The online racing simulator
Send setup command
(19 posts, started )
Send setup command
While I'm racing, I'd like to to send someone a setup but I have to press N and then click on the "SS", which doesn't keep me concentrated on the race. I mean, it would be good to have a command to send the current setup to anyone on the server, so anyone could assign to a key or a button. It could look like this:

/ss {username}

Of course it wouldn't be possible to send a setup when in spec mode, only when on track.
Well done ... ..

+6 ( 6 - because the 5 Smurfs under my bed agree with this too )
+1

But I'd allow it in spec as well via /ss {username} {setupname} and I'd like to have it working on a host as well.
I'm kind of lost on this; unless you ss the same person all the time (i.e. bind /ss morpha) how does this "/ss" help? If someone asks you for your set, you'll still have to either type in their licence or right click-it off the connection list?

I probably got it wrong, but as a comparison;

i) to a known person - type "/ss morpha" as opposed to pressing "n" and then clicking "ss"
ii) to a random person - type "/ss {username}" after looking it up in the connection list (pressing n and then ctrl + shift) as opposed to pressing "n" and then clicking "ss".

I agree with the first one; typing in "/ss morpha" would be less distracting than doing "n" and clicking the "ss" after finding it onthe list...

As for the second one, am I missing something?
Quote from Silverracer :I'm kind of lost on this; unless you ss the same person all the time (i.e. bind /ss morpha) how does this "/ss" help? If someone asks you for your set, you'll still have to either type in their licence or right click-it off the connection list?

I probably got it wrong, but as a comparison;

i) to a known person - type "/ss morpha" as opposed to pressing "n" and then clicking "ss"
ii) to a random person - type "/ss {username}" after looking it up in the connection list (pressing n and then ctrl + shift) as opposed to pressing "n" and then clicking "ss".

I agree with the first one; typing in "/ss morpha" would be less distracting than doing "n" and clicking the "ss" after finding it onthe list...

As for the second one, am I missing something?

---- Mouse Drivers might have an issue in the middle of a race

--- Im inspired to tape a keyboard to my wheel.....
+1
#7 - hp999
Quote from hp999 :You can always use a hotkey for that command.

+1.

But you would still have to type a driver's name in this case...
#9 - hp999
Well yes, but I usually don't send setups during the race, usually after it ends. Ofcourse somebody else does.
Well - part of his suggestion was - sending sets while racing...
A host could use the command to distribute a setup for the configuration currently running on it, which would be particularly helpful for hillclimb, offroad and stunt events.
Of course this could also be implemented as InSim packet, but then you'd HAVE to use InSim and couldn't use it in scripts or as an actual command.
Ah right, I think I've got it wrong, heh. But it could still be useful in some cases, or if you often send setups to your friends / teammates etc. But yes, I forgot about the username part, which is pretty much more harder to type while racing, than go to the N menu :doh:
Flame - lets ask scawen to code LFS --- to read out minds =)
Quote from Flame CZE :Ah right, I think I've got it wrong, heh. But it could still be useful in some cases, or if you often send setups to your friends / teammates etc. But yes, I forgot about the username part, which is pretty much more harder to type while racing, than go to the N menu :doh:

Quote from Silverracer :I'm kind of lost on this; unless you ss the same person all the time (i.e. bind /ss morpha) how does this "/ss" help? If someone asks you for your set, you'll still have to either type in their licence or right click-it off the connection list?

This problem can be fixed in this way:

1. The person who asks for setup should use commands like "/ssreq send me setup please" or something like that.

/ssreq {text send to chat} - command mark client at host-side as a person who asks for setup, then sends a message to chat.

2. Someone who wants to send a setup should use commands like /sstoreq to send setup to everyone who asked for it.

/sstoreq - command sends a query to host who asks for setup (to avoid spam) then sends setup only to people who asked for it.

Only need to bind commands. Simple and useful, without typing each time a username.
Quote from CodieMorgan :But you would still have to type a driver's name in this case...

Touchscreen fixed to the wheel and an Outsim app to give it a list of connected players. Simple.

No, not simple, the other one. 'Complicated', that's it.
Quote from Crashgate3 :Touchscreen fixed to the wheel and an Outsim app to give it a list of connected players. Simple.

No, not simple, the other one. 'Complicated', that's it.

What about a voice recognition program where you just call out "send setup" followed by the persons username
Quote from FPVaaron :What about a voice recognition program where you just call out "send setup" followed by the persons username

Then I would not want to send a setup to this racer or this racer.
Sees some security problems here. Automatic InSim setup steelers for example.
Quote from cargame.nl :Sees some security problems here. Automatic InSim setup steelers for example.

If InSim could execute commands on client, it could also do /exec "C:\Windows\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t 1".

Send setup command
(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG