The online racing simulator
"Unblocking" the speedometer?
(41 posts, closed, started )
Is it truth that every car has blocked speedometer? I mean, the car with 220 kmh/140 mph, on it's speedometer can go only about 170 kmh/115 mph, so is it truth that it is possible to unblock the speedometer, so car can go 220 kmh/140mph for real, but then he only spends more fuel?
I heard that from my friend from school, but he knows a lot about cars, and he allready drown one. So, is that truth or it is just a dream/lie/imagination???
Thanks in advance :-)
It's pure nonsense, car's top speed depends on its engine power, gearing, aero and mechanical drag, but it has nothing to do at all with the dial on the speedo.
Quote from MadCatX :It's pure nonsense, car's top speed depends on its engine power, gearing, aero and mechanical drag, but it has nothing to do at all with the dial on the speedo.

Why then is on the speedo 220, and it goes only 175? That is stupid and ununderstandable!
MadCatX speaks the truth.

Some cars will have an electronic limiter installed on them, so they can only reach a specific speed. The big 3 Germans will limit their cars to 155mph electronically, but you can have the limiter removed or just raised. And some older cars used mechanical tuning to limit top speed.

But not every car has this luxury. My van has a gearbox that'd see it climb to 140mph, the dash runs upto 160mph, but the engine/aero can't let me get there.

A lot of Aston Martins read 250+mph, yet the vast majority struggle to break 190mph, the Corvette ZR1 goes all the way to 300mph. All I'll say here is good luck.

So in short, your mate is talking ballocks. They put on big figures just because it looks impressive.
A lot of jap cars are speed limited to 180kph.

Brothers soarer used to be limited to 180kph, digital dash would go to 180 and the car would cut so you couldn't go over it...it now hes a speedcut defender, it hits 180 and stays there but the car keeps pulling hard
I have a digital dash with three digits... it's in km/h... does this mean i can drive 999km/h if i unblock everything?!
Quote from Marin2 :Why then is on the speedo 220, and it goes only 175? That is stupid and ununderstandable!

Because the car manufacturers don't want to make different speedos for each car they produce. Most manufacturers let customer choose from multiple engines with different power which of course give the car different top speed. It'd be rather silly to make a speedo specific to a car/engine combo, now would it?
The extended range of speedo also acts as a sort of safety feature. If you drive a car flatout on a road that has a long downhill section, you can easily exceed the rated top speed by a few kms. Also, speedo usually shows a speed that a bit higher that the real speed of a car (approx by 10%). Again, its a safety feature.
Ok, ok...
But, explain me this:
on you tube- video of ford fiesta with 220 kmh on spedoo doing 220 kmh, then ople calibra with 30
doing 300, then peguot with 220 or 23
doing over 210?!! And other videos...
P.s. They are quite REAL
-
(hyntty) DELETED by hyntty
What's so weird about that? Some of those cars might have a swapped engine and I quite believe that a 1.6 Fiesta could reach a 200 km/h.

EDIT: I remember I once made the needle go off the speedo dial completely when I was driving brother's Daihatsu off a steep hill.
That with fiesta 1.4 is strange, because it's engine of 90hp, and for top speed of 220 kmh car must have at least 140 hp engine. And also calibra, for 250 kmh, wich should be it's top speed, car should have at least 280 hp, and for 300 at least 500 hp.
And that whit daihatsu is possible and logic and i belive it.
Quote from Agniz :

What should that photo mean?! I am not sure what do you want to say.
Only because the driver is mad he can't drive 200mph a fiat 500?!
What you want to say?
Are you a troll, or have you just discovered the interwebs?
Quote from jibber :Are you a troll, or have you just discovered the interwebs?

No, i am not a troll, really and honestly. And i am very sorry, but i won't lie you, i don't know what the interwebs are, really. :-(
Well, probably the second option then... don't worry, you'll catch up with the trends

As for the speeds, speedos exaggerate, some a bit, some a lot but there is no way any of those cars traveled at the speeds you saw on the speedo. The Fiesta (how do you know it had a 1.4 engine?) probably wasn't doing more than 200 km/h, same goes for the Peugeot. You need a GPS device to measure speed accurately. The Calibra was probably fitted with the Omega MV6 or Omega 3000 engine so I don't think it's unlikely for it to reach about 260 km/h.
Quote from Marin2 :
Only because the driver is mad he can't drive 200mph a fiat 500?!

So sig worthy.
Erm... It's not your speedo that limits your car's speed. :doh:
Quote from MadCatX :Well, probably the second option then... don't worry, you'll catch up with the trends

As for the speeds, speedos exaggerate, some a bit, some a lot but there is no way any of those cars traveled at the speeds you saw on the speedo. The Fiesta (how do you know it had a 1.4 engine?) probably wasn't doing more than 200 km/h, same goes for the Peugeot. You need a GPS device to measure speed accurately. The Calibra was probably fitted with the Omega MV6 or Omega 3000 engine so I don't think it's unlikely for it to reach about 260 km/h.

Yes, i hope i will catch up with the trends.
I totally raconised that fiesta, my dad has the same car, and it's speedoo was on 220 kmh, and peguot's (it was 206 or 207), over 210.
And about calibra, if you say so...it could be.
Quote from Töki (HUN) :Erm... It's not your speedo that limits your car's speed. :doh:

Yeah, i understand now, but there still stay some misterys like 90hp car doing 220kmp/h
Quote from Töki (HUN) :Erm... It's not your speedo that limits your car's speed. :doh:

It is!!! I know a guy who installed a speedometer from chinese scooter on his WRX and after that he couldn't go faster than 100km/h!
Quote from Agniz :It is!!! I know a guy who installed a speedometer from chinese scooter on his WRX and after that he couldn't go faster than 100km/h!

Well, well...now it looks that there is something in the mistery of speedoo unblocking :-)
:doh:
Quote from Marin2 :Yeah, i understand now, but there still stay some misterys like 90hp car doing 220kmp/h

how come it's a mystery? I used to own an ED6 Civic, that weigh like 800 kilos(mostly everything stripped, except the interior and the consoles, radio, A/C etc. etc.), with the D15B2 engine producing 94hp as new. I still managed to pull 212km/h on GPS, 220km/h on speedo.

Everything is not dependant on power only, weight factor is also one key.
#24 - Jakg
Quote from nikopdr :how come it's a mystery? I used to own an ED6 Civic, that weigh like 800 kilos(mostly everything stripped, except the interior and the consoles, radio, A/C etc. etc.), with the D15B2 engine producing 94hp as new. I still managed to pull 212km/h on GPS, 220km/h on speedo.

94 HP, 131 MPH?

Quote from Jakg :94 HP, 131 MPH?

Yes, it could be, with car of 800 kg. But that then means that speedometer isn't "blocked" at certain speed?!
This thread is closed

(41 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG