The online racing simulator
Small League for Slower Drivers
(46 posts, started )
Hello everybody,

This idea spawned in this topic and now let's see if there is any interest.

The idea is to have a small league, where slower drivers (whether beginners, veterans who doesn't have time to practice or just talentless folks, such as much) can drive against people on a similar-ish skill level (it's impossible to have everybody doing the exact same lap times, but i guess the slower guys will agree that being lapped at every single race, isn't the most fun thing ever).

So, to enter this league, you apply and your PBs online will be reviewed and if you're too fast, then i'm sorry, but you're out, because there are tons of leagues where fast people can drive against fast people.

I know the usual answer is "practice, try harder and get faster", but practice requires time, which is not always available and some folks (again, me) just seem to be slower.

So, my suggestion :

- Rounds be consisted of 3 x 20 minutes races, with random grid in the first race and reversed in the next 2.

- Sundays afternoon GMT (something like 4:00PM GMT or 5:00PM) so that people from different timezones can race togheter.

- Evolving cars and tracks (starting Small and slow and getting bigger and faster)

- Simple rules, spun someone, let them by, got them damaged, wait by them in the pit, don't do reckless driving

Combos Suggestion :
- AS1R - XFG / XRG
- SO2R - RB4
- SO1 - FXO
- FE2R - XRT
- FE4 - XFR / UFR
- WE1 - FOX
- AS3 - GTR
- KY1 - BF1

Suggestions are welcomed, and of course, please let me know if you have interested in racing in this. Otherwise, there's point in hosting it.

This is just an idea, because not everybody has what it takes to be a alien driver.
Hi Tibone,

This sounds like an excellent way for a veteran to try to get back into LFS after being away for so long, I remember popping online once around month ago but I never felt like I was fast enough anymore. This idea also looks like a good way to refresh track etiquette.

But I'm not sure if i'll be able to join you guys. But you defiantly have my support, this is a great idea!!, I hope other people join in.
Sounds great, I'm looking forward to taking part.
#4 - a-k-m
I will try to join... Unfortunately, I am in a changing situation in my life, that doesn't allow me participate every time. But I will do as much as I can to participate!
I have no clue,am I slow enough for this... But surely I'm not fast either... So,how you gonna decide who's allowed to race in this?
Definitely would be interested in something like this. Very little to no experience racing on LFS, so I think starting out in a league like this would be perfect for me.
#7 - Nicce
one question what is the differents gonna be on pb times compraed to WR times ?? 10s from wr and u are in ? or less ?

i would join it.
Aye looks like a brilliant set up Well thought through as well. Nice to see people setting leagues up for people who arent as quick as the aliens of the world.

Would be well up for this if I were to qualify

Quote from JPeace :good idea guys, keep on it!

you shouldn't use the BF1@KY1 combo, because it can be really a bad ending to the series. A regular road course would be better... Maybe reduce the schedule, 8 rounds can be to much. For example put the FXO, RB4 and XRT together in one TBO race. That way there'd be 6 rounds.

Anyways, as this one is quiet a gentlemen series, I'd like to compete.

BTW: Weight system wouldn't be a wise idea here, because the cars are too different. It would be senseless to punish a driver who is just fast on one car, and slow on other cars. Plus the rules should be kept as simple as possible for such a gentlemen cup.

At least that are my two pence...
Something came into mind in lieu of the incoming test patch. Since some tracks like Aston, Fern Bay, and Kyoto, for example, have multiple possible layouts.

Why not include a host based created course layout, without any suggestion from the drivers, (aka whatever random course our host creates we should drive it) and this course would be available at the end of the mentioned course rotations, done similarly in a "track day setting".

At the end of each course Rotation (which would be completed at the end of the week/session, or whatever timetable is used) the layout must not be the same for the final course. (which might be partially impossible, since there are only so many custom layouts possible within all courses)

However this is just an humble idea I had in mind, that I wanted to share with everyone. As it could be a fun way to have a break and put into practice what we might have "refreshed ourselves with" for veterans, as well good practice for new people to put what they learned into navigating the new course.
@Nicce and everybody who asked :
I was aiming at around +6s off the WRs, i was checking PBs, and it seems to be something doable. But it depends on the combo of course, i was thinking about measuring more than one actually. Something like : AS3-GTR, GTI-BL1 and TBO-FE2 (which seems to be popular enough) and if you aren't fast as hell in these, you are in.
But basically, as long as you drive clean, the exact PBs-WRs difference won't matter ALL that much.

@TFalke55 - It's still an analysing process. Why the BF1-KY1 is a bad idea ? I reckon the BF1 is quite a beast, but on the oval, it can be tamed, do you expect major wreckage ? About less races, i agree, but i throw in some suggestions. I accept more suggestions aswell.

@jeremysmith : Sorry, but i really don't understood. Can you put some examples in ? I guess after 10 hours of work, my mind doesn't work aswell.

@everyone else : Let's make this happen then. Start in the last week of may-early june, sounds good ?
Quote from tibone :
@TFalke55 - It's still an analysing process. Why the BF1-KY1 is a bad idea ? I reckon the BF1 is quite a beast, but on the oval, it can be tamed, do you expect major wreckage ?

The problem with that combo is that the BF1 produces too much downforce, so it is very easy to go flat out through out the lap. This means that drafting is the important factor. It will end in slighshot drafting or bumpdrafting, wich always has the problem that the slightest delay arriving packets or slight stearing mistakes can cause an accident and accidents in the oval can end up in multiple car accidents. If you try to shift-P/-S it can happen, that the delay is so big a following car drives into you.
I'm saying that from experience as we are organizing a lot of oval races throughout a year. In this context the BF1 is even delicater to handle then the FO8.
Quote from Eclipsed :I have no clue,am I slow enough for this... But surely I'm not fast either... So,how you gonna decide who's allowed to race in this?

What I'd do,
take the times of all participants for a given combination and calculate an average time from all competitors and then calculate let's say 95% of that average time. Who's faster than that isn't allowed to race.

But the problem is, if someone doesn't have the hotlap uploaded for a combo. I.e. I don't have many hotlaps uploaded to LFS World, because I don't do hot laps out of one reason. I'm too slow.
Chipping in here with my thoughts about the Oval + BF1, I believe its just too fast for the "average" driver to control correctly. Even I have trouble controlling that vehicle.

I do agree with TFalke55's comment however, personally for me, I avoid the high-powered GTR's and open cockpit vehicles all together, because the fact is, higher speeds mean more precision and higher concentration is needed, and if you get distracted for a split-fraction of a second, it can and will lead to an accident which in turn, can and will ruin other competitors races, this is true for any track combo but most prominently seen on the oval, especially with the BF1.

From my understanding of the idea as a whole, and by all means please do correct me if I am wrong or mistaken, this event is for slower drivers and veterans to come to practice without the stresses of trying to keep up with the faster aliens out there, and become more confident with the track and vehicle combo, in a safe environment, wouldn't it be best to stay with slower vehicles and then gradually progress to the higher powered vehicles at a steady and gradual pace, as people's skills progress and become more confident with themselves.

I do agree there are beginner drivers out there looking to improve themselves with the higher powered vehicles, and I urge them to do so, as the reward in itself is quite rewarding, but I believe at this point we don't know for sure how the rest of the field will stack up, until we work with the drivers whenever we begin.

My suggestion, lets keep it simple and take it slow for now, and then build from there.
@TFalke55 - Okay, i see, i haven't considered that, but i can understand what you mean. I guess i will accept your suggestion and drop that event all togheter. I hadn't considered drafting on the oval in the BF1.

@xfirestorm - I can look at the PBs stored there, no need to be hotlap uploads. My idea is to make an avarage time and balance it by it. Suggestion on combos is accepted.

@jeremysmith - I agree, which is why i avoided the single-seaters apart from the FOX, which in WE1 is not so bad to handle and you got the idea right, is to provide a safe enviroment for people who doesn't have the time, skills or talent to keep up with the faster aliens.

Perhaps staying in the GTI/TBO classes is a better idea ?

Oh and that BL4 and AS8 look awesome to run, we will have to run those after the new patch is released.
Quote from tibone :@xfirestorm - I can look at the PBs stored there, no need to be hotlap uploads. My idea is to make an avarage time and balance it by it. Suggestion on combos is accepted.

Even those can be deleted and then you go online and drive a couple of slow laps and there you go.
So if you would do it this way, you would also have to control race times. If someone drives a too fast lap during the race he/she should be disqualified then.
Quote from xfirestorm :Even those can be deleted and then you go online and drive a couple of slow laps and there you go.
So if you would do it this way, you would also have to control race times. If someone drives a too fast lap during the race he/she should be disqualified then.

Definetly, i totally agree with you. If someone has a PB and then in the drive drives 5s faster constantly, that person will be disqualified.
I would use STDs, TBOs and the FOX(just to add that 'speedyness' factor to the league).

Other than that, I would love to take apart! Depends on the dates though.
I would suggest that you take a look at using intake restricted cars. Our club uses them and they are very nice, especially on small tracks. For example, a restricted FXO drivers much better than the XFG. Even the LX6 can be tamed with enough intake restriction. However, it does not seem to work as well with high downforce, high grip cars.
@hp999 - I'm planning on late-may, sundays afternoon GMT, which is the most accepting timetable world-wide. I like the idea of STD, TBO and FOX.

@codehound - I registered for your club, but i haven't managed to find time during the week to drive with you guys before the races. Restricted cars are fine and very driveable, but it's something else to check (install a inSim to check) and something else that may go wrong (disbalanced cars). I might check it, but i don't think it's really necessary at this point.

I will do some testing and i should post a revised schedule during the next couple of days. If most interested guys approve, we will go with it.
Quote from xfirestorm :What I'd do,
take the times of all participants for a given combination and calculate an average time from all competitors and then calculate let's say 95% of that average time. Who's faster than that isn't allowed to race.

But the problem is, if someone doesn't have the hotlap uploaded for a combo. I.e. I don't have many hotlaps uploaded to LFS World, because I don't do hot laps out of one reason. I'm too slow.

I wouldnt agree with that... If your fast kudos to you.
Id also try the UFBR UFR+45% restriction. Easiest car to drive IMHO
As far as people are behaving like gentelmen on track i would sign up.
Quote from -NightFly- :As far as people are behaving like gentelmen on track i would sign up.

i would join just for the fun.
and my self personaly isnt a alien but i know how to drive and keep it clean-friendly for the ppl around me.
truly accidents happens but if u KNOW ur not alone on the track/into first turn u can and everyone else make it out on the other side.

that statement about slicks-wings and intake restrictions isnt working. imo it works really good on GTR´s imo but u have more work to make the car go fast and keep the grip at the same time.

btw.. will the events be official here on lfsforums and spdrsite ? I hope so.
Don't know about spdr (never used it, don't even know the url, i just saw on some others signatures), but i plan on making it official here.

(46 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG