The online racing simulator
GTX 460 FPS-Problem
(77 posts, started )
Hi,

here's a pic of voltage with lfs running on low fps:

does not really look alarming! I could not see dramatic drop.
Attached images
power.PNG
Quote from wildboy99 :i have seen two different 460's run lfs fine, one factory overclocked and the other standard both using the latest driver. i did notice though that yours seems to be running a bit warm at 61 C and the two that ive seen idle at about 25 C. I would have a look at how hot its getting while playing lfs. As far i as i knew from personal experience if its not getting enough power to the graphics card the computer refuses to turn on but i could be wrong as ive only seen it do that on 9800gtx+

are you sure / can u check if those two 460s you have seen where running @ decent details and fps ?????

I have been trying all night - not making any progress ....
-
(speedway) DELETED by speedway
yep absolutely positive, hit the built in frame limit of 100 everything maxed out and they only went to half clock speeds and only got to 45 degrees c which is why i think yours could be temp related as its idling hotter then that. Its just a bit strange that mafia works fine. Do you get artifacts on the screen or anything while playing? Also i did some reading about what happens if the power supplies rails are overloaded and the response is pretty much always the same. It wont turn on and if it does and then gets overloaded itll turn off for safety in good power supplies such as the seasonic like yours. Try some other new games if you have them such as just cause 2 as it gives the cards a good workout and see how many fps you get there
Ok guys - thanks a lot. It seems now proven that it is not a card/driver related problem since other people are not having those troubles ...

Back to the 12v rails: which good tools work to monitor voltage?

I tried seepdfan as you can see above.....
I stressed with furmark as you see attached.
While doing that the voltage in speedfan remains unchanged!

The temperature issue (caused by tv-card and mAtx mobo) is not the cause of the problem - the card does not get warm with lfs AND I tried without the pci-card which solves the temp but not the fps problem ....

Any more ideas ?????
Attached images
furmark.PNG
Kirt to engineering, WE NEED MORE POWER!
this thread might help you out. http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?p=1982398 over there they think that a good branded 450watt would be the very minimum you could run this card with.
i made sure i had enough power to run my GTX470 by buying a 750watt psu. i'd rather have too much power (less stress) than not enough power (more stress).
If a lack of power is the cause of "all evil" wouldn't that also show in the Mafia 2 Demo which I suppose takes way more performance then LFS !???

If anybody has suggestions how to sort this out I am so willing to ;-)
(Just trying to avoid more money spending ...)
LFS = CPU hungry. LFS needs more power to the cpu but your psu can't supply it because your GPU is hogging all the power.
M2 = GPU hungry. M2 doesn't use the CPU as hard as LFS so it doesn't require as much power. CPU still gets the same amount of power. this is a guess from what i learnt last night after talking with Dawedust. but don't tell him
so more power could sort this ...... would that show in cpu load? It does not go higher then 47% ......

Thanx for this hint!
400 watt is way to little for you get 600 as minimum and it should work fine
Ok -I am now officially pissed at this card ....

Done upgrading my PSU to 500 Watts Seasonic (strongest one in store) still having the exact same problem with lfs :-(

Help please!!!!!!!!
Is the GTX460 not a sli or xfire card with 2 cards in 1?... Maybe disable xfire or sli whatever it has and try again...
Foilpact: No, the GTX460 is a single-GPU card. It still draws a ton of power.
Quote from Forbin :Foilpact: No, the GTX460 is a single-GPU card. It still draws a ton of power.

You still think I am lackin power?
Quote from 318is :You still think I am lackin power?

What is the rating on the 12V rail of the PSU? How many Amps?
Hi,

I guess 2 times 17A.

It says:

+3,3####+5#####+12V1###+12V2###-12V####+5Vsb
24A####24A#####17A#####17A####0,8A#####2.5A
#################408W#######9,6W#####12.5W

Is that good or bad for me???
if this is any help: the upgraded 500W Seasonic comes with two 6pin connectors for the card .....

edit: been reading up on this and guess 2*17A should be good for my set :-(

suggestions anybody????????
-
(Bass-Driver) DELETED by Bass-Driver
The only other thing I can think of is motherboard drivers, particularly the pcie drivers.

You could also look for bios updates for the card from the manufacture.

Btw if you returned the card you should be able to get the 5830 or even the 5850 not the slower 5770 you mentioned.
FWIW, my previous PSU was an Antec 550W with two 12V rails rated at 19A each. My system would crash after about 30 to 60 minutes of playing MW2 with a 9800GTX.

I recently replaced it with a Seasonic X750 with a single 12V rail rated at 62A. So far, MW2 has been running great for hours on end.
the chance is that the cpu is bottle necking the GTX 460.

bottle necking is when one part limits another part, ie your gpu can process 300 fps, but than your cpu can only do 200fps of the cpu side of things therefore a bottleneck of 100fps

try to google about bottle necking
Quote from Bass-Driver :the chance is that the cpu is bottle necking the GTX 460.

bottle necking is when one part limits another part, ie your gpu can process 300 fps, but than your cpu can only do 200fps of the cpu side of things therefore a bottleneck of 100fps

try to google about bottle necking

The bottle neck is not defined by the difference in capabilities of the various subsystem. It's defined by the weakest link.

Assuming his CPU is the bottleneck, a certainty under LFS especially with his setup, I'm certain it is capable of more than 20fps in LFS.
just reinstalled the motherboard drivers ...... no change

Sadly the 5850 or 5830 are not available in the store right now - so I am kinda stuck with the "supposed to be better" gtx 460 ....
if my cpu was bottlenecking - I would expect to have the same problems with my old 9800gt! which I didn't ....

So if not the gtx "involves" the cpu in a different way, this does not look like the solution there imho.

edit: and yeah - even if my cpu was bottleneckin I should be able to get way more then 20fps!!!

GTX 460 FPS-Problem
(77 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG