The online racing simulator
unbanning
(10 posts, started )
unbanning
Hi,

I'm having a problem unbanning someone who was banned a long time ago with "/ban name 999", I've tried the command "/unban name" also tried ban editor all to no avail, it's on our Demo server btw, any help would be appreciated.
#2 - Misko
I think "/unban name" does not work in demo (at least it didn't work when I tried before), and that you'd have to use ban editor. If your host is older version you'd have to close the host first before you can edit the bans.ban file with the ban editor, and then start the host again for changes to take effect. Handling of bans.ban file has been greatly improved only in patch U, so you better upgrade your demo host.
I checked on this yesterday: unbanning does not (currently) work in demo mode because the usernames are not unique and hence not recorded in the bans.ban file. Remember you are banning "/ban wreckernoob 99", but demo bans are by IP, not name.
#4 - SamH
Thanks guys for the info.
#6 - brasi
and how can i edit the list if i'm running my server on a Linux box with Wine??
#7 - SamH
Quote from brasi :and how can i edit the list if i'm running my server on a Linux box with Wine??

Run the ban editor in the Wine environment? I don't use Linux, and so I don't use Wine, but I thought it could run any Windows application that doesn't make certain fundamental system calls. I'd imagine that the ban editor would fit the description.
Quote from SamH :Run the ban editor in the Wine environment? I don't use Linux, and so I don't use Wine, but I thought it could run any Windows application that doesn't make certain fundamental system calls. I'd imagine that the ban editor would fit the description.

Thats fine.. as long as you're running an X server. If theres no X server, then you're screwed. Considering most linux servers don't run the X server (as they don't display graphics)...

Quote from brasi :and how can i edit the list if i'm running my server on a Linux box with Wine??

Now an interesting idea would be to do X over SSH forwarding, and assuming you're running X on your desktop (or whatever machine you're connecting from), thats not a problem and you can run the ban editor on the server, and display the GUI on your desktop. However, I have the feeling the BanEditor requires .NET, which means the server will require Mono (which eats huge amounts of memory). In my opinion that would make this a non-starter.

But, considering you need to shutdown LFS first, before you edit the ban file, just scp the file from your linux server to your desktop edit the file, and scp it back, and restart the server. Sorted, and in a way that avoid any mono or x forwarding "fun". I'd use this as my main route. If your main PC is a windows machine, I'd recommend WinSCP as a useful tool.
#9 - SamH
Any way to retrieve the bans.ban file, edit it in a Windows environment, and then FTP it back into position?

[edit]Damn I'm not reading properly. I glaze over when you start talking Linux, X server, yada yada.. small point though, you don't need to shut down an LFS server while editing the bans.ban file any more. Now you can edit it on the fly.. and the results are instantly effective when you save it back.
Quote from SamH :[edit]Damn I'm not reading properly. I glaze over when you start talking Linux, X server, yada yada.. small point though, you don't need to shut down an LFS server while editing the bans.ban file any more. Now you can edit it on the fly.. and the results are instantly effective when you save it back.

Ah ha. Interesting. That I didn't know. In that case, an SCP / FTP copy back to a Windows machine is still an effective method

unbanning
(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG