The online racing simulator
[Solved] Bought new components -> PC restarts or gets stuck in the BIOS splash screen
Hello all.

A couple of months ago, I bought new PC hardware components - motherboard, CPU, GPU, RAM's, new HDD, monitor and a new power supply (the power supply is 700W so I don't think it can be its fault - it works fine now, I've already had it installed for several weeks). So we assembled it all and when it has shown the BIOS splash screen (motherboard image), it either freezed or was restarting itself over and over again. So I could not get to BIOS either.

So now I am on my old PC and trying to think about why does it happen and what it's caused by.

Here are the specs:
Quote :
processor: CPU AMD Phenom™ II X6 Six-Core 1055T 2.8GHz 9MB cache 125W socket AM3, B
motherboard: GIGABYTE MB Sc AM3 790FXTA-UD5, AMD 790FX, 4xDDR3
RAM: DIMM DDR3 4GB 1600MHz CL9 (Kit of 2) KINGSTON HyperX
graphics card: Sapphire VGA ATI VAPOR-X HD 5770, 1GB GDDR5, 128-bit, 860/1200, 2xDVI, HDMI, DP, OC VERSION
new HDD: SEAGATE BARRACUDA 7200.12, 750GB SATAII/300 7200RPM, 32MB cache
monitor: LG MT LCD 22" W2220P

The operating system I've bought is Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit but as it doesn't even get to load the system, I think it's not the fault - now I still have XP Professional 32 bit installed.

I and my brother have tried to change the motherboard and get another same one via the reclamation (is it the right word?) and no help. We have also tried to disconnect / unplug any unneeded stuff in the computer and keep only the required components plugged-in and still no change.

Well, now we think it might be the RAM fault, because its frequency is 1600 MHz and in the motherboard manual, it says that it supports DDR3 1866(OC)/1333/1066 MHz memory modules. So that could be the problem, but we are not sure if it's worth buying a new one if it still wouldn't work then.

Does anyone know if an uncompatible RAM frequency to the MBoard can cause these problems? Or do you have any other ideas?

Thanks in advance
Your new setup is similar to mine, except yours is better. (I'm running a quad-core cpu), anyway,

When it reboots, does it always take the same time to reboot ?
Because it can be something as silly as a bad installed cpu heat-sink/fan/thermal paste, (cpu overheating and shutting down) to a faulty component.

Have you made sure the CPu is not OC'd in the bios ?
You can always try lowering the RAM frequency, if you think it might be the problem. In my experience totally unsupported RAM frequency usually means the computer doesn't boot (mobo beeping to warn you)

Also, you can initiate windows under the "disable automatic restart on system failure" mode (if you don't see it, keep pressing f8 while the computer is doing the POST (counting memory and stuff)) and see the contents of the blue screen. If there's no blue screen, then it can be a PSU problem or CPU overheating without a doubt.

Other than that, my only sugestion is running the min needed and try to build from there (start with CPU + MOBO, it will beep asking for RAM, then, turn it off, insert 1 ram and turn it on again, check from there and so on for the rest of the components).

Hopefully that helps.

All i can say is, once you get it stable you will have a great system, haven't had a single problem with mine, running smoothly.
Quote from tibone :When it reboots, does it always take the same time to reboot ?

Yes, it does. It always restarts after the BIOS screen (the motherboard image), or it freezes and gets stuck on that screen and any key presses don't work.

Quote from tibone :Have you made sure the CPu is not OC'd in the bios ?

The problem is that I don't even get to the BIOS, I was keeping pressing Delete all the time but nothing happened. But why would the CPU be overclocked, when it's a brand new one?

Quote from tibone :Other than that, my only sugestion is running the min needed and try to build from there (start with CPU + MOBO, it will beep asking for RAM, then, turn it off, insert 1 ram and turn it on again, check from there and so on for the rest of the components).

We have already tried that. We tried 1 RAM and I'm not sure now but I think it beeped too, I don't know. And when RAM's were on, it just did what I described here.

BTW, I have edited the title, I wrote it wrong - it doesn't freeze in BIOS but on the screen of the motherboard image
#4 - dadge
you need to go into your bios and disable the bios splash screen. then, you should be able to see what it happening.
sounds like a boot loop error. or press escape on the splash screen to skip to the booup screen.
maybe a bad install of the operating system. was there any errors during the install process?
#5 - arco
There's a jumper on the mb that resets the bios. Look in the manual.

Don't know if your mb has this function, but the new Asus boards usually have a button you can press to let it automatically adjust the bios according to the installed ram modules.
Quote from dadge :you need to go into your bios and disable the bios splash screen. then, you should be able to see what it happening.
sounds like a boot loop error. or press escape on the splash screen to skip to the booup screen.
maybe a bad install of the operating system. was there any errors during the install process?

The problem is that no matter what I press, it does not respond, so I cannot get to BIOS.
Quote from arco :There's a jumper on the mb that resets the bios. Look in the manual.

I'm quite sure we have already tried this too and no difference.
Quote from arco :Don't know if your mb has this function, but the new Asus boards usually have a button you can press to let it automatically adjust the bios according to the installed ram modules.

Hmm, I'll have a look in the manual. But I don't think the motherboard has it.
What version of the BIOS in on the motherboard? F1, F2, or F3?
How do I find it out? This is what it says in the manual:
Quote : 1. 2 x 8 Mbit flash
2. Use of licensed AWARD BIOS
3. Support for DualBIOS™
4. PnP 1.0a, DMI 2.0, SM BIOS 2.4, ACPI 1.0b

Did you buy this board new?, if so the bios version is on the side of the box or on the board itself

Going to take a stab in the dark and say your running F1 and acorrding to the gigabyte website your cpu isn't supported until version F3.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3258#
That's what I'm worried about. If the CPU isn't supported in the current BIOS version, there's no telling what will happen. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Can you try an older CPU? Or can you try removing some RAM and leaving just one stick in the motherboard?
Hmm, I don't have any CPU with AM3 socket now, although I could ask my brother if he has one.

We've tried to leave just one stick and it didn't work.

And about the BIOS version... I can't see anything about the F# version of BIOS on the motherboard itself. And I don't have the box, because it was not delivered in a box this time (reclamation), unlike the first time when we bought it (I think the box was taken to the reclamation along with the mb itself). I'll try to find it out, it's quite probable that it can be caused by this.
Martin, I had a problem when Id turn my PC on and it would keep going vrooo vroo vroo and keep re lighting, so i went to my scrap pc and took that power supply..

turned out the one i was using was clogged with dust and had fried..
Well I have a brand new power supply, so...
I had a brand new power supply once too, and the system wouldn't turn on at all. It turned out the power supply was broken. Brand new doesn't mean much these days.
But how come does it work well at my old PC for about a month?
I'm just saying in my case it didn't work well, but it seems to work in your case. The problem is probably the BIOS doesn't support your CPU, but I don't even know what BIOS version your board has.
Quote from Flame CZE :But how come does it work well at my old PC for about a month?

maybe it broke after 4 weeks of use. these things do happen.
#18 - Jakg
Quote from Flame CZE :Well I have a brand new power supply, so...

What brand is it? Do you get any bleeps from the onboard speaker?

First thoughts are RAM tho - you said you've tried 1 stick - what about 0 sticks? You should get some some sort of crazy post bleeping...

Tried swapping RAM with another PC?
Indeed, might be the wrong bios version, according to the Gygabyte site, you need bios version F31 for the six-core cpus, here : http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3258#

The downloads page provide a link to the bios : http://www.gigabyte.com/produc ... px?pid=3258&dl=1#bios

But beware that flashing a BIOS is a high-risk process, so, if you don't exactly how to proceed, don't do it yourself, get some high-experienced help.

If your BIOS is indeed version (you may look for some sticker on the mobo or in the manual, indicating BIOS version, most brands do that, and my Gygabyte mobo has a small sticker on the back cover indicating it.) then, i would get try the ram on another computer or get some new ram sticks.
#20 - Jakg
I can't talk about Gigabyte boards, but when I did a build with an Asus board (M4A79) which needed a different BIOS revision, I got no post... I pressed "Tab" (which turns off the splash screen) and it shew the CPU listed incorrectly (speed wise).

Popped in a supported CPU (as by sheer dumb luck I just happened to have a similar but slightly older supported CPU in my PC!), upgraded the BIOS and it worked fine.
Quote from Jakg :What brand is it? Do you get any bleeps from the onboard speaker?

First thoughts are RAM tho - you said you've tried 1 stick - what about 0 sticks? You should get some some sort of crazy post bleeping...

Tried swapping RAM with another PC?

It's a Xilence. Some people say it's shit. And yes I tried 0 sticks and it beeped that there is no RAM - as expected.
try each stick in each slot until you get past the post screen.
Soo...

On the board, it says REV 1.0 (which is the board revision number I guess) but I've been told that it should be somehow related to the BIOS version as well. So if it's true, my CPU is not compatible with the board. We will try to get an older compatible CPU, update the BIOS and then put the original CPU back there. And see if it helps.
Quote from Flame CZE :Soo...

On the board, it says REV 1.0 (which is the board revision number I guess) but I've been told that it should be somehow related to the BIOS version as well. So if it's true, my CPU is not compatible with the board. We will try to get an older compatible CPU, update the BIOS and then put the original CPU back there. And see if it helps.

a bios update might help you. http://www.gigabyte.com/produc ... aspx?pid=3258&dl=1#ov you'll need a usb memory stick. updating a gigabytes bios is really easy.
Thanks, although I've already discovered that download page before. I hope my brother knows how to flash it

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG