The online racing simulator
Quote from aroX123 :Currently at 170 total passes THIS year is half the passes of the entire 2010 season (dry races)

and we are allready matching 2005's season (dry races)

And average passes per GP in 2010 was 21.3 and currently this year its at 56.7

Info taken from: http://cliptheapex.com/communi ... s/formula-one-overtaking/

These stats are amazing.

Jeez, what's that mentality in motorracing these days? The more passes there is the better it is hmm? So obviously Jarama 1981, Monaco 1992, Imola 2005 and 2006 must have been uber dull pissing races.

Can't wait until F1 moves to ovals, and implements a system locking to 1st gear anyone being followed by less than 5 seconds.
I understand that mentality. I think KERS adds more of an evenbalance, because it's more strategy based but I think DRS needs to have a reduced effectiveness or maybe even a limited useage timer, or better yet, instead of a 1second gap (that before the season we all assumed would be difficult) introduce a 0.3 gap or something.
DRS is a retarded system because of the artificial, non-technical limitations imposed on it. Why can't the defending driver use it? Why is the boundary exactly 1 second and not any other value, and why can it be used in one specific part of the track which is determined by some arbitrary measure? It's idiotic, and doesn't add any true value to the sport. If we were to believe Alonso, and why wouldn't we, tyre management has a far more significant effect on an overtake for position, so why is DRS even there then?

KERS isn't quite as stupid, but the usage-left bar going slowly to nil and then magically going back to 100% again requires some serious suspension of disbelief. If the system is actually recovering something during the whole lap, it's only logical that the bar should rise accordingly and that it would be up to the driver to manage it such that there is enough left when it's needed for defending, an overtake or an in/outlap push.
Quote from NotAnIllusion :
KERS isn't quite as stupid, but the usage-left bar going slowly to nil and then magically going back to 100% again requires some serious suspension of disbelief. If the system is actually recovering something during the whole lap, it's only logical that the bar should rise accordingly and that it would be up to the driver to manage it such that there is enough left when it's needed for defending, an overtake or an in/outlap push.

That's not a problem with FOM that's a problem with your OCD.
Quote from NotAnIllusion :DRS is a retarded system because of the artificial, non-technical limitations imposed on it. Why can't the defending driver use it? Why is the boundary exactly 1 second and not any other value, and why can it be used in one specific part of the track which is determined by some arbitrary measure? It's idiotic, and doesn't add any true value to the sport. If we were to believe Alonso, and why wouldn't we, tyre management has a far more significant effect on an overtake for position, so why is DRS even there then?

It definitely is artificial, I won't argue with that, but in answer to your question, imo DRS is for the times when the cars are evenly matched. In such circumstances dirty air meant it was very rare for a chasing car to challenge for a pass, but with this boost he might get a chance.
Getting a good KERS system working could provide a decent defence to DRS
Quote from Mustafur :Getting a good KERS system working could provide a decent defence to DRS

How so, when the overtaking driver can use KERS + DRS?
Quote from DeadWolfBones :How so, when the overtaking driver can use KERS + DRS?

Magic Paddle of course!

I think they should really limit the use of DRS, its not "real" racing anymore since the slower car in front does not have any opportunity to defend. Yes, we have seen many overtakings, but they are not in any way interesting to watch at since they just pass on the straight.. Get good KERS yes! but remove DRS or at least limit the use of it..
Quote from Flingoko :Magic Paddle of course!

I think they should really limit the use of DRS, its not "real" racing anymore since the slower car in front does not have any opportunity to defend. Yes, we have seen many overtakings, but they are not in any way interesting to watch at since they just pass on the straight.. Get good KERS yes! but remove DRS or at least limit the use of it..

Use is extremely limited, don't you think?
It all seems a little arbitrary, though, the activation point, the time gap of 1 second, is there an explanation of how these are determined?

I quite like it. I think we'll see some good passes and repasses where before we wouldn't see any change of position between two equally paced cars because they never got close enough to catch the slipstream.
It feels redundant to have both. KERS was first, so instead of introducing DRS as a separate system, why not apply limitations to KERS so that it can't be used to defend (because it's too much like push-to-pass? Well, DRS certainly is nothing like it)? DRS was introduced and if KERS counters KERS when both can use it at the same time, why not remove it and just keep DRS instead?

Perhaps next we'll indeed get alternative routes one can take when not using DRS, in order to counter it. Then something to counter that too.
I dunno about this gadget show any more. Like, death race anyone? That is where this would ultimately lead to.

Not that I object fitting guns to the cars.
Quote from sinbad :I quite like it. I think we'll see some good passes and repasses where before we wouldn't see any change of position between two equally paced cars because they never got close enough to catch the slipstream.

I agree. A driver that's fast enough to catch the car ahead shouldn't be stymied in his efforts to pass by bad aero. Two cars that are on an even footing will pass and repass each other with DRS/KERS and the better driver will keep his concentration and tires together and eventually win out. And it's all better for the fans. You guys should stop worrying about "artificiality" in racing (hint: it's all artificial) and just enjoy it.
Quote from DeadWolfBones : Two cars that are on an even footing will pass and repass each other with DRS/KERS and the better driver will keep his concentration and tires together and eventually win out.

Exactly like Lewis and Jenson did as an example..
Quote from BlueFlame :I mean the Mercedes engine is strong no doubt but it doesn't mean that it's gonna automatically be fastest

I never said that, I said that I've seen them get to 320 on the FOM readout.
Quote :NotAnIllusion;1591001]...why not apply limitations to KERS...

Why should there be any limitations at all?

The teams should be allowed to develop this as they wish, and they should be able to use it anywhere on track, as often as they can.

The FIA wanted this on Formula 1 cars to make F1 look 'greener', and so that this technology would eventually find it's way onto normal road cars.

At the moment, teams are only developing it to make it as small and as bulletproof as possible. There's no incentive for them to develop further if they get it small and reliable to push out the max 80bhp (or whatever).

Where do you think the teams would rather spend their money; few million on new wing to get an extra 10th or so, or few million getting extra 10bhp?

And which (front wing / KERS) is most likely to find it's way onto a normal road car that we would be able to afford within next few years?
I'm glad you agree with me.
Quote from I don't agree :I'm glad you agree with me.

Tbh it's fine, just DRS needs to be tweaked. I'm sure this will happen eventually.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG