The online racing simulator
Didnt see the topic before but...
Quote from Scawen :OK, I've done the slider bar, you can choose between 20 and zero below optimum.

Yes, slider is a good option.
Preheating the tyres to optimum temperature it isnt because sometimes we want to start the lap with cold tyres.

Thank you very much Scawen
...considering myself a 99.7% hotlapping user of LFS nowadays, I'd love to try the planned changes in hotlap mode.

My opinion: It must not be possible to upload hotlaps with preset tyre temps !

But it would really simplify a quick hotlap training session!

I really appreciate that something new is about to come for us hotlappers!!!

edit: how about adding another slider bar - for the hotlap starting point, moving an indicator dot in the small map...
Quote :i really appreciate that something new is about to come for us hotlappers!!!

+100500
I'm pleased you like the changes.
Quote from rediske :...considering myself a 99.7% hotlapping user of LFS nowadays, I'd love to try the planned changes in hotlap mode.

My opinion: It must not be possible to upload hotlaps with preset tyre temps !

I don't know why you say that, it just eliminates all that tyre heating business, which is not really the point of hotlapping. I can only see that as a good thing.
Quote from rediske :edit: how about adding another slider bar - for the hotlap starting point, moving an indicator dot in the small map...

SHIFT+U... edit... S

You can now add a start point wherever you want. Just don't invalidate your HLVC between that point and the finish line (where the lap starts).
Quote from Squelch :The way I understand it is objects are allowed to be placed in HL mode, but the lap cannot be uploaded. I see them as a good training aid, but would be dissapointed if someone used a ramp to cut a corner and not trigger HLVC for a WR

They can be uploaded. You just can't hit any objects or touch them with your tyres.
Quote from Scawen :
EDIT : It turned out too important to do the slider bar, so I have done that now. Thanks for the feedback.

Well, actually, as you did this slider-thing:
You might want to consider to do the same thing on all occasions (is that spelled correctly?!)

This might be a nice thing e.g. for one- or two-shot qualifications in leagues
While I'm at it, does anyone know of any walls that you can hit hard without triggering HLVC?

Meaning, they have the wrong surface type and can be used to slow you down - if so, it might be possible for me to detect that wall and change its surface type.
Quote from Scawen :EDIT : It turned out too important to do the slider bar, so I have done that now. Thanks for the feedback.

Nice.

EDIT: Each tire individual temp. or?
Quote from Scawen :While I'm at it, does anyone know of any walls that you can hit hard without triggering HLVC?

Meaning, they have the wrong surface type and can be used to slow you down - if so, it might be possible for me to detect that wall and change its surface type.

yes. track so3.Watch replay.When you hit the wall has been improved sector 2 and the circle was credited.
Attached files
[Audi TT]_SO3_FXR_03304.spr - 30.8 KB - 387 views
Quote from Scawen :While I'm at it, does anyone know of any walls that you can hit hard without triggering HLVC?

Not a wall, but I have recently missed my turn in at the chicane at We1 in a BF1, realising I wouldn't make it, steered to the right of the tyre stack to avoid damage and I was very surprised to find hitting the kerb launched the car clear of the gravel trap, and did not trigger HVLC. In fact I binned it at the next complex looking up to see if I really had gotten away with it. Sadly I omitted to save the replay, and haven't been able to reproduce the exact same line.

It was this incident that prompted my ramp comment earlier, and I'm sorry I don't have proof yet, but your question compelled me to report it nonetheless.
Quote from Scawen :I don't know why you say that, it just eliminates all that tyre heating business, which is not really the point of hotlapping. I can only see that as a good thing.

Just my 2 cents about starting tire temperatures: I agree that for road cars (especially STD class), the tire temperatures should be closer to 45-50°C, but on the other hand, if you are starting a hotlap on AS5 with a GTR class car, even the current 65°C (which is 20 below optimum of 85) for R2 tires is kind of high as tires will reach melting temperatures by the end of the lap.

Also, hotlap setups are generally made with very high cambers which means if you start the tire warming procedure (which isn't really a problem in the mentioned GTR class) on your outlap, you will be entering the hotlap with inside layer of tire already several degrees warmer than middle and outside. But I'm guessing the new system would warm up all of the compound and the air inside the tire to the selected temperature.

This coupled with the choice of starting position could be a solution to the GTR/R2 tires melting, but I'm still off the opinion some wider choice of starting temperature should be given. In fact, I can imagine scenarios where one would actually want to start a hotlap with tire temperatures above the optimum (situations like FBM where R1 and R2 compounds are a bit missmatched, or GT2 style setups where you have R3 tires on the rear and R2 tires on front etc).

Maybe give us a week in the test patch to try +-30° around the optimum, but I don't see how it'd hurt to have more choice over less..

P.S. In the spirit of cooperation I really don't want to be a nag, but before the tyre physics patch comes out you should re-think the tire compounds a bit (in a sense that R3 shouldn't be the same for BF1, FZR and UFR.. It should have the same optimal temperature, but it should be compounded differently and acquire/lose heat in a slightly different way from car to car).
Quote from Scawen :
EDIT : It turned out too important to do the slider bar, so I have done that now. Thanks for the feedback.

Decision made already? In that case - I approve!
scipe, I do not think need week for testing. Theoretically, we know how to reacts tire when heated. Just need change the temperature of the front and rear wheels separately, but better for the 4 wheels separately.
Quote from [Audi TT] :Theoretically, we know how to reacts tire when heated.

We don't. Have you tried letting a R3 tire cool down to ambient temp and then drive on it? I'd rather test than guess.
I don't want to add more than one slider - I just want to keep things simple to get the patch out as soon as possible.

Anyway I have changed it so it goes from -30 to +30 (relative to optimum temperature).
SciPy, not tried.
Quote from Scawen :I don't want to add more than one slider - I just want to keep things simple to get the patch out as soon as possible.

Anyway I have changed it so it goes from -30 to +30 (relative to optimum temperature).

That works for me.

Having all 4 tyres at a known temp doesn't prevent a driver from selectively warming pairs I suppose. Also the different compounds will react differently, so gives some more scope for refining I would guess.

I've searched, but not found a definitive answer. Does tyre temp affect pressures? I know it works the other way round, but have always assumed that a hotter tyre is at a higher pressure. for some irrational reason I'm doubting it now.
Agree with scipy on the "slick" cars aspects and testing.

Also, this is more of a question of how hotlapping should be defined. Should drivers be allowed to drive and wear down the tires and then do a hotlap? With the tires wore down the car is lighter etc which allows for faster laptimes.

Should this be restricted in some way?

Define hard! The question should be written without the word 'hard' in it, but one can dream..
I watched 6 South City hotlaps, 3 should be invalid IMHO. I remember being told that the physics calculations in LFS run only 100 Hz or smth and therefore such cheating in hotlapping is generally accepted.

http://www.lfsworld.net/get_spr.php?file=47382 just before 1st split time
http://www.lfsworld.net/get_spr.php?file=33717 twice before the 1st split time
http://www.lfsworld.net/get_spr.php?file=34090 just before the 2nd split time

One of the wall contacts shows visible bodywork damage, so I think it qualifies as 'hard'.

It's been awhile since my last hotlapping session, but I remember being quite disappointed with the fact that LFSWorld allows uploading replays with wall contact while I tried to keep my hotlaps clean as possible. It's midnight here, somewhere in a forest, with little or now internet and you really can't ask for players to go every hotlap out there!? Or you were expecting the WR holders to show their own hotlaps where they cheated (IMHO)?
It's not a wall but directly after split 2 of fe3 you can drive on the inside grass and it's doesn't do anything
Quote from Squelch :Sadly I omitted to save the replay, and haven't been able to reproduce the exact same line.

Holy mother, that would be a pretty cool replay.
Quote from Squelch :I've searched, but not found a definitive answer. Does tyre temp affect pressures? I know it works the other way round, but have always assumed that a hotter tyre is at a higher pressure. for some irrational reason I'm doubting it now.

Found it.
Quote from Scawen :Pressure already varies with temperature (of course).

It's only a few psi difference when the tyre gets quite a lot hotter.

The absolute pressure (relative to a vacuum) is proportional to absolute temperature (relative to absolute zero = -273 degrees C).

Quote from Dygear :Holy mother, that would be a pretty cool replay.

Yes.
It went something like this.
Almost crashed, skipped the trap, still on track, OMG!, double check, out brake myself, Damn!, Shift+R, Facepalm - I should have saved that.
I noticed on some SO layouts where i've grinded against the wall and it hasn't triggered a invalid lap, but if anything i rather see for HL'ing is the implementation of the secondary classes such as GT2 and etc. It would make it easier for leagues to follow "you must be this percent of WR to enter".

As for the Hotlap layouts, i don't see how that will work. The Charts may get real messy.
A lot of South City wall collisions got past HLVC but they won't any more because I've included the wheel hub contact point in the count. The problem was where the kerbs were high, the lower bodywork was hitting the kerb rather than the wall, so not enough body was touching the wall. With the wheel centre contacts included, it triggers HLVC reliably.

Quote from Sueycide_FD :As for the Hotlap layouts, i don't see how that will work. The Charts may get real messy.

It's the same charts, only you might see the person started from a different position than default, because they placed a start position, or maybe they would put some cones in a few places.
Quote from Sueycide_FD :snip
if anything i rather see for HL'ing is the implementation of the secondary classes such as GT2 and etc. It would make it easier for leagues to follow "you must be this percent of WR to enter".

+1 , Have the generic GT2 class implemented as a "car" would allow for more wr's to
Quote from rediske :My opinion: It must not be possible to upload hotlaps with preset tyre temps !

Quote from Scawen :I don't know why you say that, it just eliminates all that tyre heating business, which is not really the point of hotlapping. I can only see that as a good thing.

It is a good thing, I appreciate it and I will use the new feature happily.

I just thought that if you want the 'glory' of having your hotlap uploaded to lfs-world, one should do the tyre warming manually...

Just my personal opinion.

Spinoff : Question for Hotlappers
(204 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG