The online racing simulator
A low fuel indicator light
(58 posts, started )
#1 - GabbO
A low fuel indicator light + replay features
I think thats a very simple, and very useful thing...
Ok, it doesn't happens very often that i forget to refuel, BUT when it
happens, it's very frustrating

Sorry if it was requested already a lot of times, didnt found it in the search

UPDATE: It would be also nice, if we could reverse/stop in replays and jump to a certain position
I agree, modern cars do have it, dunno about the race cars, but atleast the TBO class and so like should have it.
Quote from MyBoss :I agree, modern cars do have it, dunno about the race cars, but atleast the TBO class and so like should have it.

Modern race cars dont have one, drivers have a pit-crew who start shouting in there headsets they are running out of fuel
#4 - GabbO
But we don't have a pit crew.. But they could realise it that way
The road cars should have it anyway
How come I haven't seen anyone starting to yell about those race cars don't have it? Last time I suggested this I regretted it. Would love this to be added, cause I really don't keep my eye on the meter.

And if you wanna go all like race cars don't have it... well... most race cars don't have the street counterparts interior either.
#6 - Vain
Most racecars do have a fuel indicator because they are just stripped down stock cars and the gauges and warning lights are still the same. ("Oh my god! That indicator light weights 5 gramm! We won't be competitive with such a heavy car!!!")

Though I personally drove a racecar without a low-fuel-indicator. But that was just because in '87 fuel-indicator-lights where for whimps who couldn't count .

But that indicator light isn't high on the priority list. We've got F12.

Vain
Quote from Bluebird B B :Modern race cars dont have one, drivers have a pit-crew who start shouting in there headsets they are running out of fuel

Maybe, but the TBO class is just regular cars, not race cars ;-)
I'd like to see a tad more realism in the way the car runs out of fuel instead of what we have now, where you just run out instantly and that's it, game over.. If you've driven a real car you'll know (after a couple of days of ignoring the fuel warning light because petrol's AUD1.40/L) that it'll stutter a bit when fuel is really low, and if you nurse it you can go a few more miles before it runs out completely (and hopefully make it to a servo). This may only be applicable to road cars (I've not driven a GTR or F1 lately ) but having at least a sporting chance of getting to the pits on low fuel in a road car would be nice.
Hankstar, I runed out of fuel some weeks ago. (right next to the pump, lol) And I didn't notice any of those symptoms, I'm driving a Mazda 626 83mod.
err, what makes you think that you will notice the warning light if you now don't notice the gauge showing empty tank? not to mention that in 90% of races (public) you will always run with the warning light on...
I would, cause it looks nearly the same if you have 10 or 2% left.
Of course, if implemented, it should have a switch to set up when it should be lit up. Usually i would set it to a level, where i have only fuel for 1-2 laps left. The problem is that i usually have F9 swithed on, to control the temps,
and sometimes i'm so concentrated, i forget that i have to refuel. I usually race(d) in championships with 1 hour or even longer races, so it's easy to forget it.

I hope the devs will read this, i think the suggestion is sane enough to be implemented as an option.

Summarised:
- a low fuel warning light for at least road cars
- an option to turn it off, if someone doesn't likes it...
- a slide, where you can set up, at what percentage it should be activated

Thanks
Quote from GabbO :...
UPDATE: It would be also nice, if we could reverse/stop in replays and jump to a certain position

we already can stop replays. just press P
hmm it would be nice to have the warning light come up at first in turns (or braking/acceleratin) depending on where the sensor is located
imagine racing, then the light blips lightly in one or 2 turns... then the blip becomes longer and longer, you begin to see it in other turns too, until you see the light on all the time... dreams on...
To be even more correct, the formula cars should have a fuel indicator in two modes
1: fuel level in Liters
2: fuel level in laps left

I definitly prefer the second one, because the first one is really useless if the choice 2 is implemented. Grand Prix 2 already meassured fuel load in laps, worked very very good and much easier. Also you should be able to order the pit crew to fill up the car to do x number of lap+1 reserve.

Calculating how much fuel you need to make it to next stop or to finish the race is something real world formula drivers never have to do. Thats the engineers job. In this case, the job of the lfs-engine
I agree, this would be a good idea
a modern road car with that computer telemetry thingie will kill the engine flat if theres only a few drops left in the fuel line...which the physics of the LFS cars act exactly similar...
#17 - Jakg
did it?
Quote from Jakg :did it?

The FOX, FO8 and BF1 have the amount of fuel left in Litres and how many laps that could last for, but no warning light in the road cars
Quote from Hankstar :I'd like to see a tad more realism in the way the car runs out of fuel instead of what we have now, where you just run out instantly and that's it, game over.. If you've driven a real car you'll know (after a couple of days of ignoring the fuel warning light because petrol's AUD1.40/L) that it'll stutter a bit when fuel is really low, and if you nurse it you can go a few more miles before it runs out completely (and hopefully make it to a servo). This may only be applicable to road cars (I've not driven a GTR or F1 lately ) but having at least a sporting chance of getting to the pits on low fuel in a road car would be nice.

ok let me explain something
cars fuel tanks arnt like a funnel the fuel moves around so lets say the pump is on the right side when u go around a right corner all the fuel flows to the left same thing happends when breaking or accelrating fuel moves around and if your really low on fuel this can cause the pump to suck in air pockets and then u get the car trying to stall.

Now This dosent happen in all road cars Some Road cars are fitted with a factory swivel tank/surge tank to prevent air pokets geting into the injectors Most race cars have this and even MY 86 commodore has a factory Surge tank.

so unless the devs can code the way the fuel moves when g force is applyed i dont think their is a point in having the car run out of fuel differntly cause it will just be the same every time and still be unrealistic

but low fuel waring would be easy to code and usefull to make it feel a little more real
I am agree with this idea. When I race I use internal view and I see the fuel gauge too small, so I have to put external camera in the line strights to see it properly
A warning light or sound will be nice, then can you still press F12 to look how much fuel is yet in the tank and how far suffice the fuel yet. A second red colored fuel meter for slow fuel will be nice, then is F12 watching not needed.
Quote from Bluebird B B :Modern race cars dont have one, drivers have a pit-crew who start shouting in there headsets they are running out of fuel

Wrong, some modern race cars DO have an low fuel light indicator.

See also this:
http://www.gto.eu/videodisp.ph ... 1&cache=no&id=309
one problem, it is a dutch movie. Driver is telling about al the lights and buttons. The big red light/lookalikebutton with text saying SPARE FUEL under it, is the indicator. It is at 3 minute 19 seconds.

So now lfs crew, give us low fuel light indicators in all cars!!!

edit: at 3:28 the driver is saying clearly SPARE FUEL
+1 for a warning of any descript in the GUI, and an indicator instrument in cars where appropriate. The indicator on the GUI is realistic as it can represent either a warning light OR your crew radioing you. I highly doubt there's a racing series out there that would not warn the driver in one way or another that they are almost out of fuel.

Just enough time to get into the pits would put an end to most of the unrealistic scenarios where cars stop in the middle of the track soooo often (especially when race length has recently been increased).
as a side note, how funny would it be if you could swerve your car to pickup the last drops of fuel to get your spluttering car to the finish line? lol...
race cars(or atleast nascar) doesnt have fuel gauges, much less lights.

nor spedo's for that matter.

A low fuel indicator light
(58 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG