The online racing simulator
should i buy a new wheel?
(51 posts, started )
Hi guys!

i started playing LFS about 1 month with a Thrusmaster Universal Challenge 5 in 1 ... my best lap in BMW-Blackwood is 1.14.92 and i see a lot of people easly making 1.13.00 or better ... can i improve my time laps if a get a better wheel or is it just that i have to keep practicing ... to me it seems impossible to do better that this ... i will buy a better whell if that improves my time laps

can you guys tell me your opinion please

thank you
well, there are some things id do before buying new wheel

1. practice practice practice
2. watch faster racer lines, you might be driving a wrong line
3. try to get a better, faster set, it might be that you arent using the best set, so therefore u get slower times
4. try to make a hotlap and then compare your spr with wr's, so you will see what and where are you driving different than wr is.

all of that is easier then just getting the new wheel. and it will most probably make you faster than a wheel would. and as for wheels, im Logitech DF GT user, its a big step over FF EX i had before, gained around 3-4 tenths on my pbs depending on track, so yes, a better wheel can get you better times, but there are other (more important) ways to lower your pb, because good wheel cant make a shit set go faster.
Quote from alquimista :Hi guys!

i started playing LFS about 1 month with a Thrusmaster Universal Challenge 5 in 1 ... my best lap in BMW-Blackwood is 1.14.92 and i see a lot of people easly making 1.13.00 or better ... can i improve my time laps if a get a better wheel or is it just that i have to keep practicing ... to me it seems impossible to do better that this ... i will buy a better whell if that improves my time laps

can you guys tell me your opinion please

thank you

Hi!

New wheel won`t make you any faster... practice will

Great way to learn is to spectate from some fast drivers cockpit, to see where he brakes, turns etc... and then try to use it yourself... sure, you should have a decent setup on your car... and it takes some time to adjust it to your driving style...

I`m personaly driving with joystick and my PB is 1.13.23 ... and many fast guys that are doing 1.12.XX are driving with mouse... so, even the best wheel in the world can`t help you if you don`t practice and practice and practice... that is the only way to get better and better
Quote from alquimista : ... to me it seems impossible to do better that this ...

When I was doing 1:15s I never thought I could drive 1:13s.. now I`m doing it... so, anything is possible
#5 - PoVo
Yes you should.
It also depends on how much money you got. If you can afford a couple of wheels, then sure, try out some steeringwheels but if you gotta work your ass of getting one, then I'd not do it.
Quote from sabbathian :When I was doing 1:15s I never thought I could drive 1:13s.. now I`m doing it... so, anything is possible

How long took you guys to do 1.13 ?
1 month? 1 year?
so i can see if i'm going ok?
#8 - hp999
My skills for example tend to increase slowly, so it took me about a year and a half to get into low 1:13's.

And no, you won't necessarily need a new wheel as long as the wheel you've got feels somewhat realistic. Keyword being 'somewhat', trollz.
Quote from hp999 :My skills for example tend to increase slowly, so it took me about a year and a half to get into low 1:13's.

And no, you won't necessarily need a new wheel as long as the wheel you've got feels somewhat realistic. Keyword being 'somewhat', trollz.

This wheel is pretty cheap,, doesnt have FFB. I read a lot of reviews from real drivers and they say that G25 and G27 are not realistic. But the ones who never drive racing cars but play a lot o racing sim say they are.

I have fun with this wheel (maybe because i never tryed a logitech) and i think i will stay with it for now and just kkeep practicing ... if you took a 1 year andd a half to 1.13 i think im going ok cause a play for about 1 month and did 1.14.92 (improve more then 1 second in 1 week)
Well, no wheel for PC is "realistic" in many ways, true.

I can only speak for myself when I got my G25 for example. LFS turned into a completely new game (3 years ago?). Every track/car and race took me to a new level. The game delivered that full potential and I only regret that I didn't realize this earlier.

I suspect the reason for many gamers today complaining about slow updates of LFS (wanting more tracks/cars etc) do not realize they miss 90% of the game as it is simply by not having the right hardware wheel (I know - feel free to critisize this opinion! )

A stable (robust) wheel, some force feedback, H-shifter and a clutch brings new dimension to LFS. That is all I can say. I am one of those that do not long for graphical updates (directx that, bloom that, polygon times that etc) simply because the driving is awesome with a good wheel/clutch/gearbox. However, I do look forward to the physics update! (yes, I have iRacing - and not being very thrilled about it).

Just my opinion...
Quote from alquimista :How long took you guys to do 1.13 ?
1 month? 1 year?
so i can see if i'm going ok?

You are doing just fine

I`m daily on demo servers and there are drivers that are at the same lap times for weeks... and its 1.15... 1.16... And ... not every day is your fastest day... today I could not go under 1:14 ... too nervous and tired...
Quote from Ingolf :Well, no wheel for PC is "realistic" in many ways, true.

I can only speak for myself when I got my G25 for example. LFS turned into a completely new game (3 years ago?). Every track/car and race took me to a new level. The game delivered that full potential and I only regret that I didn't realize this earlier.

This is true... when G25 came out I got it for a review... and normally I tried it with LFS (at that time I was driving with mouse)... my good... what a difference... completely new experience... but G25 and G27 are simply too much money for me to spend just to use it in LFS...
yes, the logitech wheels are for fun only not for real simulating, if you want a realy good simulating wheel + pedal combo you need to spend a few hundred or a few thousand euro more on them(like this: ECCI 7000), anyway if you can buy a new logitech momo racing wheel, then buy it, it is basicly the dfgt but whit less steering angle, but much less money, and many people who can't afford a g25/g27 use it, sometimes the electronics of the thortle and brake pedal needs a little wd-40 to work propely but only once in 1-2 years (tutorial for a "repair": link)

ps.: oh and some say the force feedback isn't to realistic in lfs
Quote from Ingolf :Well, no wheel for PC is "realistic" in many ways, true.

I suspect the reason for many gamers today complaining about slow updates of LFS (wanting more tracks/cars etc) do not realize they miss 90% of the game as it is simply by not having the right hardware wheel (I know - feel free to critisize this opinion! )

A stable (robust) wheel, some force feedback, H-shifter and a clutch brings new dimension to LFS. That is all I can say. I am one of those that do not long for graphical updates (directx that, bloom that, polygon times that etc) simply because the driving is awesome with a good wheel/clutch/gearbox. However, I do look forward to the physics update! (yes, I have iRacing - and not being very thrilled about it).

Just my opinion...

And that is exactly why I said 'somewhat'.
Quote :you won't necessarily need a new wheel as long as the wheel you've got feels somewhat realistic.

LFS is a game that play along your personal spine... If you want to go mouse... fine,,,(click... cklick..... cklick)... if you go keyboard (its there, aaa.... dddd.... wwww....aaaa....) if you go joystick - sweet (up and down), and then you go a cheap wheel (no clutch, no H-shifter etc) ... but What happens when you go full out?

You can only discover yourself, really!

But it was not a disappointment, for me going from Thrustmaster to G25. All tracks are alive nowadays!
a logitech (G25/G27) or a Fanatec wheel should be plenty for you. the only real thing you should then think about is your budget. this will usually dictate which wheel you will buy in the end.
try not to make compromises, remember you're going to be using this hardware nearly every day so you need to be completely happy with the purchase. once you think you've found the right wheel, don't purchase it. go make a cup of coffee or tea and have one last think about it.
Quote from Ingolf :LFS is a game that play along your personal spine... If you want to go mouse... fine,,,(click... cklick..... cklick)... if you go keyboard (its there, aaa.... dddd.... wwww....aaaa....) if you go joystick - sweet (up and down), and then you go a cheap wheel (no clutch, no H-shifter etc) ... but What happens when you go full out?

You can only discover yourself, really!

But it was not a disappointment, for me going from Thrustmaster to G25. All tracks are alive nowadays!

Mnyeh... I race... well more like wander around in servers with a Momo. I like the FFB of it and I don't feel like buying a G25 really.

I bet someone will say 'LFS aint a game, it's a sim'.
hummm ... i'm getting tempted to buy a logitech

it seems that maybe will not improve my times so much but will improvve the fun of driving ... and is also important

the problem now is that its so hard to choose without trying before buy

i can buy a 2nd hand momo for 40 euros but then will i feel the need to go for a H-shifter?
or maybe i buy the g27 and then i find out that the momo would be ok for my driving needs?

i dont have much money but i can get the money for the g27 ... but will it payout the investment?

i only play fls bmw ... i like speed and adrenalina
i tryed dirt2 ... i enjoyed but i get bored after some time (too much arcade stuff i guess)
the other cars in lfs like in gti racing are very slow and bored to me ...

so if a buy a new wheel will be mainly for lfs-bmw or other faster cars (after buying s2 license) ... do you think the H-shift will be appropriate for those kind of racings? It feels to me that a wheel with shift paddles on the wheel will be more realistic (like formula 1) ... am i wrong?
Quote from alquimista :hummm ... i'm getting tempted to buy a logitech

it seems that maybe will not improve my times so much but will improvve the fun of driving ... and is also important

the problem now is that its so hard to choose without trying before buy

i can buy a 2nd hand momo for 40 euros but then will i feel the need to go for a H-shifter?
or maybe i buy the g27 and then i find out that the momo would be ok for my driving needs?

i dont have much money but i can get the money for the g27 ... but will it payout the investment?

i only play fls bmw ... i like speed and adrenalina
i tryed dirt2 ... i enjoyed but i get bored after some time (too much arcade stuff i guess)
the other cars in lfs like in gti racing are very slow and bored to me ...

so if a buy a new wheel will be mainly for lfs-bmw or other faster cars (after buying s2 license) ... do you think the H-shift will be appropriate for those kind of racings? It feels to me that a wheel with shift paddles on the wheel will be more realistic (like formula 1) ... am i wrong?

Go for it... the "game" will change so dramatically, you won't believe it.
If you can, buy S2 together with the wheel.

That way, you"ll have lots of new content and a new great wheel...
Your friends will miss out on you for a while. :P

Edit: The G27 has paddles too, don't worry.
Well, in one way (I guess in every way) you do extend LFS ===> greater value as you get a proper wheel setup. I think this is the big differece between feelings expressed here on the forums (again).

If you do not have the hardware -> complain about graphics, and the rest just enjoys every logon they can fit in... knowing it "feels" close to driving on tracks...

So my advice is to get another, more expensive wheel, . Yes! (G25/G27/Fanatec)...
I never play again with joypads after i buy a wheel (10 years ago maybe)

Buy a Wheel! Most Important equipment for racing
I was starting with Momo, bought G25 afterwards. With G25 I gained almost a second and half everywhere only because of its pedals. I think that speaks for itself.
Quote from sabbathian :Hi!

New wheel won`t make you any faster... practice will

When i swapped from my DFP to my G27.. i became a lot faster..
When I swapped from my mouse to my DFGT, I became a bit faster
When I swapped my MOMO Racing to G25, I started mis-shifting.

(51 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG