The online racing simulator
LFS Wheel Controllers
(57 posts, started )
LFS Wheel Controllers
Hi I'm somewhat new to LFS and I'm going to get a wheel to play lfs with but the controllers that i found in my misc file like "Logitech_G25_Racing_Wheel_USB.con", "Logitech_MOMO_Force_USB.con", and "SideWinder_Force_Feedback_Wheel_USB.con" are too expensive, so I was going to buy a somewhat cheap one (because I'm cheap) but idk if LFS will support it or not. I've seen a lot of players use G25 and G27 wheels on youtube so I'm scared to buy a wheel that LFS will not support.
I believe LFS supports almost any USB wheel. At least it did for all 3 cheap craps I had.
Oh thx so much for the info. There's no way I'm gonna buy a cheap wheel if it's not gonna work for the program I'm using it for.
#4 - Sobis
Quote from Hairdoo100 :Oh thx so much for the info. There's no way I'm gonna buy a cheap wheel if it's not gonna work for the program I'm using it for.

I would recommend you Logitech Formula Force EX. It's not very expensive and it is doing its job for about 3 years now.
LFS supports pretty much any usb device that is registered by Windows...I think even my Guitar Hero instruments work.
Quote from Stefani24 :LFS supports pretty much any usb device that is registered by Windows...I think even my Guitar Hero instruments work.

They do, i even drifted with my GH Guitar!

Anything is getting connected with USB is supported. You just need to set the buttons/axis based on what you want.
Quote from Sobis :I would recommend you Logitech Formula Force EX. It's not very expensive and it is doing its job for about 3 years now.

Agree with above.
Not to be picky, but the name is Logitech Driving Force EX (at least here in Norway).

The wheel is a cheap wheel, so it probally won't last that many years, but since it costs like 1/3 of the better wheels it's worth it.

Mine does still work, 2 years of abusing and counting
A wheel with less than 360 degrees should be a good starter wheel, I started playing S2 with a Logitech MOMO Racing which has 270 degrees of steering (which still works, and is sitting in the garage, although the FFB motor shorted out due to a big pound on it in frustration on another matter, not racing), Now I'm on the big guns. (G25, for 3.5 years now)

LFS works perfectly with my friend's 10-year old Microsoft Sidewinder (No FFB, just a funky Centering spring.)
All my wheels have had 180 degrees turning lol. I just have to remember to put the steering sensitivity to 90 - 180 in LFS too, or it's a nightmare to drive
Then again, Logitechs G27's are so cheap nowaydays it's unbelievable.
I bought mine for roughly 230€....
I hope that was a joke, because that's not cheap IMO
they are cheap if u dont want crappy
LFS works with everything that has button sand connects to a PC, does anyone know if there is a maximum number of controller hardware one can use simultaneously? The old MS flight sims could be controlled with ten controllers maximum iirc.
Quote from The Very End :Agree with above.
Not to be picky, but the name is Logitech Driving Force EX (at least here in Norway).

The wheel is a cheap wheel, so it probally won't last that many years, but since it costs like 1/3 of the better wheels it's worth it.

Mine does still work, 2 years of abusing and counting

No, it is Logitech Formula Force EX. You have a different wheel, because the notes (or how do I call them) under the wheel says it is Formula Force EX.

FFX is only (I think) for PC. Your DFX is for PC, PS2 and maybe PS3.
Quote from The Very End :I hope that was a joke, because that's not cheap IMO

Trust me. for a wheel of that standard, it is very cheap. besides, prolly the cheapest i could find here in my town on a 5 minute walk.
Just wanted to point out for some guys - cheap is a very relative term! For someone who has 1000+€ income,200€ might feel easy to spend,but some doesn't have that much income though...

Anyway,all my cheap craps had 270° lock-to-lock,but the more I drive,the more I feel need for more degrees,as I feel my wheel too sensitive (even after configurating to lowest possible sensitivity). But that's a individual thing,I guess.
Quote from Sobis :No, it is Logitech Formula Force EX. You have a different wheel, because the notes (or how do I call them) under the wheel says it is Formula Force EX.

FFX is only (I think) for PC. Your DFX is for PC, PS2 and maybe PS3.

Ahh, bummer! Yup, mine is one of those damned combi wheels.
Still works tho

Quote from Dennis93 :Trust me. for a wheel of that standard, it is very cheap. besides, prolly the cheapest i could find here in my town on a 5 minute walk.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelokokokok, so I'll agree it's not expensive, but it's not cheapt either! :O
I mean for the same price I could buy some Nigerian hookers, some booze, a hotelrom for an evening.. well just say'ing
Quote from The Very End :I mean for the same price I could buy some Nigerian hookers, some booze, a hotelrom for an evening.. well just say'ing

With nigerian hookers comes free AIDS, pretty great deal if you ask me.
Quote from E.Reiljans :With nigerian hookers comes free AIDS, pretty great deal if you ask me.

Yeah, and don't forget the awesome STD's too! I mean, holy shit, it's like the Kinder Surprise - 3 things for the price of one!! :faint:

Logitech
The following is my history with Logitech wheels.

Driving Force - Stopped functioning after a couple of years.

Driving Force Pro - Potentiometers failed after a year. Kept replacing them until I got a G25.

G25 - Blew a MOSFET from being left on the floor

G27 - Now is easily as loud as my G25 was. More and more lash in the gears over time means louder and louder thuds/pops when going over bumps etc. Optical encoder failed last month. Started making a new noise this month. Has been randomly re-calibrating itself for three or four months.
The re-calibration thing is a race-ender. Unless you are fortunate enough to be at the beginning of a straight with a perfect heading, you won't even have enough time to switch to mouse before you need to spectate.
The new noise seems related to thermal expansion. I guess when they said to take breaks at a certain interval they really meant it.
With the exception of the Driving Force, the problems I've had are quite common.

For G25 owners considering a G27 purchase: Buy something else.
I'm saving for a higher quality wheel.

TLDR: Logitech cuts corners to keep the price down.
Here's mine:

DFP 2003-2006 - Received one replacement wheel for free from Logitech due to failed pedals after a years use. Kept re-lubricating the pedals on the second wheel and they lasted until I bought a G25. Never a problem with the actual wheel itself, and it lasted during my most active lfs years of hard drifting on either 720 or 900 degree modes. The wheel design itself was crap though.

G25 2007-2011 - The launch wheel started to get too loud for my taste after 6 months, so again I complained to Logi and they sent me a brand new one. That wheel is still in use today.

The simple fact is, there is currently no option for the average sim racer but the G-series wheels. Thrustmasters GT5 wheel has useless pedals (my teammate ended up using G25 pedals with it) even though it costs 600 euros and comes with no shifter of any kind. Thrustmaster had a chance to compete with Logitech in the high-end consumer steering wheel market, and they blew it hard.
Quote from Matrixi :The simple fact is, there is currently no option for the average sim racer but the G-series wheels.

How about Fanatec? ;P
Quote from E.Reiljans :How about Fanatec? ;P

How about fanatec?

It sucks. the wheels have no proper feel, imo.
Well, I'm absolutely happy with my fanatec set. Best pedals for the money, sturdy as a rock, also there's no need to recalibrate the wheel every 10 minutes while others pass me, I do not even have to call tech support because unlike Logitech my pedals and wheel haven't had any issues yet. Also my wheel is still as silent as in the beginning (maybe even more silent), shows no signs of wear, I can modify the pedals myself to fit my needs/feet in force and travel and don't have to cut squash balls in half, I don't need some stupid extra software other than the drivers....

All these things and the endless logitech G25 failure list in this forum drove me far away from buying logitech wheels.
And don't you say I just hate logitech, I've got a brilliant keyboard and mouse made by them!

greetz

der butz
Is anyone using that Thrustmaster wheel with 1080º rotation?
Could be the best wheel besides the G27...suffice to say I've had my G25 for 3 years, bought it second hand and it never gave me any problems (not yet anyway).

LFS Wheel Controllers
(57 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG