The online racing simulator
LFS "demo" users
(171 posts, closed, started )
ATiRAGEPRO... Dude, The COLOR!

I used to be against it.. But reading some more posts I suppose, Demo could be limited to one month subscription, Every month you pay 5 dollars, Seems reasonable.

Or, Include a D-R-M type feature that checks for a account BEFORE you play. To insure not just anyone can go and crack the game.

Maybe it would be a dollar a month? At least something to show the developers some (Sorta) Love.

I 1+ The subscription.
Quote from anihilation :

I've tried some cheap wheels (~$75) but they would either be too vague (non responsive?) or not work at all.

have you tried to look for second hand wheels? My teammate got me a dfp in perfect condition for 70$(should get with a lot less by now). It was a few yars back and still in same shape.
Quote from ATiRAGEPRO :They can do that even if the demo has a trial period that expires in 30 days.

This is already the best, if not one of the best racing sims on the market, and doesn't require a monthly subscription. You know, when people like a game, they normally tend to BUY the game that they like. Now I know there are a few lowlife idiots out there who like to torrent games off the internet as apposed to paying for them, but for the most part, people pay for games they want. Just saying.

No they can't.You see most people may try the game with a crappy wheel or even a ...gasp keyboard !! They may eventually buy a decent steering wheel and then they are going to try some simulators with it.If they have lfs installed on their pc they may go the extra step and buy it.Also as i said before the game as incredible as it is on physics its really behind on other stuff.If a new,lets say vastly superior version comes up(With dx9 render,shaders,bloom,hdr etc..),a lot of people will be impressed or satisfied with the progress lfs has shown and decide finally to try it.If they have deleted the game do you think they are going to constantly check for newer versions ? I think not.And the only game that has monthly suscription is i-racing and a lot of people have given up on it even through it has improved hugely.

Quote from ATiRAGEPRO :
soooooo... Demo users have to pay to maintain servers, but the developers don't have to get paid to for developing this game?

You know, I was one of those people supporting a demo without more restrictions, but your comment kinda pissed me off. :gnasher:

Some demo users have private servers they pay a shitload of money to keep running and have on them servers of various games.Having a demo server were people will join when trying the demo will give potential buyers a great experience of the full game and without having the developers to keep running servers by themselves.So those people help the developers to advertise their product yet you are pissed .ok...

Quote from ATiRAGEPRO :
I am one of the people who thinks that the demo shouldn't be restricted, but as a software developer, I believe that the 3 developers have every right in the world to make as much money from their investment as they want. What the f*** does how much money they "need" have to do with anything??? THIS IS A F***ING BUSINESS!!! This isn't Government assistance for sh!t sake! What these people do with their own money is their business!

I find it reprehensible of you to even to say something like "And on another matter lfs is being programmed by 3 people.How much money do they need to keep developing?" AS MUCH MONEY AS THEY WANT!!!! We aren't buying the game so the developers can hurry up and make S3, we're buying the game because WE LIKE THE GAME WE BOUGHT!! The developers have no obligation to KISS YOUR ASS, either you like the game or you dont! If you don't like the game, DON'T BUY IT! What the hell do you mean "how much money do they "need" to continue developing? What the hell do you care?

The licenses aren't annual subscriptions, and you only have to pay for them one time.

So you are a software developer ? Yeah right and i am the toothfairy.You sound like an angry 13 year old.
I do hope the devs sell as much licenses as they can.They made something good and they deserve to gain something from it.Other people release shit%$% and gain money so when people make something good they deserve to gain money.BUT WHAT I CONSTANTLY READ IN THESE forums is bul#$%$ that the devs cannot continue developing if more people do not buy s2 lisenses or that they cannot get more people to help them because they do not have money....I am sick of those excuses.For two reasons.First they probably earned enough to not have to work for the next 10 years and keep a high lifestyle(With the recent economic crysis many people barely get 20.000 income yearly...)
And second many many people here tried and ARE willing to give free help to the devs(for example models of cars and tracks) for nothing.The only thing they would ask is a mention in the credits...

Quote from ATiRAGEPRO :
Big companies like EA and Activision can afford to go down on the price due to merchandising. Big companies actually have copies of their games on store shelves, therefore, It becomes essential for distributors to lower the prices to the store they are selling to after a while, in order to increase the demand for their product. Indie developers typically can't afford, or have no Idea how to do that.

I hope one day there will be box copies of this game available in stores. Seems like a good idea to me.

Quote from justasimfan :No they can't.You see most people may try the game with a crappy wheel or even a ...gasp keyboard !! They may eventually buy a decent steering wheel and then they are going to try some simulators with it.If they have lfs installed on their pc they may go the extra step and buy it.

So what?

Quote from justasimfan :Also as i said before the game as incredible as it is on physics its really behind on other stuff.If a new,lets say vastly superior version comes up(With dx9 render,shaders,bloom,hdr etc..),a lot of people will be impressed or satisfied with the progress lfs has shown and decide finally to try it.

Good for them.

Quote from justasimfan :If they have deleted the game do you think they are going to constantly check for newer versions ? I think not.And the only game that has monthly suscription is i-racing and a lot of people have given up on it even through it has improved hugely.

This had nothing to do with the comment I made. Either someone likes the game, or they don't. People aren't buying this game for the Z9 update, and I cant imagine anything more idiotic than not buying this game because the scirocco wasn't released yet.

Quote from justasimfan :Some demo users have private servers they pay a shitload of money to keep running and have on them servers of various games.

Now when you say "private" server, I assume you mean a in-home server, and if that's the case, than your comment makes no sense. You can buy any Piece of sh!t eMachine and make it a dedicated server, and you will only have to pay for it ONE TIME! there is no annual cost for this kind of thing. Expenses such as internet access and electricity are already necessities in any home, and one doesn't pay their electric bill for the SOLE PURPOSE of keeping the server running. You don't have to feed and bathe the g0d damn thing!

Quote from justasimfan :Having a demo server were people will join when trying the demo will give potential buyers a great experience of the full game and without having the developers to keep running servers by themselves.So those people help the developers to advertise their product yet you are pissed .ok...

Again, that has nothing to do with any comment I made in my reply at all. In fact, this would be the fourth time I said that I was against further restricting the demo I have no problem with demo users, for Christ sake! I have a problem with this particular comment:

Quote :And on another matter lfs is being programmed by 3 people.How much money do they need to keep developing ? There are at least 20.000 subscribers with each having paid around $ 20-40

Quote from justasimfan :So you are a software developer ? Yeah right and i am the toothfairy.You sound like an angry 13 year old.

This has to be the weakest insult I have ever seen in my entire life. I don't even know where to begin to remark oupon the senselessness of what you just wrote. I could see if I said that I was a
Theoretical Physicist from Princeton university or something, but we're talking about SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT. C is not exactly "sacred knowledge" hidden in secret underground tunnels in the pyramids of Egypt, reserved for the cultural elite. Anyone that knows how to use a search engine can learn to write software. (The Irony of that statement is that I started writing software when I was 13.)

Quote from justasimfan :I do hope the devs sell as much licenses as they can.They made something good and they deserve to gain something from it.Other people release shit%$% and gain money so when people make something good they deserve to gain money.BUT WHAT I CONSTANTLY READ IN THESE forums is bul#$%$ that the devs cannot continue developing if more people do not buy s2 lisenses.

And what I constantly read on these forums are Emos whining about not being able to drive the Scirocco yet, and complaining like a bunch of p!ssants that the update is taking to long, and that the developers are either lazy or should stop the Scirocco all-together.

Quote from justasimfan :...or that they cannot get more people to help them because they do not have money....I am sick of those excuses.For two reasons.First they probably earned enough to not have to work for the next 10 years and keep a high lifestyle(With the recent economic crysis many people barely get 20.000 income yearly...)

Though I may agree that those excuses are completely ridiculous, you are both wrong.

A software developer needs money to eat and have a roof over their head, and chances are the majority of the money they need is not going to come from their own software. An indie developer needs A JOB. Even if they only work a 9 to 5, chances are they aren't going to have all the free time in the world to dedicate to a software's development anyway. It doesn't cost MONEY to make software, it costs TIME, and when you are an Adult living in a capitalist society, chances are, you don't have all the time in the world to spend on your own software. Scawen may have a wife and kids for all we know, and if you are an Adult with a wife or a child, your time is going to be spent with them, not so much your software. Now if LFS were the developers main source of income, that would be a completely different story.

Both sides of this debate should keep in mind that the people behind this game might actually have LIVES. When you say something like:
Quote :they probably earned enough to not have to work for the next 10 years and keep a high lifestyle(With the recent economic crysis many people barely get 20.000 income yearly...)

... that is a statement that insinuates that they don't need to make money from their game because they "probably" have so much of it already, which is outright disrespectful. People tend to have this attitude that the money we spend on this game is some kind of allowance we give to the developers, as a special favor in order for them to release the Z9 patch earlier like a bunch of loan sharks, which is unbelievably arrogant and hilarious. Who the hell cares? why are we even discussing these people's budgets?? Who are you to say how much money is enough?

Quote from justasimfan :And second many many people here tried and ARE willing to give free help to the devs(for example models of cars and tracks) for nothing.The only thing they would ask is a mention in the credits...

... I think the devs are just scared that releasing the source of the game might cause someone to f*** up the physics of the game or something. Maybe they think the first guy they release the source to is going to make it public so that people will start pirating it on torrent sites or something. To be honest, I wouldn't want someone to d!ck around with the SRC of something I sell either.
Quote from justasimfan :...If you restrict the demo than i quarantee you many future buyers will be lost...

quarantee + 'n' = quaranteen = quarantine

Result:
Quote :...quarantine you many future buyers...

/thread :monkey:
Quote from justasimfan :BUT WHAT I CONSTANTLY READ IN THESE forums is bul#$%$ that the devs cannot continue developing if more people do not buy s2 lisenses or that they cannot get more people to help them because they do not have money....I am sick of those excuses.

Could you give 10 or at least 5 links to posts saying that? Should be easy for you to find since you CONSTANTLY READ THAT ON HERE.
justasimfan | ATiRAGEPRO

There's no need to insult anyone.. Can't you guys just have a nice normal discussion? Seems like we're going to insulting and stuff.. And that's not cool.

Quote from TehPaws3D :justasimfan | ATiRAGEPRO

There's no need to insult anyone.. Can't you guys just have a nice normal discussion? Seems like we're going to insulting and stuff.. And that's not cool.

I don't recall insulting anyone. Are we reading the same posts, dude?
Quote from ATiRAGEPRO :

... I think the devs are just scared that releasing the source of the game might cause someone to f*** up the physics of the game or something. Maybe they think the first guy they release the source to is going to make it public so that people will start pirating it on torrent sites or something. To be honest, I wouldn't want someone to d!ck around with the SRC of something I sell either.

But i posted here countless times asking the devs to simply make contest for people to make high quality models(minus the badges) for the existing cars or for upcoming cars.The same with tracks make contest for the best track update or for the best track and leave the final decision of what to integrade in the actual game to the devs themselves.That way they don't have to release the sourse code and physics are still going to be handled by themselves.Only the models would be changed and after a few months some incredible models will be made.

All the above by simply making a contest mention in the main page of lfs.

People would not ask for money.The only thing they would ask is a mention in the credits section.This way the devs don't have any reason to be afraid of anything..
i started posting in lfs forums after many years because its a pity that we have many talented modelers and textures (just take a look at LFSMODS and have in mind most models there are work of a few days each and the modders that made them knew that most people wont try them because they do not want to replace the main files) and the devs do not use their help.

There are even 3d marketplaces that sell for reasonable prices some amazing car models.....

Just have a look here :
http://www.turbosquid.com/Search/3D-Models/Vehicle/Car

Honestly i cannot believe that for $ 100-150 you can get some ultra detailed car models full with their interiors that are 10000 times better looking than the current models .
Let me get the straight, $100-$150 is ok for high quality models yet $40.00 US is too expensive to buy the sim in the first place?

Makes perfect sense
I am talking for game development costs............

Large companies shed a shitload of money to make a game.(For example killzone 2 costed around $ 50.000.000 .

Indy developers do not have that much amount of money.But spending $1000 for updating the existing models with super detailed versions and with another

$1000 adding another dozen of cars each a steal for them.The physics for the current cars would stay unchanged and if they add new cars they would only have to adjust their physics as models and interiors would be fully modeled.

When there are thousands of lfs players starving for some new content how much does it cost to the devs to update their dated looking cars with ultra high detail cars and double the amount of cars with only having to work on physics ? (There are currently 20000-25000 lfs s2 players that payed $40 each so spending $1000-$2000 for those cars are literary a steal.
So if we have ultra high detail cars, we have more racers?

Doubt that.

More kiddies crashing, I'm afraid.

Quote from justasimfan :
Honestly i cannot believe that for $ 100-150 you can get

Just for $32 you can get S2, I cannot believe that!
I think you don't understand.Those $100-150 for each cars are property rights.The devs can use those cars as they want as they "buy" it.You are not going to pay yourself that money to have those cars installed.The devs can buy them and integrade them in lfs immediately.The original authors don't care if Scawen,Victor and Eric make $100.000 more because they used those cars to update their game.Understand now ?

People are willing to model for free but Scawen ,Victor and Eric keep refusing The reason they give is that they are afraid about the quality of the content.That is not really a problem as i explained by making contest only top notch stuff will get used...

But now there is no excuse.Those cars models are incredible and with work done only on physics the devs can add many more cars in a matter of a few weeks.

We are all waiting for almost 5 years for new content.We are waiting for ....ahem one car,the scirocco for almost 2.5 years....

In that 3d market there are a few dozen triple AAA quality car models with fully modeled interiors ready to be used for literary peanuts....

I didn't even knew such incredible quality models existed for sale to be honest.

Again if Scawen,Victor and Eric read this take those MODELS !!!!
Quote from justasimfan :I think you don't understand.Those $100-150 for each cars are property rights.The devs can use those cars as they want as they "buy" it.You are not going to pay yourself that money to have those cars installed.The devs can buy them and integrade them in lfs immediately.The original authors don't care if Scawen,Victor and Eric make $100.000 more because they used those cars to update their game.Understand now ?

It's not like you can just drag and drop some rendered masterpiece into a game, You have to down size it a little as we are running with DX8. We might even upgrade to DX10 or DX9 on the patch, But that's a long shot, Those high detailed cars are probably cars that have taken days or hours to render, And you can't put that car in the game. It'd look so out of place it's not even funny, Plus you have to have it low quality too so the lower end computers have some what of a chance. You have to make sure it's not glitching, Alot of stuff.

Quote from justasimfan :People are willing to model for free but Scawen ,Victor and Eric keep refusing The reason they give is that they are afraid about the quality of the content.That is not really a problem as i explained by making contest only top notch stuff will get used...

It's not about the quality it's about the quantity, Sure, You have some guys that could make super high detailed cars for LFS, Which is awesome, But how do they know what power the engine is, How do they know how to "Make it fair" So you don't have one car used because it's got so many advantages. Then you have the problem if it's freetime creators then you could have hundreds or thousands of useless car models that one a selected few use. Then you have the hundreds of skins and setups that could accompany it, And we aren't talking about replacing a FZR with a Porsche, Cause we already have illegal VOB. mods. We're talking about a physical NEW car.

Quote from justasimfan :But now there is no excuse.Those cars models are incredible and with work done only on physics the devs can add many more cars in a matter of a few weeks.

True, We could have 150 for all we care, But it causes to much clutter for three people to work on, You'll have glitches that are seldom ever fixed, Graphic glitches, All sorts, If you get much more cars and tracks, Then you basically are turning LFS a standby mode. Until they get more people working with them, Or more people Helping, Or raise the price, Make LFS 50$ for S2 and 25$ for S1, That could atleast put 5 people working on it.

Quote from justasimfan :We are all waiting for almost 5 years for new content.We are waiting for ....ahem one car,the scirocco for almost 2.5 years....

Yes but that's all you know, They could have a few new cars waiting that aren't even named, Or have anything to preview, And even if it's just ONE car, I answered it above, It's most likely not going to be glitchy at all, Allowing them to nicely move on to other cars/tracks, And what do you expect three people to do.. They have lives too..

Quote from justasimfan :In that 3d market there are a few dozen triple AAA quality car models with fully modeled interiors ready to be used for literary peanuts....

Yeah, But what's the problem with the ones we have, Sure, It's not alot, But it will improve.

Quote from justasimfan : Again if Scawen,Victor and Eric read this take those MODELS !!!!

I for one don't want newer models, It's going to cause me to have to download more.. And then you have the millions of possible models.. So i -1 this idea, They are going fine.
Am I the only one getting really annoyed by "justasimfan"?

He basically has 43 posts (atm) saying exactly the same thing, just with slightly different words. The devs don't want to add user-made contest at this point and that's it. It's their game/sim and they can decide that without giving a specific reason. It's fine if you post your suggestion once but you don't have to post the same post in every thread in the General LFS Discussion and Improvement Suggestions forums.

Why didn't you use your original account (I don't know who you are but it's pretty obvious that it's a 2nd account), btw? Or is that one bent?
Quote from zeugnimod :Am I the only one getting really annoyed by "justasimfan"?

He basically has 43 posts (atm) saying exactly the same thing, just with slightly different words. The devs don't want to add user-made contest at this point and that's it. It's their game/sim and they can decide that without giving a specific reason. It's fine if you post your suggestion once but you don't have to post the same post in every thread in the General LFS Discussion and Improvement Suggestions forums.

Why didn't you use your original account (I don't know who you are but it's pretty obvious that it's a 2nd account), btw? Or is that one bent?

+1 i thought it could be a 2nd account too. any users get banned last month?
Quote from justasimfan :I think you don't understand.

Again if Scawen,Victor and Eric read this take those MODELS !!!!

I think you don't understand me. Why are you yelling about MODELS!!!!

If you are too lazy TO BUY SSSSSS TWWWWOOO!!!

$100 - $150 are not the property rights btw. Don't you think a car company is going to complain if one of their models is used this way?

And if you think $100 - $150 is nothing, go buy S2, you fool {B.A. Baracus mode}
it is unbelievable how greedy some people can be!
lfs is one of the games i´m playing for years and we recieved countless updates and features for free in this time. how can anybody be envy of a demo user? most people just don´t get the different business modell of lfs anyways. if the devs were like any other game company we would be probably at lfs part 7 or 8 now and had to pay five times the money for every part.
just tell me three other games from 2001 to 2004 that you still play and that are not open for modding to keep you on it! you see?
why do you not let have other people have fun with the limited content of the demo? if the devs have any problems with that "overuse" of the demo the can restrict it anytime they want! if they choose to leave the demo unrestricted than respect that decision. also they did infact "restrict" the demo in the way that you have to register now to get rid of the worst wreckers.

so instead of picking on the poor demo users encourage them to play clean and fair and convince them to buy a licence to multiply the fun they have in the full version.

peace, mo
came in to my lfs server server name is hp???? just drive
Quote from TehPaws3D :It's not like you can just drag and drop some rendered masterpiece into a game, You have to down size it a little as we are running with DX8. We might even upgrade to DX10 or DX9 on the patch, But that's a long shot, Those high detailed cars are probably cars that have taken days or hours to render, And you can't put that car in the game. It'd look so out of place it's not even funny, Plus you have to have it low quality too so the lower end computers have some what of a chance. You have to make sure it's not glitching, Alot of stuff.

Techpaws3d actually you can put those masterpieces easily in the game.They are 3d studio files and all you have to do is save/convert them to dds format something that can be easily done with a converter...

You don't have to upgrade to newer dx versions as those cars simply have extreme polygon numbers and very high resolutions textures.

And for older computer you can simply decrease the polygon quantity and save the car on another dds file.Depending of the quality option for cars chosen in the option the game could use a low -medium or high polygon number model.And about glitches -there are none.Those models are full my friend...Glitches occur when models are unfinished and have wrong joints,textures that do not much or unfinished interiors.Those cars are PERFECTLY MODELED SO there is no fear for a single glitch !

Quote from TehPaws3D :
It's not about the quality it's about the quantity, Sure, You have some guys that could make super high detailed cars for LFS, Which is awesome, But how do they know what power the engine is, How do they know how to "Make it fair" So you don't have one car used because it's got so many advantages. Then you have the problem if it's freetime creators then you could have hundreds or thousands of useless car models that one a selected few use. Then you have the hundreds of skins and setups that could accompany it, And we aren't talking about replacing a FZR with a Porsche, Cause we already have illegal VOB. mods. We're talking about a physical NEW car.

True, We could have 150 for all we care, But it causes to much clutter for three people to work on, You'll have glitches that are seldom ever fixed, Graphic glitches, All sorts, If you get much more cars and tracks, Then you basically are turning LFS a standby mode. Until they get more people working with them, Or more people Helping, Or raise the price, Make LFS 50$ for S2 and 25$ for S1, That could atleast put 5 people working on it.

Yes but that's all you know, They could have a few new cars waiting that aren't even named, Or have anything to preview, And even if it's just ONE car, I answered it above, It's most likely not going to be glitchy at all, Allowing them to nicely move on to other cars/tracks, And what do you expect three people to do.. They have lives too..

Yeah, But what's the problem with the ones we have, Sure, It's not alot, But it will improve.

I for one don't want newer models, It's going to cause me to have to download more.. And then you have the millions of possible models.. So i -1 this idea, They are going fine.

Techpaws3d as i said previously those models are PERFECT by any means of imagination.They have NO glitches.

Also no physics are going to be touched.Just the basic models replaced with those incredible ones.
For the cars that are not featured already in lfs the physics will be made by the devs.

Its a real pity if those models are not used.
anywon is cand off lonley thear
you can drift on it come on the server plz anywon
Quote from dadge :+1 i thought it could be a 2nd account too. any users get banned last month?

No idea.

It's also interesting how he only responds to posts where he can answer with his usual "the devs don't have an excuse for not having user-made content" post.
plz came in to the server plz
Quote from justasimfan :Techpaws3d actually you can put those masterpieces easily in the game.They are 3d studio files and all you have to do is save/convert them to dds format something that can be easily done with a converter...

You don't have to upgrade to newer dx versions as those cars simply have extreme polygon numbers and very high resolutions textures.

And for older computer you can simply decrease the polygon quantity and save the car on another dds file.Depending of the quality option for cars chosen in the option the game could use a low -medium or high polygon number model.And about glitches -there are none.Those models are full my friend...Glitches occur when models are unfinished and have wrong joints,textures that do not much or unfinished interiors.Those cars are PERFECTLY MODELED SO there is no fear for a single glitch !

Techpaws3d as i said previously those models are PERFECT by any means of imagination.They have NO glitches.

Also no physics are going to be touched.Just the basic models replaced with those incredible ones.
For the cars that are not featured already in lfs the physics will be made by the devs.

Its a real pity if those models are not used.

Okay, First, Learn how to spell my name TehPaws3D How in hell did you get Tech?

Second, If it's so easy, To create these car models, Where is your proof? I"m getting slightly pissed off with you, It's not like you can slap a car Which remind you was RENDERED. Into a game, And put tires on it and say "Off yeh go!?" No, It doesn't work that way, You have to make sure it works WITH THE PHYSICS And then you have to make all the setup options, And make sure it handles to "Sim" reality.

Third, The cars in game do not run off DDS, They run off VOB. Having two files would be most likely carnage in the files / engine of LFS.

Forth, You are a DEMO, User, Meaning you don't know what 80% of the cars are and 93% of the tracks! If you want to support the devs and then maybe, Just maybe. They would put your super terrific high car models in the game. And my computer, Nvidia 8400 GS with 2.20 GHZ could manage 1,000,000 polygons moving at 50 MPH in a full field, You're talking about, Wait for it. 32,000,000 + Track Polygons! That's over 20 million! That's out of your mind! Plus the physics calculations!

That's not saying all computers can't do this, But i'm not one for spending 1000 - 2000$ just to play LFS, Hell no.

And
lillsnortan ..? What are you talking about?
This thread is closed

LFS "demo" users
(171 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG