The online racing simulator
Logitech's Director of Marketing is a fan of LFS
Interesting article over at SimHQ (http://www.simhq.com/_all/all_019l.html). SimHQ has been covering the E3 expo in Los Angeles and had a discussion with Logitech about their new G25 wheel. According to the article:

"After a brief discussion on the pricing and release date on the wheel with Gaming PR Rep Pamela McCracken, I was directed into a long and fascinating discussion with Ruben Mookerjee, Logitech's Director of Marketing. As luck would have it for our hobby, Ruben is a club racer from England, an avid fan of both real and simulated motorsports (specifically, Live For Speed). It was truly gratifying to know that Logitech has someone so passionate about cars, racing and race sims on the team that's developing this new product."

However, the Logitech booth was apparently running rFactor. I wonder if there's an opportunity for LFS to be showcased alongside the latest offerings from Logitech at future events?
"Ruben is a club racer from England, an avid fan of both real and simulated motorsports (specifically, Live For Speed)"

wow, that's pretty awesome~
i wonder what his lfsusername is
Hell yes! Just imagine: LFS (demo) bundled with every new Logitech wheel... Now that would be something.
This seems like a case for Dr. Vykos

I find it a little annoying recently to see some of the bigger companies turning to rFactor. I think this is the proof that marketing really pays off after all, even though most of us agree that there are better products out there...

But maybe we as a community have something up our sleeves to turn Logitech away from "the dark side"?
I know I will get flamed for this, but if I were in Logitech's position to show off their new equipment, I'd have to get a game that could give a smile on an Average Joe's face... and that would be with the use of rFactor. It is easy, forgiving, and overall not as "intense" as LFS. Plus rFactor has driving aids, so it can make any average person comfortable while driving.

As for LFS being shown on display? Well, it can do it, but it wouldn't be easy I'd imagine. If that Marketing Director is a fan of LFS, then that is really cool. It seems Logitech is serious about simulations I guess (could tell by that new wheel)... lets just hope they choose a serious simulation
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from thisnameistaken :*ahem*

PUT MORE BUTTONS ON THE WHEEL!1ELEVEN!!

Thank you, Mr Mookerjee.

*ahem*

He's a marketing director. He's not gonna put more buttons on the wheel, because now the shifter has more value, marketing-wise
I'm pretty sure they've already finalised the design and will start the production soon. So it won't be possible to make such design changes.
#8 - ORION
#9 - Smax
Quote from Tweaker :I know I will get flamed for this, but if I were in Logitech's position to show off their new equipment, I'd have to get a game that could give a smile on an Average Joe's face... and that would be with the use of rFactor. It is easy, forgiving, and overall not as "intense" as LFS. Plus rFactor has driving aids, so it can make any average person comfortable while driving.

but its not at all suitable for showing off the 900° of rotation the wheel has
And the Force Feedback in rF sucks
You have no OutGauge either.
#12 - JJ72
well most of the wheel will probably end up in homes for rich kids playing the next grand turismo on 56inch flat screen HDTVs.
Quote from ORION :Logitech showed LFS on their boot at some German show, though. In the last year iirc
Just remembered that because of the following render I made for Flo

http://www.franknaggies.com/ga ... 4_FZ5_bg_5_logitech_2.jpg

Wow very nice picture... if the lights in LFS were like that *incredible*
Quote from JJ72 :well most of the wheel will probably end up in homes for rich kids playing the next grand turismo on 56inch flat screen HDTVs.

Hehehe... So true!!
Quote from Shotglass :but its not at all suitable for showing off the 900° of rotation the wheel has

Not suitable?
the rf cars have way too little steering lock for a 900° wheel ... lfs is the only pc sim i know that makes use of the larger range of rotation compared to the 270 momos
Quote from BWX232 :Not suitable?

Well, take the XR Turbo and use 900 degrees to demonstrate its precision with drifting or whatnot. Try something like that in rFactor and it just is not smooth or precise.
richard burns rally is another game that can take advantage of the higher lock capable by the dfp.
i'm sure you'll be able to set it to locks inbetween 200 and 900 like with the dfp
Quote from Shotglass :the rf cars have way too little steering lock for a 900° wheel ... lfs is the only pc sim i know that makes use of the larger range of rotation compared to the 270 momos

Well that is complete false.. you can use just as much lock in rF as you can in LFS.
You can also adjust the in-game steering wheel to sync up to any steering wheel lock to lock you are using.

Quote :Well, take the XR Turbo and use 900 degrees to demonstrate its precision with drifting or whatnot. Try something like that in rFactor and it just is not smooth or precise.

Also wrong.. -are you guys are drinking kool-aid or something?

Saying a 900 degree wheel isn't suitable for rF is ridiculous. If you like or do not like rF, that's fine.. but saying things that are completely false about it serves no purpose. LFS is not somehow special when it comes to 900 degree wheels.

Edit- I think you guys either don't have rF or someone told you some bad information about it....
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
rFactor got jealous and came to beat me up. LFS defended me though. My hero.
Quote from BWX232 :Edit- I think you guys either don't have rF or someone told you some bad information about it....

No, I have it, and I absolutely hate the steering in the game... on a 900 degree DFP or my usual wheel which is a Red MOMO. There is nothing 'smooth' about the steering in rFactor.... that is all I can say. I believe the feel of it is the FF has completely botched up the correct feel you get with a real wheel. Even with centering spring OFF (and also my ON but 0% trick), the FF is always centered. Dumb.

And when I refer to LFS, I am pointing out that when doing a drift, rally, or whatever it may be where you constantly countersteer, the countersteering in LFS is much smoother and more lifelike to me, WHILE at the same time, the car is doing the right thing to countersteer/correct properly. It just reminds me of several videos of watching Senna lap several NSX's at Suzuka, it was so smooth and controlled, and when he got power-oversteer, it looked exactly like LFS.
The FF in LFS is better no doubt.. maybe that's what you guys are feeling.. I mean LFS uses what I think is the only way a game should do FF, same as RBR. rF IMP is doing FF the wrong way (affects based)...

but- I have adjusted it in the controller.ini file so that it is much better than default.. and I can use high rotation with my DFP in rF just like LFS and it does work great, it actually works better in rF than a small rotation (270 etc)..
so how would you set up a dfp for rf ? all i see in the game are cars with about 270° ingame rotation

and not only the ff is better in lfs and rbr ... no your also directly connected to the car in those games with 0 controller lag ... wheres the point of countersteering fast if the game takes half a second to react ?
Quote from Shotglass :so how would you set up a dfp for rf ? all i see in the game are cars with about 270° ingame rotation

and not only the ff is better in lfs and rbr ... no your also directly connected to the car in those games with 0 controller lag ... wheres the point of countersteering fast if the game takes half a second to react ?

Yeah that lag is the result of specific tweaks not being done that rF needs to get rid of it on some systems..

- for my ATI card when I had one, I disabled compressed textures and got rid of most of the lag- there is also that flip queue adjustment in ATI TRAY TOOLS that is the equivalent of the "max frames to render ahead" set to 0 done w/ coolbits 2.0 for Nvidia which completely eliminates all the lag in rF..

Yes by default some people do see that lag, I did too- but I fixed it. I don't use ATI anymore now, so I cannot try that flip queue adjustment (if that's what it was, I cannot remember)..

I also found out how to adjust the in game steering wheel to match whatever you use for Lock-to-lock of your DFP... I use about 450 to 720 most of the time.. this is a "per car" adjustment..
http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=236878

Then you can make massive adjustments to the FF to make it MUCH better in the controller.ini to get rid of most of the artificial affects and use only the directional information from the physics engine to generate the FF.. it still is not as good as LFS/ RBR, etc... but you can adjust it so it is very close.

So even though LFS steering is better overall, with a few tweaks, rF can be very good, and much better than most LFS fans think it is.. that much is true.

Personally I like both and play both.. both have good points and not so good points..
Quote from BWX232 :Yeah that lag is the result of specific tweaks not being done that rF needs to get rid of it on some systems..

isnt it the result of a flawed way to poll the wheel ?

Quote :I also found out how to adjust the in game steering wheel to match whatever you use for Lock-to-lock of your DFP... I use about 450 to 720 most of the time.. this is a "per car" adjustment..
http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=236878

just read that thread and lets just say i certainly prefer the ease of use lfs offers

Quote :Then you can make massive adjustments to the FF to make it MUCH better in the controller.ini to get rid of most of the artificial affects and use only the directional information from the physics engine to generate the FF.. it still is not as good as LFS/ RBR, etc... but you can adjust it so it is very close.

still sub par with now 3 games doing it how it needs to be done

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG