The online racing simulator
Need for speed to dominate everything?
(24 posts, started )
According to need for speed, They think they can " Dominate it all" And; "Rival Grand Turismo"

Here is the article below, What do you guys think about it, If NFS dominated the simulators, Would you play them?

EA's vision for the Need for Speed franchise involves alternating the developers behind every November release in a similar way Infinity Ward and Treyarch alternate development of Call of Duty games.

This November's game, Hot Pursuit, was created by Criterion. November 2011's game, unannounced at this stage but confirmed to be in EA's plan, will be created by Need for Speed: Undercover developer EA Black Box in Canada.

EA also plans to make a franchise out of side series Need for Speed: Shift – designed to compete with the likes of Forza and Gran Turismo in the authentic simulation racing genre.

EA's new NFS strategy was revealed by executive Patrick ... interview with Eurogamer.
"We want to reach a mass-market audience, and Hot Pursuit is a more mass-market appealing product than Shift," Soderlund said.
"We want to come back with an action adventure type of product on an annual basis, but from a developer that's been working on it for a couple of years.

"Maybe there are two or three developers going at it every second year. Then, when the market permits and when we feel ready, we'll come up with Shift versions as well."

Soderlund's new vision for the franchise was born out of a frustration at the quality of previous games in the series.

Developers were only given eight to 10 months to create a NFS game. Under the new strategy multiple developers will each get two years development time, allowing EA to stick to its traditional annual release schedule without reducing quality.

While November NFS games will differ on account of the studios behind them, Soderlund promise.

"We want Auto Log to be something that follows with the consumer to the next NFS product," he explained. "We want them to use their log in and their details they had from the previous game into the next. If they're a loyal consumer to us we would reward them for that."

Despite the plan, Soderlund refused to confirm that Guildford developer Criterion is now a NFS exclusive studio. "What happens to Criterion in the future, we'll see," he offered. Soderlund also confirmed that the Burnout series, loved by so many of Criterion's fans, is not dead.

"I hope to see more Burnout games in the future. But it's about prioritising what we want to do. At this point we haven't made a decision to whether Burnout does this or that, but it's not dead for sure, no."

And on Shift, which debuted last year with Slightly Mad's effort, Soderlund outlined ambitious plans for EA to overtake Sony's Gran Turismo series and Microsoft's Forza franchise as gaming's leading simulation racer.

"We think we can compete and ultimately become market leading in the simulation authentic motorsport segment," he said.

"One of the strongest points we have is, apart from the fact we have a very talented developer working with us and we now have an established brand underneath the NFS umbrella in that segment, we also have the advantage of being a multi-platform offering.

"Forza can only be bought on Xbox and Gran Turismo is only available on PlayStation. We're the only one right now that is of a significant weight that can offer something up on all those platforms."
They say that every year.
#3 - senn
if it's good i'll play it.

I severely doubt NFS could rival GT or even Forza tho. They have a lot of catching up to do.

I miss games (any game) where you had to escape the police and it actually felt like a challenge. it's too easy nowadays.
What the NFS franchise really needs to do is bring out Underground 3.

I've had all NFS series from number 1 on original playstaion and in my opinion underground was the most fun, especially with the online ranking system taking out your fully pimped rx7, Skyline, S2000 with it's personalized features.

When they try to be all sim like it FAILS

I think, Underground 3, epic graphics and customization arcade/sim physics similar to that of shift (NOT PRO STEET)
Quote from FPVaaron :What the NFS franchise really needs to do is bring out Underground 3.

I've had all NFS series from number 1 on original playstaion and in my opinion underground was the most fun, especially with the online ranking system taking out your fully pimped rx7, Skyline, S2000 with it's personalized features.

Yeah, that was win, I used to love beating people in a hummer, There is just something about racing SUV's at 120+ makes me smile.
Did I miss something? Since when are GT and Forza any close to simulation games?
Quote from Bose321 :Did I miss something? Since when are GT and Forza any close to simulation games?

Since that parallel universe without LFS happened.
wtf he been smoking? nothing will come close to gt5 for quite a while and nfs games has always been about as realistic as supermario.
Quote from Bose321 :Did I miss something? Since when are GT and Forza any close to simulation games?

Don't know about Forza (never played it) but Gran Turismo Time Trial Demo (released last december/november, like a early version of GT5) was awesome to me. Maybe not as 'detailed' as LFS physics, but better then rFactor and similiar sims a lot, to me at least. So yes, GT is trying to be a sim.

And lol for this article!
#10 - JJ72
more competition the better.

and at least for NFS......no more 360 VS PS3 wars!
-
(brandons48) DELETED by brandons48
Quote from brandons48 :Forza's Vinyls and Engine Swaps + GT5's cars, graphics ,weather, performance parts + Refined LFS Physics, setups, autocross + Codemasters' Menu design and damage = Best driving game... ever?

Why the hell don't they just all team up

Fixed
Was reading VitualR couple days ago, and apparently the pre released version of Shift had much, much better physics. But for some reason they decided to dumb it all down...

Well, we'll see what happens with Shift 2.
Quote from senn :
I miss games (any game) where you had to escape the police and it actually felt like a challenge. it's too easy nowadays.

This comes to mind...
Quote from DevilDare :Was reading VitualR couple days ago, and apparently the pre released version of Shift had much, much better physics. But for some reason they decided to dumb it all down...

Well, we'll see what happens with Shift 2.

Because the average gamer went..

OMG LOL! DAT CAR WONT TURN! ITS THE FASTEST CAR WITH ALL PROFORMENCE UPGRAEDE AND IT WONT TURN WTF WTF SUCKKY ASS GAME.

That my friends is why alot of simulation games get dumbed down.
i'm not a big fan of NFS's series but kinda not boring game bcuz of customization but sometimes I look NFS is like a exagerated racing game
#16 - Osco
I stopped playing NFS as soon as they suggested using NOS to gain rear wheel traction. Nothing good will come from this
Quote from Osco :I stopped playing NFS as soon as they suggested using NOS to gain rear wheel traction. Nothing good will come from this

Where did you see this? And they are talking about simulations, I'm pretty sure they will get it without NOS. Shift's Nitrous was kinda realistic.
Quote from TehPaws3D :Where did you see this?

IIRC it's a piece of "advice" given in Underground 2.
#19 - Woz
Well I played a bit of NFS World Online last night as it is free. It's a lagtastic game of bumper cars. Utter POS
Quote from TehPaws3D :Where did you see this? And they are talking about simulations, I'm pretty sure they will get it without NOS. Shift's Nitrous was kinda realistic.

It was about the only realistic part of the game. I got to the challenge in the Mclaren SLR or the Dodge Viper. The Mclaren bounced around uncontrollably (no joke) and the Dodge for some reason was glitched so it wouldn't move no matter what gear you put it in! I soon traded it in and bough PURE instead.

Gotta support the company behind Miley Cyrs, right!?
Quote from Osco :I stopped playing NFS as soon as they suggested using NOS to gain rear wheel traction.

Quote from TehPaws3D :Where did you see this?

Quote from morpha :It's a piece of "advice" given in Underground 2.

As mentioned, that tip was in made in reference to Underground 2, which has quirky physics with magical nitrous that does increase rear tire grip. Underground 2 models oversteer in turns, but it's not an issue unless the car is on grass or cobblestones (shortcuts), and using nitrous if on a slick surface does prevent the cars from excessive oversteer (or spinning). Otherwise, nitrous is used conventially to increase speed on the straights.

NFS Undercover has magical nitrous that greatly increases downforce, so much so that it is best to use nitrous in turns and over jumps (to reduce or eliminate air time), even with partial throttle, and for Undercover nitrous is mostly used in turns.

There was also a reference to using nitrous similarly in NFS World in an older "Ask Marc (DeVellis)" video, but in this case the effect doesn't exist, or it's masked by the fact that oversteer and understeer are virtually non-existant (perhaps through some hidden assist).

I'm not aware of any other NFS game where nitrous has a direct or otherwise unexpected effect on handling. NFS Shift only uses nitrous on the lower rated cars, which includes 3 of the 5 online classes (4.0, 6.0, 10.0). The top classes don't have nitrous (14.0, unrestricted).

As far as comparasons between NFS Shift and the console "sim-oriented" type games. the PC version of NFS shift is reasonably realistic. NFS Shift exaggerates the amount of oversteer used in turns, but it gives you a sense of what the rear end of a car is doing, and it looks cool. Control inputs aren't very sensitive either, as once in 3rd or 4th gear, you can take most turns at full throttle without fear of oversteer because of internal hidden assists preventing excessive yaw. You can spin out the faster cars in lower gears, but there aren't that many slow speed turns in the tracks used in NFS Shift, and in some cases steering inputs are enough to control oversteer with a minimum of throttle modulation.

As far as the future of NFS racing games or racing games in general, I'm not so sure. Autosimsport, a sim-oriented racing online magazine, hasn't published a new magazine since about a year ago. iRacing is in a somewhat niche market with about 10,000 active players. LFS has been stuck for over 2 years trying to fix the tire physics, and it's essentially a 5 to 7 year old game (S2, S1). I'm not sure when rFactor 2 will be released or what it will be like. I'm wonder how many more NFS games or at least PC versions of NFS games will be made after Shift 2, my guess is perhaps 1 or 2 more.

In terms of sales numbers, the NFS series has been dominant. In the heydays of racing games, NFS Underground 2 and Most Wanted sold 9 million copies each. Carbon, ProStreet, and Undercover about 5 million copies (took longer for Undercover to get to 5 million sales though). I don't know the numbers for NFS Shift, but it's more than any console specific racing game.
I don't think the new Hot Pursuit game will match GT5, but I think there will be a lot of players. I am thinking of trying it out or even buy it, it seems like a fun game which I probally could enjoy racing around in - even if it's not a simulator at all.

A good easy-minded action game, nothing wrong with that
I enjoyed shift, no its not a good simulation, but it has good car models, good track models, and an interesting career mode that I actually felt like completing.
Quote from DodgeRacer :I enjoyed shift, no its not a good simulation, but it has good car models, good track models, and an interesting career mode that I actually felt like completing.

True, I also quite like Shift. Plus, I think I was one of 4 guys on this planet who actually though ProStreet was the best NfS since Porsche.

But I think the Codemasters games sell well too. IIRC, Race Driver Grid overtook the NfS franchise, at least the contemporary part.

(24 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG