was built with the maximum clarity and distortion free sound I could get with what I wanted to spend (and even less than I wanted to spend).

Good comment!!
#24 - Aahz
Hmm, I don't own a car, but my parents have three, although they are in two different countries, so they don't get used much all the time. All three cars are rather old, so nothing that exciting. Anyhow here's the rundown:
1) The old, old old volvo 850 we have uses a standart casette radio system. It's actually quite good, as the six speakers are mounted perfectly, and the car seems to have nice insulation
2) the skoda fabia also has a casette player and four speakers. It's so so, nothing to be excited about.
3)The skoda octavia has a nifty pioneer cd player and the standart speakers. The quality is pretty nice, considering the setup costed us almost nothing.

Personally, however, I have to say that I love, love, love good car sound systems. On the seldom occasions in my life I got to ride in sweet cars with high-end speakers, I was left stunned by the quality of the sound. It's certainly a very expensive and mostly unneeded pleasure, but I would fall for it, for sure.
Quote from Aahz :Hmm, I don't own a car, but my parents have three, although they are in two different countries, so they don't get used much all the time. All three cars are rather old, so nothing that exciting. Anyhow here's the rundown:
1) The old, old old volvo 850 we have uses a standart casette radio system. It's actually quite good, as the six speakers are mounted perfectly, and the car seems to have nice insulation
2) the skoda fabia also has a casette player and four speakers. It's so so, nothing to be excited about.
3)The skoda octavia has a nifty pioneer cd player and the standart speakers. The quality is pretty nice, considering the setup costed us almost nothing.

Personally, however, I have to say that I love, love, love good car sound systems. On the seldom occasions in my life I got to ride in sweet cars with high-end speakers, I was left stunned by the quality of the sound. It's certainly a very expensive and mostly unneeded pleasure, but I would fall for it, for sure.

Yes, it is very memorable... My dad once had a Bose system in his Audi A4... It was around just over 100 Watts but the bass was great!! The best must be a Fiesta i went in with 2x400 Watt Subs and i believe it had some sick head unit and tweeters with sum mids too... butthe sickening bass must be the most memorable!!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG