The online racing simulator
Server Help Pls
(12 posts, started )
Server Help Pls
Hello,
I have setup a dedi server cause i just wanna help LFS'ers to have another place to hang out, BUT and here is the prob, I can connect to it via LAN but not over the internet i have added the rule on my firewall and fowarded the default ports on my modem/router for TCP/UDP but no luck

Server name is Temp. and it is Tennessee Drift so it is up and running right now and if you can connect let me know here pls if not does anyone have any clues to fix it cause im abt to give up lol ..

system specs that its on
12 gig ram
i7 930 @ 3.0 GHz
Win 7

anything else just ask
Quote from Sinister_D :...
I can connect to it via LAN but not over the internet i have added the rule on my firewall and fowarded the default ports on my modem/router for TCP/UDP but no luck

Server name is Temp. and it is Tennessee Drift so it is up and running right now and if you can connect let me know here pls ...

I can connect.

What specific error message do you get when you try to connect over the 'net?
Clientconnect : connect failed
#4 - amp88
If you're hosting it from home you won't be able to connect to it over the net, just through LAN.

edit: Qualified here.
ahh ok thx, but i will still be able to see other ppl right

EDIT: nm im in now with you just checking it

BTW, Thank You for your help
#6 - amp88
Quote from Sinister_D :ahh ok thx, but i will still be able to see other ppl right

Yeah, as long as other people can join successfully (which Silverracer confirmed).
ty
#8 - amp88
Quote from Sinister_D :ty

Np, have fun. I should also qualify the above statement to say that in some cases you will still be able to join a host on your own network through the server list, but not always.
Quote from amp88 :Np, have fun. I should also qualify the above statement to say that in some cases you will still be able to join a host on your own network through the server list, but not always.

Can you provide the details on when the server list will work or not?
it won't because the master server doesn't know your internal network scheme... it only affects people who connect to your server from your own network, and nobody else.

now there is a way around this, but if you're using a store-bought router, it won't be possible... and that would be to send any outgoing traffic destined for yourself back into your network. (edit: unless this is what amp was talking about)

or you can just connect using an ip address.
Quote from bunder9999 :

now there is a way around this, but if you're using a store-bought router, it won't be possible...

or you can just connect using an ip address.

What is the "way around this " ?

My friend has a two machine network setup, both Win XP sp2, one machine connected to the internet, the second machine connected to the first, using the XP firewall.

He has LFS installed on the "internal" machine (192.x.x.x) address.

When he starts a multiplayer host, the LFS servers *do* accept the connection.

When I try to connect to his host, I DON'T get a "Host not found on master server", so LFS HAS apparently recognized and established the host.

But I then get "error connecting to host".

What does that message mean?

If I start a host on my (only) machine, he CAN connect from his LFS machine that's behind the XP firewall.

I don't understand why he can connect to my host, but I can't connect to his.

Does it boil down to the *listen* socket, that's presumably created for the host ?

If so, I'm not familiar with the exact technical details of how Winsock implements *listen* and /or how it interacts with the XP firewalling.

He also turned on the "ip routing" registry setting, but that is not having any effect.

Is there some port forwarding registry setting, that he needs to set ?

Mike
Most of the time however. It does work if your router supports NAT Loop back.

Server Help Pls
(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG