The online racing simulator
Button clutch (auto vs. manual) mouse drivers
First of all, I did search in the forums, but did not find an answer to my specific problem which is:

I'm driving with mouse and use both axis, so steering and accel./braking is completely done by moving the mouse. Recently I searched the forum about using auto clutch vs. manual pedal clutch for wheel (Logitech G25).

Now I ask myself if there is an advantage in regard to lap times when using manual "button" clutch instead of the auto clutch feature.

I turned the button rate to 10.0 and hit the button for the clutch very fast and the press "shift up" or "shift down". When using button rates of about 2.0 the clutching and shifting takes much longer.

But back to my question. Is there a difference for me to use manual "button" clutch as a mouse driver?

I tried both types of shifting the gears and I can drive with both options properly.
No dont start this over again.. search for it you have about OVER 9000!!!!! posts about it.
I guess you should have used the search thingie before posting, but since you didn't, there is your answer.
Manual clutch is there only for the extra realism, it gives you no to little advantage unless you're using it in combination with cheats and hacks. You can go ahead and try it yourself, I bet you'll be just as fast with manual clutch...
Thank you for posting the answers.

I knew you would accuse me of not having searched enough, but I did and there was not the answer to my controller setup with the mouse axis. As you may see my post count is not very high, as I tend to read a lot in the forum before posting.

Nevertheless, the difference in lap times seems to be insignificant and shifting gears is fast both ways.
BC will always be quicker no matter how you put it.. ofcourse you need to have quick fingers but then again, how slow are ya?
Has anyone actually tested at which button control rate the clutch is (the most) equivalent to auto-clutch? I use 7.0, and it's slow enough to fry the clutch on some cars if not paying attention.
Quote from Dennis93 :BC will always be quicker no matter how you put it.. ofcourse you need to have quick fingers but then again, how slow are ya?

I mainly drive on [AA] Blackwood GTI. My PB is currently: 1:34.190,
if your "slow" refers to lap times in general.

The driving itself is consistent enough to tell a difference between shifting with or without autoclutch.
I just wanted to hear some opinions on your settings.
I'm not allowed in any of the championships that i take part of to use Button clutch since it is too quick if made properly.

So basically if you wanna beat people fair and square, use AC.

Have fun gaming!
Quote from NotAnIllusion :Has anyone actually tested at which button control rate the clutch is (the most) equivalent to auto-clutch? I use 7.0, and it's slow enough to fry the clutch on some cars if not paying attention.

Well, I tested at 2.0 -> this is a very slow and long shifting process

Even at 10.0 you have to tap the button really quickly to avoid damaging your clutch.
But then it depends if you release the gas pedal while shifting. With the XFG it is not really necessary.

Auto-clutch delivers the most consistent results when shifting gears.

When racing online and using manual button clutch I find myself sometimes to shift longer
than with auto-clutch as you have to pay more attention to driving than on shifting .
In some, or at least one of the cars, you can redline the engine (to avoid clutch damage) while in gear, hold down the shift up button, then tap the clutch button for a near instant shift. The shift won't take place until you tap the clutch button, even though you're holding down the shift up button. You'll have to release and then repress the shift up button for the next gear shift though.
Quote from NotAnIllusion :Has anyone actually tested at which button control rate the clutch is (the most) equivalent to auto-clutch? I use 7.0, and it's slow enough to fry the clutch on some cars if not paying attention.

I have the control button rate in 3.0, the only car i can melt the clutch is the UFR if i dont do it properly, also is a bit tricky with the mrt when the rpm are over 12,000

But AC is faster that a BC and G25 pedal clutch

Still with 3.0 of button crontrol rate is Fast enough for accel properly with the keyboard ( You dont loose crontrol over accel when cornering ), Also with BC and AC you can do perfectly Heel&Toe
#12 - arco
Quote from Dennis93 :So basically if you wanna beat people fair and square, use AC.

Which is something some of the idiots uploading wr's to lfsworld lately should learn. Probably about 90% of the wr's uploaded these days are set with bc.
Quote from arco :Which is something some of the idiots uploading wr's to lfsworld lately should learn. Probably about 90% of the wr's uploaded these days are set with bc.

And I'm moaning why they are so quick and I am so slow with my manual clutch

lol , if a few idiots are doing it, whats the point of taking it with AC when you know somebody with BC can just come along and beat it easily? They're just playing the game straight to cut out the cr*p. If theres a way to gain an advantage easily(BC is easy) some people are always gonna do it, you don't know whether the people doing it are just idiots or are just dont want to lose there wr when somebody comes along and beats them with BC when they played to imaginary rules that the LFS community has created without having any way of backing them up. If theres a way to back it up, like there is in league racing then thats different, but the LFS community has no input to whether the laps are valid with BC or not - its a fact just get over it

I agree if everybody used AC, it would be better and fairer. However you can't force everybody to use AC in hotlap mode unless your an LFS dev. So imo, everybody should be allowed to use BC on hotlap mode without the trollin' and the hate, its pointless cos people will always do it. League racing is different, it can be stopped there, so stop it there . My opinion, not fact.
Even if it's allowed, people with normal pride would not do it. But of course, selfish people who only aims to win wouldn't be one of those.
Quote from isaacprice :i agree if everybody used ac, it would be better and fairer. However you can't force everybody to use ac in hotlap mode unless your an lfs dev. So imo, everybody should be allowed to use bc on hotlap mode without the trollin' and the hate, its pointless cos people will always do it. League racing is different, it can be stopped there, so stop it there . My opinion, not fact.

gingers have souls!

Quote from The Very End :Even if it's allowed, people with normal pride would not do it. But of course, selfish people who only aims to win wouldn't be one of those.

Well, it would be a bit silly playing a racing game if your aims weren't to win, wouldn't it?
lol i think we know which people in this thread are using bc...
Quote from Seb66 :gingers have souls!

Well, it would be a bit silly playing a racing game if your aims weren't to win, wouldn't it?

To some degree yes, but for me it's the racing that drives me, if I win that is a bonus
And what about the ppl with g25 who upload WR and are using script for the cluctch?
before I got S2 I only drove with mouse and auto clutch... but since I got S2 and shortly after that, G25, I have never used any assistance in driving in any car including the formula 1

sure, those who like to have a big e-penis and have a WR on a track can use whatever they want...

I personally drive cars like they were designed to be driven... h-shifter + pedal clutch or seq on paddles (dont drive rally in this game so dont use stick seq),no TC ofcourse
BC

Lock please
#22 - arco
Shut up Toni, and drink more German beer.

Button clutch (auto vs. manual) mouse drivers
(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG