The online racing simulator
Converting tools: how to convert only audio and keep video intact?
Hello guys! I have been looking for this for a while but since I couldn't find it I figured I should ask.

I have gotten a HD movie and I want to watch it on my TV using the HDMI cable. Video plays just fine as expected, however, audio is not working because the Nokia N8 has Dolby Surround 5.1 and aparently only decodes audio up to 5 channels on the home theater. My movie has 6 channels audio.

Is there any way I can convert only the audio and keep the video intact? It would be just perfect if there were a program that would convert the audio from 6 channels to 5 channels without changing video codecs and format. It's a mp4 file by the way, but it would be a good bonus if the program allowed many formats.

Thanks in advance!
#2 - Bean0
Not sure if it handles .mp4 by default or would require a plugin, but in VirtualDub you could recode the audio and leave the video intact. Choose 'Direct Stream copy' for the video and 'Full Processing mode' for the audio.
Quote from Velociround :Hello guys! I have been looking for this for a while but since I couldn't find it I figured I should ask.

I have gotten a HD movie and I want to watch it on my TV using the HDMI cable. Video plays just fine as expected, however, audio is not working because the Nokia N8 has Dolby Surround 5.1 and aparently only decodes audio up to 5 channels on the home theater. My movie has 6 channels audio.

Is there any way I can convert only the audio and keep the video intact? It would be just perfect if there were a program that would convert the audio from 6 channels to 5 channels without changing video codecs and format. It's a mp4 file by the way, but it would be a good bonus if the program allowed many formats.

Thanks in advance!

Don't most apps have a "passthrough" for both Video?

That'd be what I'd be looking for.
I'm sure that Avidemux or VirtualDub can do that. I'm not a VirtualDub user, but you can do that in Avidemux by setting "Copy" at video codec.
#5 - troy
You could also try mediacoder, got plenty of supported codecs and lets you choose how many channels your converted audio should have while just remuxing the video.
Thanks everyone for the help!

Quote from MadCatX :I'm sure that Avidemux or VirtualDub can do that. I'm not a VirtualDub user, but you can do that in Avidemux by setting "Copy" at video codec.

Thanks a lot! This is exactly what I needed. I had tried VirtualDub before opening this thread but it didn't work with my 64bit Windows so it was pretty much useless on my pc... Never mind, Avidemux works very well and it's pretty fast at doing its job.

As a side note, just to correct myself, my problem with the video didn't have anything to do with the amount of audio channels (which was correct and does have support of Dolby Surround 5.1).
In case you occur a .mkv with sound that's unplayable on your device, you can demux it using MKV Toolnix, convert sound & then mux new sound + original video to a .mp4 file using Yamb.

As a sidenote, you should use 32-bit version of VirtualDub even on 64-bit OSes, cause most VfW codecs are 32-bit only.
I recommend eac3to for audio conversion(free) or DbPoweramp (paid) but the latter is much more refined and you can pretty much have full control on both software's. Also if you want to remux on other formats TsMuxer is a good one click bet. You should also check out MultiavcHD from deanbg down in doom9 forum I believe, that thing is a swiss army knife for hd content authoring, converting etc.

EDIT: forgot to mention eac3to standalone is a cmd batch one but there is a gui version on the same post in doom9 forums
These are very nice tips, I'll make sure I take advantage of these when I encounter another problem with sound. Thank you so much.

I had read a bit about demuxing before, some people said it's very common and necessary specially with .mkv files. I find it weird that all .mkv movies I watched played just fine, I just had a problem with sound not playing on this mp4 one so far.

Also, VirtualDub 32bits wouldn't install on my pc (gives error "not compatible with this version of windows") and the 64bits version wouldn't open any file I tried...
Never mind, Avidemux did its job nicely and I'll have it ready in case I need to convert the sound (or video, who knows) again.

By the way, this is what I'm currently using and I'm very, very satisfied with it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWUkOFzEDtA
The Wiimote is great! It's useful for just about everything,

For people interested in more information about it, here's a brief description:
http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/nokia-big-screen
It is Nokia's media center application for phones with HDMI-out. It can play all files and codecs the N8 is able to play (which includes, but is not limited to, mp4, avi, mkv, wmv, flv, h264, mp3, wma, aac, etc), it shows pictures, includes karaoke with synchronized lyrics, it supports movie covers in jpg format and subtitles in srt format. It can play DRM-protected files including Microsoft's Zune Music Subscription, Amazon movies, Ovi Music Unlimited subscription and other protected files. Also supports downloading licenses for new DRM content, and works just fine as well with all DRM-free media.
-
MP4 corruption, audio and video fails to intact (julialloyds45) DELETED by Victor : Spam
-
MP4 File intact Corruption (julialloyds1995) DELETED by Flame CZE : spam
-
MP4 File intact Corruption (julialloyds1995) DELETED by Flame CZE : spam
-
(darcyhunt) DELETED by dekojester : SPAM

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG