The online racing simulator
Airflow questions.
(5 posts, started )
Airflow questions.
Okay, so i realized something in regards of my case and airflow. So i have a 120mm fan in the front sucking in the air and obviously the rear exhaust fan blowing it out. Then i realized my top fan. I have it sucking air in yet my ram is still in the high 90's F (with heat spreaders). Is my top fan (120mm) basically messing with the airflow of the front and exhaust fan? Surely the top fan is sucking in fresh cool air for the CPU heatsink to take in however am i correct? I'm getting low 90's F with the stock heatsink, so something good must be happening.

EDIT: Checked the inside whilst running. Case isn't exactly Arctic conditions, but it's cool. PSU However is really hot. I thought a 650w would be good enough for me. Guess i was wrong.

EDIT 2: Realized that there is almost zero clearance on the carpet and my case. This would probably be the reason for a overheating PSU?
The top fan should be blowing out, and not sucking in. Why? Hot air goes up, so it has to be pushed out.

edit: if your PSU's fan is facing downwards, and your PSU is on the bottom of your case it might be good to have some clearance indeed. My PSU also is on the bottom, but I have around 1-2CM gap from the ground. Maybe it's worth checking the fan of your PSU for dust.
Quote from Bose321 :The top fan should be blowing out, and not sucking in. Why? Hot air goes up, so it has to be pushed out.

edit: if your PSU's fan is facing downwards, and your PSU is on the bottom of your case it might be good to have some clearance indeed. My PSU also is on the bottom, but I have around 1-2CM gap from the ground. Maybe it's worth checking the fan of your PSU for dust.

Wait what? My PSU is mounted on the bottom with the fan facing up... Is it supposed to be facing down? I thought that would overheat it...
Mine only can be mounted this way because of the screws. PSU's are meant to be fitted one way; fan down. Like I said before: the hot air goes up. That means the PSU should be facing the ground because it sucks the air there, and hot air goes out the rear. Just watch for any dust, and for enough clearance from the ground. You don't need meters of space, my case is about the width of my fingers from the ground
Okay issue fixed. The PSU's fan wasn't spinning for whatever reason and a loose wire may have been the culprit. All i did when i opened my PSU was take a gander and source the psu fan's connector base merely think about buying a new psu.

Put everything back together (cable management doing no end of pain on my fingers) and test ran the setup to see the psu fan working again. RAM temps dropped to high 70's due to changing my top fan's direction and possibly stopping the massive amounts of heat from the psu. Thanks bose.

Also mounted my PC on my desk with some old textbooks as platforms. Should help me with my body heat issue while racing

Airflow questions.
(5 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG