The online racing simulator
Quote from pik_d :What is the problem with someone taking as much time as they want?

Because the car running on worn tires is faster than the one on new ones.
If you have a WR set in such a way then it doesn't mean that you are the fastest one in the world. It usually means others won't be bothered to spend an hour cruising just to be able to set a faster time, so the whole picture won't be accurate
pik_d :

The problem is that if people have do do all sorts of crazy things to be competitive, then you can't be competitive without doing those crazy things.

So for example if it takes half an hour and several pit stops to get the car into a state where you can get a world record, then this is quite a problem. We don't want people to have to do that. This is about getting in your car and doing a fast lap. Ideally that's what it would be. The hotlap tables are supposed to show who can drive the fastest lap, not who is patient enough to exploit flaws in the physics system that can be exploited in a one hour replay.

Victor's point about not limiting the time is that really, LFS physics should be realistic enough that a car should be best when it is fresh, warmed up but not worn out. At the moment, LFS physics isn't quite producing this outcome. But we hope that in future it will.
Quote from sermilan :Because the car running on worn tires is faster than the one on new ones.
If you have a WR set in such a way then it doesn't mean that you are the fastest one in the world. It usually means others won't be bothered to spend an hour cruising just to be able to set a faster time, so the whole picture won't be accurate

Yes but:
Quote from pik_d :If someone else isn't willing to take advantage of the way LFS' tire physics currently work (faster at the end of a stint than the beginning) then that's their own issue, not the other guys.

and
Quote from pik_d :but it's just as "bad" as people using unrealistic setups to go faster, and everyone does that too.

The purpose of hotlapping is to go as fast as you can with the conditions you're given. It's good that Scawen is changing the conditions regarding the rough wall riding, because that was "legitimate" yet widely seen as unsportsmanlike. Spending time scrubbing your tires... well... do you get mad at people who set their fastest laps at the end of their stint in a race? In F1 this year it's really clear when the tires are fastest, even though they're carrying more fuel the fastest laps are set at the beginning of their final stint, not the end when their tanks are empty (which is how it is with LFS).
Quote from Scawen :Apparently you haven't uploaded any hotlaps, so your opinion isn't worth that much.

I've uploaded 82 hotlaps between May of 09 and April of this year. They're all still up, I don't have any world records but I'm in the top 10 in the XRG and FOX ranks.
Quote from pik_d :I've uploaded 82 hotlaps between May of 09 and April of this year. They're all still up, I don't have any world records but I'm in the top 10 in the XRG and FOX ranks.

Sorry about that, I did the wrong search string. I'll edit my post.
Quote from pik_d :Edit2: The replays even tell you what lap the fastest lap was done on, so you can pretty easily figure out how far to skip ahead in the replay. I really think the people complaining are worried that someone will spend an hour scrubbing tires (this happens in real life doesn't it? Just not the same way) and "steal" their WR, but aren't willing to put in the time to take it back under the same legitimate conditions. As JPeace says, hopefully the new tire physics will be more realistic (really worn tires = slower) so this won't even be an issue then, but it's just as "bad" as people using unrealistic setups to go faster, and everyone does that too.

Firstly, using a slider to move a long way into a replay still takes time, as (sadly) it seems that the SPR files don't have any checkpoints - on my PC skipping a long way into a replay can take tens of seconds. Not nice if you want to watch a particular corner a few times. But that's a side issue. The worn tyres thing is just massively obnoxious, legal and all as it is. To have to do that to match times with somebody is simply not fun. To have a set that's a bit crazy doesn't waste 20 minutes of my time, even if it's unrealistic (which setup aspects are unrealistic btw?).

Quote from J@tko :Exactly. You've got a much smaller surface area so less friction. It's just like if you're on ice - give yourself a push on ice skates and you'll go miles, but if you're on trainers then you won't go very far at all. Hence also why higher tyre pressure = bigger top speed - the higher pressure opposes the mass of the car on the tyre thus it keeps its shape better, making it thinner giving you a higher top speed

Mmm, drifting off topic here but a quick reply (let's start another thread if you disagree with me ) is that while high pressure means less rolling resistance (less deformation), less tread thickness does not mean less surface area or friction. Contact patch area is more or less entirely decided by tyre pressure. I guess the most likely candidate (since Scawen sadly didn't answer this bit :shy is that it's just plain unphysical; another flaw in the old tyre physics.

Edit:
* Ah, I see in a recent post that Scawen implies it is indeed a physics flaw
* I don't feel really strongly about removing pitstops or having time limits btw - the point has already been made that the problem will sort itself out once the tyre physics is updated.
Quote from Scawen :While I'm at it, does anyone know of any walls that you can hit hard without triggering HLVC?

Meaning, they have the wrong surface type and can be used to slow you down - if so, it might be possible for me to detect that wall and change its surface type.

I'm not a hotlapper, and the following are not wall hits, but maybe they can be checked since you are working on the topic of hotlapping; am sorry if this is not relevant and simply a waste of time.

---

Discussions from the following thread:
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=1422447#post1422447

Quote from pik_d :Some have been mentioned but here's all I can think of:
  • Hitting the wall at SO3's final corner
  • Driving on the apron at KY1/r and KY2/r (check KY2R FBM WR)
  • Cutting Green curbs (the one here and the fast chicane) at KY3
  • Button clutch

KY3/r areas which apparently don't trigger the HLVC.
Quote from cargame.nl :
http://s730.photobucket.com/al ... &current=de35acf0.pbw

Explain that

Quote from Scawen :pik_d :

The problem is that if people have do do all sorts of crazy things to be competitive, then you can't be competitive without doing those crazy things.

So for example if it takes half an hour and several pit stops to get the car into a state where you can get a world record, then this is quite a problem. We don't want people to have to do that. This is about getting in your car and doing a fast lap. Ideally that's what it would be. The hotlap tables are supposed to show who can drive the fastest lap, not who is patient enough to exploit flaws in the physics system that can be exploited in a one hour replay.

Victor's point about not limiting the time is that really, LFS physics should be realistic enough that a car should be best when it is fresh, warmed up but not worn out. At the moment, LFS physics isn't quite producing this outcome. But we hope that in future it will.

The same reasoning applies to pit stops, if the new physics come out right then there will be no point in doing pit stops just the same as there will be no point in spending an hour on the same tires.

Thanks for editing that post.
Pre-weared tyres with a temperature we can choose (like 5-10° less than optimum to start the lap) is the best for doing hotlaps... (it will avoid 20 laps replay for WR with small cars, and 360° at 150km/h to heat up the tyres...)
I could not agree more on South City crazy wall-riding replays that have nothing to do with racing ...
Pit-stops .... hum ... of course not in hotlaps please

addendum :
pre-launched car before the main straight crossing the starting line (or the corner before) could be good too if possible (I mean not too hard) to implement ...
Hotlaps should only be valid when its driven between the white lines. I mean no apron, no green fields on KY3, no excessive curbing... simply !2 wheels must stay on track!, that is usual in all motorsport series.

I know that all tracks need an update then, but i just wanted to give my 2 cents on it
Quote from Scawen :I don't want to add more than one slider - I just want to keep things simple to get the patch out as soon as possible.

Anyway I have changed it so it goes from -30 to +30 (relative to optimum temperature).

Just to double check I'm understanding this right.. Situation: front tires R2, rear tires R3 (lfs knows optimum temps are 85 and 100), one slider for all 4 tires.. how does one make the R3's 5°C above optimum and R2's 10°C below optimum?

Or did you just mean no for the individual sliders for each tire, but keeping the front/rear as 2 separate sliders (at least if different compounds are mounted on each axle)?
Just on the off-chance I get lucky. Racing line in hotlap mode please?
Quote from Seb66 :Just on the off-chance I get lucky. Racing line in hotlap mode please?

Read you Jabba, he just said that you can now place objects, ie chalk/markers, in hotlap mode :rolleyes:
Quote from scipy :Just to double check I'm understanding this right.. Situation: front tires R2, rear tires R3 (lfs knows optimum temps are 85 and 100), one slider for all 4 tires.. how does one make the R3's 5°C above optimum and R2's 10°C below optimum?

Or did you just mean no for the individual sliders for each tire, but keeping the front/rear as 2 separate sliders (at least if different compounds are mounted on each axle)?

No, just one slider in total, so you can't put some above optimum and others below optimum.
Must've missed that from earlier - but would you still allow full layout control of non-lfs world hotlaps? Would be useful for doing hotlaps on open configs. Ignore me if I'm talking shite.
Quote from Scawen :I'll finish the code to support that. I think that where it says "HLVC" in the top right it will say "CUSTOM" if there is anything more than a start position added. That automatically covers custom lap timing (for open configurations). It will say "INVALID" if there is no lap timing enabled or you are on a single stage track (Drag Strip).

Reading saves lives.
Quote from Scawen :No, just one slider in total, so you can't put some above optimum and others below optimum.

OK, kinda defeats the purpose for most gtr cars (FWDs usually have very cold rear tires.. that's where + would be usefull, and the mentioned GT2 setups for GTR class), maybe we can get you to reconsider separating front and rear axles? Pretty please?
In hotlaps very rarely used for the class of GTR slicks r3 - r2
Quote from scipy :ok, kinda defeats the purpose for most gtr cars (fwds usually have very cold rear tires.. That's where + would be usefull, and the mentioned gt2 setups for gtr class), maybe we can get you to reconsider separating front and rear axles? pretty please?

+1
Quote from [Audi TT] :In hotlaps very rarely used for the class of GTR slicks r3 - r2

Not true.

UFR, XFR, FXR (all being R3 front and R2 rear), and FZR (R2 front, R3 rear). So it is quite needed actually.
-
(kamo2000) DELETED by kamo2000 : forget it
Quote from scipy :OK, kinda defeats the purpose for most gtr cars (FWDs usually have very cold rear tires.. that's where + would be usefull, and the mentioned GT2 setups for GTR class), maybe we can get you to reconsider separating front and rear axles? Pretty please?

Left and right wheels also...
Right, I've put it in the setup now instead of it being a global setting.

There's a front and rear tyre warmer setting in the Tyres section in the Garage.

You just set the absolute temperature from 20 to 120. Old setups load with the warmers set to the optimum temperature.
Quote from Scawen :Right, I've put it in the setup now instead of it being a global setting.

There's a front and rear tyre warmer setting in the Tyres section in the Garage.

You just set the absolute temperature from 20 to 120. Old setups load with the warmers set to the optimum temperature.

That makes sense with the absolute temps, and moving them to setups is also a good idea.

Not that my opinion counts due to lack of uploads, but the front rear/individual settings are taking it a bit too far. I thought the whole idea of this was to dispense with the protracted tyre warming period? There is still scope to get the tyres where the driver wants from a global start point after all. It is nice however that you have considered the requirements, and I hope that testing will show that individual tyres will not need setting.

[Edit]
While I admire the patience some people have had with getting their tyres "just right" before setting a lap. It is actually the reason I have never uploaded. I simply don't have the time or patience to go through all of that, so concentrate on simple warming. Scawen's "Warmed up, not worn out" is very much how I approach hotlapping
[/edit]
Quote from Scawen :While I'm at it, does anyone know of any walls that you can hit hard without triggering HLVC?

Quote from Squelch :Not a wall, but I have recently missed my turn in at the chicane at We1 in a BF1...

Quote from Dygear :Holy mother, that would be a pretty cool replay.

I was just experimenting with tyres and did it again. Not quite so well pulled off, and I aborted, but I did get the the replay which clearly shows HVLC was not triggered.

I'm guessing Scawens request was for objects that can be hit without triggering, and probably relates to the recent collision changes. Also it seems to happen at Kyoto, and might require track changes. Please ignore this if this is the case. SPR included for completeness.
Attached files
Squelch_WE1_BF1_3.spr - 14.8 KB - 331 views

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG