The online racing simulator
Megaupload down by FBI (Not related to Sopa/pipa)
WASHINGTON—The Federal Bureau of Investigation shut down Thursday one of the world's most popular file-sharing websites, MegaUpload.com, and announced the arrest of four of the people behind it in a global crackdown against the suspected online pirates.

The move pushed the raging piracy debate to new territory: the role of online 'lockers' where users around the world store and share material, often times pirated movies and music. The raid came a day after Washington lawmakers were besieged by complaints about legislation designed to crack down on offshore file-sharing services. Internet sites like Wikipedia and Google Inc. protested the legislation as censorship.

MegaUpload, which is based in Hong Kong and was knocked offline Thursday, claimed it had 50 million daily users. The site lets individuals upload files—anything from a document to a digital movie—and provide Internet links that other individuals can use to download a copy. It charges for memberships that give users faster and unlimited amounts of transfers.

Lawyers for MegaUpload couldn't immediately be reached.

Seven people have been charged with online piracy crimes in an indictment unsealed in Northern Virginia. Four of those suspects, including the site's alleged founder and senior executives, are already in custody, authorities said.

The four were arrested in New Zealand. Federal agents and other law enforcement agencies simultaneously moved to search bank records and server farms in multiple locations around the globe, authorities said. The charges include conspiracy to commit racketeering and criminal copyright infringement.

MegaUpload.com is already engaged in a legal fight with Vivendi SA's Universal Music Group over a promotional video featuring some UMG artists, including Kanye West, Mary J. Blige, Kim Kardashian and others. Universal filed a lawsuit to have the video removed from YouTube saying the video violated its copyrights.

The site's chief executive has been reported to be music producer Swizz Beatz, whose real name is Kaseem Dean and who is the spouse of Alicia Keys. Mr. Dean wasn't named in the indictment. A spokeswoman for Everest Entertainment, which is distributing an coming album by Swizz Beatz, had no immediate comment.

On a "frequently asked questions'' section of the website, MegaUpload acknowledges that some have criticized its practices, but insists it is an aboveboard business. "The fact is that the vast majority of mega's Internet traffic is legitimate, and we are here to stay. If the content industry would like to take advantage of our popularity, we are happy to enter into a dialogue,'' the website reads in part.

The Justice Department paints a different picture.

According to the indictment, MegaUpload is responsible for at least $500 million in losses for the owners of the copyrights in question. The indictment calls the company "a world-wide criminal organization whose members engaged in criminal copyright infringement and money laundering on a massive scale.''

Investigators estimate that MegaUpload's piracy business has earned them more than $175 million, according to the indictment.

Source here
Not only that, annon also took down sony some days ago in protest of Sopa/pipa
It's always comforting to know that if any american lobbyist feels less than amused about my practices they can get me jailed despite basing my business on the other side of the world.
What's Megaupload, some food blender?
Anonymous is probably in for a rude awakening for cyber terrorism charges after this. Not really the smartest move to take down the FBI website.
#12 - Jakg
Quote from Bmxtwins :Anonymous is probably in for a rude awakening for cyber terrorism charges after this. Not really the smartest move to take down the FBI website.

My pet hate - anonymous is not one person, or even a "group" - it's a bunch of people who join together under an "anti-name"
If any actions are designed to support legislation controlling the internet then anonymous's behaviour puts them right in front.

They may be a group of non people, or given how much money and how many govt depts are taking interest in the nets control then they may be something else.

What is interesting, and being from NZ we have a direct stake, was the fact that this company could be dealt with under current legislation.

I do not support piracy at all, and if you have to engage in illegal downloads, read my posts about not being caught !, ( note to NSA, the information was provided by the British Govt in a public domain release ! ) but the fact remains that we do not need the US controlling information access to prosecute people for illegal activities.

And some activities are clearly illegal, this case will go through OUR courts and if illegal activity took place then they will be convicted.

Unlike the proposed US legislation which simply assumes guilt with no evidence or court case.
It's interesting thought that "anonymous" is US Gov itself.. These actions by Anonymous give them more right to do all this, just like after 9/11 situation..
Quote from Boris Lozac :It's interesting thought that "anonymous" is US Gov itself.. These actions by Anonymous give them more right to do all this, just like after 9/11 situation..

And how exactly are they going to use this to their own benefit? Are they going to ban IP's of quite possibly tens of thousands of computers? Are they going to censor the entire Internet traffic? Are they going to cut USA off the worldwide web?
9/11 allowed the US gov to introduce laws that were supposed to prevent such an event from happening again. Anonymous present a completely different kind of threat which cannot be fought with by SOPA or any kind of similar act... Still wonder why I find conspiracy theories hard to believe?
Megaupload is back

That's the new adress
Quote from el pibe :related:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?f ... mbedded&v=Smb-cFSDXrw

How is it possible to have 304 views and 2.424 likes?

Quote from Inouva :Megaupload is back

That's the new adress

I get this when I try to enter. And when I do, what ever tab I click I get the same message: "This is the NEW MEGAUPLOAD SITE! we are working to be back full again
Bookmark the site and share the new address in facebook and twitter!"

I'd wait a bit on this, before trusting them it's the real deal.
Attached images
Clip_3.jpg
Clip_6.jpg
Quote from Racer X NZ :http://www.state.gov/g/ct/team/index.htm
http://www.guardian.co.uk/tech ... operation-social-networks
http://www.guardian.co.uk/gove ... t-initiatives-theresa-may
http://hsgac.senate.gov/public ... .ViolentIslamistExtremism
http://www.nctc.gov/
http://www.pcworld.com/article ... cruiting_expert_says.html

Who knows, but they certainly employ enough people to create a situation that requires legislation.

Problem, reaction, solution.

And as usual Racer X comes to spoil the thread.

back on topic: Megaload no shifted to new host yet ?? whats the delay ?
Quote from theirishnoob :And as usual Racer X comes to spoil the thread.

back on topic: Megaload no shifted to new host yet ?? whats the delay ?

Since there is no teletransportation like on start trek i think it whould take some time
And you haven't worked out how controlled YouTube is ?, they control the viewed count but fail dismally on like/dislikes.
Don't worry, they'll get that sorted eventually.

Sorry, am I spoiling the thread again !

People chose the openly break the law, you will get nailed.
If your going to play with torrents then please use you brains and cover your arse, check the official info from the UK govt that i've posted about how to do this.
Quote from sermilan :
How is it possible to have 304 views and 2.424 likes?

Chuck Norris liked it.
Sorry, but for all those who feel I'm paranoid about this, I recommend reading the following.

"Anonymous launched one of the largest hacking attacks in history today.
Gizmodo reports that – in response to the Feds’ shutting down of the extremely popular file-sharing site MegaUpload – Anonymous has shut down the sites of the main corporate copyright enforcers, including:
  • Motion Picture Association of America
  • Recording Industry Association of America
  • Universal Music
  • EMI
Anonymous has also shut down the main U.S. governmental copyright enforcers, including:
  • U.S. Copyright Office
  • Department of Justice
  • FBI
Plus foreign agencies, including:
  • French copyright authority HADOPI
Given yesterday’s success in forcing so many congress members to back off of SOPA and PIPA, the timing could not be worse.
As free speech champion Michael Rivero argued after Anonymous took down DOJ’s website today:
In aligning with the pirates and attacking the DOJ, anonymous has handed the US government more justification for draconian controls on the internet.
I would not be quite so upset if this had occurred after Congress passed a draconian web censorship bill such as SOPA. But the fact that this is happening only 24 hours after the web’s successful protest concerns me greatly".
http://www.washingtonsblog.com ... t-websites-worldwide.html

And would the US carry out a false flag ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Northwoods

And heres some background on the guy concerned.
http://attrition.org/errata/charlatan/kimble/
For me I find it outragous that USA Government have the rights to do this, megaupload was for me nothing about illegal stuff, it was about sharing and downloading small things, like a video (not ripped, video of a game, or something else), files, pictures and more.. For ****s sake USA...
-
(Töki (HUN)) DELETED by Töki (HUN)
yeah, my Tree pack was up there too.

What I find most surprising is that the US agencies can happily arrest anyone in another country even if whatever reason they are persecuted for isn't a crime in said country. They did that with suspected terrorists, but copyright violators?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG